Curzon Street Station

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Geo6606

Re: Curzon Street Station

Postby Geo6606 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:23 pm

Direct Rail Services wrote:[b]

60026 and 170504 cross each other at Curzon Street Junction:

You either have a problem with the lighting system on your 170 or there is a bit of light bleed there from the tail lights :?:

Direct Rail Services

Postby Direct Rail Services » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:28 am

All the lights are on beacuse I havent got round to fitting a decoder to the 170. Its being run on straight DC power.

Cheers.

DRS - Marc.
Pontypool Road (Western Region) Model Railway - 2009

ste234

Postby ste234 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:31 am

Direct Rail Services wrote:All the lights are on beacuse I havent got round to fitting a decoder to the 170. Its being run on straight DC power.

Cheers.

DRS - Marc.

Surely it would still be directional on DC power?
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

briantwigley

Postby briantwigley » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:00 am

Nope. All the lights are on, the decoder tells them which ones to light up.

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:06 am

In the early 90's when I used to have a few diesels (I know, misguided teenager - I've learnt my lesson! :lol: ) the lights used to light up only in the direction of travel and there were no tail lights (from memory). Do modern trains really have all lights working if not DCC?

Postby 47806 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:56 am

bsa77 wrote:In the early 90's when I used to have a few diesels (I know, misguided teenager - I've learnt my lesson! :lol: ) the lights used to light up only in the direction of travel and there were no tail lights (from memory). Do modern trains really have all lights working if not DCC?

Some of the new models eg. Bachmann 66 do have working head and tail lights. LEDs have made it easier to include lights in locos. However, DCC offers more control over lighting including the option to selectively turn lights on and off, depending again on the model. Even 8 years ago lighting in locos was basic, now its getting better all the time.
Follow the Progress on my Layouts - click here.
My Railway Photography - click here.

Lewis Nash

Postby Lewis Nash » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:04 am

hi marc

great stuff as usual,good to see the turbostar has finally arrived,i really like the class 60s so it is nice to see 2 of the great Hornby models working on curzon street station

also it is good to see the scenic part of the layout developing with the bridge being constructed and ballasting taking place,keep up the good work :wink:

Lewis
NASHTON
website- http://nashton.webs.com/index.htm

ARPLEY STREET
http://arpleystreetmodelrailway.webs.com/
class 60 preservation group-http://www.c60pg.co.uk/
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]

Direct Rail Services

Postby Direct Rail Services » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:52 pm

CURZON STREET MODEL RAILWAY NEWS UPDATE MONDAY 8th JUNE 2009:

Traction and Rolling Stock News:
One in one out, Curzon Street will be devoid of a 08 for the first time in 6months today as 08683 is shipped off to a new life in Derbyshire, however its replacement 08799 will be delivered to replace it on shunting duties within the next 10 days.

As my DMU fleet has also increased to a net total of two, Class 170 London Midland (2 Car) & Class 170 Arriva Cross Country (3 Car). The latter was a little of a surprise I thought I cancelled the order some time ago but it seems the email never got through to the correct person at the shop :? :roll: . Oh well never mind hey! I now need five! decoders for these two alone now!.

60081 Isambard Kingdom Brunel will be arriving in the next few days along with 60074 Teenage Spirit towards the end of next month, plus a little something else :wink: .

As usual pictures will follow this evening or tomorrow.

Cheers.

DRS - Marc.

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:58 pm

Marc
I assume the extra decoders are to sort the directional lighting on the 170's? I need to do this with my 170 Central trains DMU. Is there a cheap way to do this as you are only controlling the lights from each decoder, or do you still buy your usual decoder?
Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

Direct Rail Services

Postby Direct Rail Services » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:15 pm

Hiya Dave,

I plan on using basic four-function Hornby Decoders x3 for the XC 170 and x2 for the LM 170, one in each vehicle.

As I understand it, the motor vehicle decoder is to control the motor only (in the XC170 - 3Car) and lights only in the outer vehicles. So you only need a basic decoder.

DRS - Marc.

Direct Rail Services

Postby Direct Rail Services » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:40 pm

CURZON STREET MODEL RAILWAY NEWS UPDATE MONDAY 08th JUNE 2009 PART TWO:

Snap Happy Time:

London Midland Class 170 - 170502:

Arriva Cross Country Class 170 - 170104:

The 1201 Birmingham New Street - Lichfield City is overtaken by the 1019 Standsted Airport - Birmingham New Street Cross Country service at Ledburn Junction:

DRS - Marc.

briantwigley

Postby briantwigley » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:47 pm

I assume thats the 2nd 170 that was lost in the post? :wink:

Direct Rail Services

Postby Direct Rail Services » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:01 pm

That is correct sir :wink: :? 8)

DRS - Marc.

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:07 am

I've not long installed a single decoder in one of my Bachmann 2 car 158, and I can still put the unit back in it's box if I want to, although the corridor connection between the units isn't passenger friendly any more! and it relies on the pick ups in the motor car.

I will put a few pics in my layout thread in the next few days in case you want to see how I did it. I don't think it will be as easy to do on your three car unit, but if you're not worried about being able to split the unit, it is an option. I have also DCC-ed one of my Voyagers, I used three decoders on that so I could still split the unit up and I will use the connections from the driving car pick ups to help with my three car 158s.

Both units have independant tail lights (I used green and purple wires on the Hornby decoder) and directional headlights (I used white and yellow on Hornby decoder), although you might only need white and yellow on your units depending on how you want to stable/couple them.
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

Direct Rail Services

Postby Direct Rail Services » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:46 pm

CURZON STREET MODEL RAILWAY NEWS UPDATE WEDNESDAY 10th JUNE 2009:

Traction and Rolling Stock News:
The replacement pilot locomotive arrived today at Washwood Heath Yard in the form of 08799.
Initial reactions are that its much better in detail and extras then the Bachmann offering, opening cab doors, drop down cab windows etc.
However I think it needs its wheels cleaned and its a little sticky on some of the points.

Would it do any harm to the paint on the wheels if i removed the wheelsets and soaked them in white spirit overnight? and would this clean the wheels?

Snap happy:
60026 heads North on the Up Main, as the 1703 Leicester - Birmingham New Street Cross Country service heads south:

60007 and 170504 cross each other on Ledburn Junction:

Cheers.

DRS - Marc.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”