Curzon Street Station

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Direct Rail Services

Re: Curzon Street Station

Postby Direct Rail Services » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:13 am

hairyhandedfool wrote:
Direct Rail Services wrote:....As for the Voyager stabling.......Hmmmmmm........There's no where to storage them of scene but they could stable short term on the slow line platforms???....

Its your railway and if your fine with that then great, but it seems like a short term solution to a long term problem, a bit like the real railway would come up with! (as you and I would testify to no doubt)

In my opinion, (feel free to ignore it if you wish) you need to weigh up the pros and cons carefully. When I first got a job and starting really buying trains (like there was no tomorrow IIRC), my dad said that I would come across a time when I would have to move one train to get another going. I suspect you will face that situation if you stay with that course of action. If you truely want four running lines and want to make use of them, you need to keep them free of obstructions.

I would suggest either, finding space for a fifth platform or some storage, or, going to a double track mainline with a four or five platform station, which might free up some siding or scenic space aswell. You could even do what I did, scenic sections on top level, storage below, if done well you wouldn't have to lose your freight sidings, or atleast not all of them.

Like I say, its your railway and your rules, just giving food for thought. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Good Morning Sir,

Ive had a think about the storage problem, Ive decided to add a North facing bay, long enough for the required 5 car class 221.

DRS - Marc.
Pontypool Road (Western Region) Model Railway - 2009

Direct Rail Services

Postby Direct Rail Services » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:05 pm

CURZON STREET MODEL RAILWAY NEWS UPDATE SATURDAY 25th APRIL 2009:

The air turned blue this evening!.

Why does laying a yard of track take 70 minutes! ?.

Track laying News:
Anyway, Ive more or less completed the trackwork on Curzon Street, I toyed with the idea of adding a South End Bay but after the drama with the south end curves I decided to drop it and stick with just a North end bay instead. All the track is down apart from the South End sidings on Washwood Heath Yard and a very small section on the Down Fast in Curzon Street Station.

Traction and Rolling Stock News:
I've got about £100 to spend on a new locomotive, so as Ive only got the three 08's now Ive decided to go for a mainline locomotive. A Hornby 60 is my chosen subject but which one to buy ???? 60074 Cancer Trust? £99, or a standard run locomotive? I quite fancy the one in Railfreight Petroleum or the Hybid one in Coal/Transrail, but I dont want the Transrail on it only the Coal Symbols. Any ideas?

Picture Progress:

Ledburn Junction in its completed form.

The mainlines and North end of Washwood Heath Yard:

Looking from North to South, down the mainlines:

The main through roads in Washwood Heath Yard:

The to be laid South End sidings:

Bourne End Junction, with the South End headshunt on the right:

South End of Curzon Street Station. The Royal Mail terminal on the left:

The Royal Mail platform is capable of taking 6 Super BGs:

North End of Curzon Street, Platform 1 (bay) is to the left with 2-5 left to right:

All in all, a productive night really, I still need to fully tamp. the mainlines, especially round the curves then re-run the bus wires underneath then dropper it all up.

The its PLAY TIME !!!!!! :D :D :D

DRS - Marc.
Last edited by Direct Rail Services on Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ste234

Postby ste234 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:44 am

Hehe i was just looking throught RMWeb and came across this one :wink:
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

Direct Rail Services

Postby Direct Rail Services » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:46 pm

CURZON STREET MODEL RAILWAY NEWS UPDATE SUNDAY 26th APRIL 2009:

Curzon Street will have two mainline Type 5 locomotives during this week in the form of Hornby Class 60's, 60062 in Petroleum colours and 60066 in Coal/Transrail colours. Im also in for 60078 or 60026 but I'll have to see how that goes.

Track laying News:
Im going to crack on with the final tamping and pinning down of the track tomorrow in readyness for wiring to commence Tuesday or Wednesday.

DRS - Marc.

Direct Rail Services

Postby Direct Rail Services » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:17 pm

CURZON STREET MODEL RAILWAY NEWS UPDATE MONDAY 27th APRIL 2009:

Three in one out......With the expected arrival of 60062and 60066, Ive also got 67018 Rapid on its way to. But Ive put up for sale one of my EWS 08's in order for it to give up its decoder. As ive only two duties now for Class 08 traction on Curzon Street it seems wasteful to have three locomotives covering two duties, if needs be a mainline locomotive can undertake shunting duties as and when required.

Track Laying News:
Ive finished laying all the track on Curzon Street, along with final tamping and alignment, ready for dropper instalation.

DCC Wiring News:
Its started again!.......I soldered all the droppers to the area around Ledburn Junction ready to be attached to the bus wires tomorrow. Ive soldered the droppers to the sides of the rails this time instead of underneath like on Curzon Street MK1. This way I find is much easier and quicker.

Progress by Pictures:

The new South End sidings at Washwood Heath Yard:

The North End Locomotive Stabling Sidings:

A busy scene on Washwood Heath, as 08648 shunts some empty spoil wagons ready for the weekend engineering works:

08683 and 08963 rest between duties on the North End stabling Point. The Super BG 963 is stood infront of was dumped there about 10yrs ago, its now used as a stores vehicle:

DRS - Marc.

Lewis Nash

Postby Lewis Nash » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:52 pm

hi marc

what you are building is what i am hoping to create only on a much smaller scale, a modern image layout with ews and other private operators working. :D

btw what controllers do you use for curzon street station?
NASHTON
website- http://nashton.webs.com/index.htm

ARPLEY STREET
http://arpleystreetmodelrailway.webs.com/
class 60 preservation group-http://www.c60pg.co.uk/
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]

DB

Postby DB » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:36 pm

Will be looking forward to watching this one as it progresses :)

RE the sidings, what about moving the points round the corner, giving yourself another 10cm or so length for those long HST's :D Just a random idea?

Direct Rail Services

Postby Direct Rail Services » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:31 am

Lewis Nash wrote:hi marc

what you are building is what i am hoping to create only on a much smaller scale, a modern image layout with ews and other private operators working. :D

btw what controllers do you use for curzon street station?

Thanks mate, at the moment Im using the Hornby Select Controller, but I hope to upgrade to some sort of proper digital controller.

DB wrote:Will be looking forward to watching this one as it progresses :)

RE the sidings, what about moving the points round the corner, giving yourself another 10cm or so length for those long HST's :D Just a random idea?

I did think about moving the entry switch to the North End of the layout but this would require a major rebuild of most the northern end including the North End of the station to ! :D

Cheers.

DRS - Marc.

Lewis Nash

Postby Lewis Nash » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:42 pm

hi marc

the select is good for a layout like mine with only 2 ovals and some sidings but for a layout like yours then maybe the lenz or gaugemaster systems would be better,another question,would you be adding DB locos or not model ' up the minute 'and keep EWS and DRS etc,what livery do you prefer EWS red and gold or DB cherry red and traffic grey?
EWS for me :)

Also when you get round to ballasting i would advise binning the foam and using woodland scenics ballast,medium and fine grade are the best to use if you want to get a prototypical look,the previous ballast chippings used on Curzon Street Mk 1 looked a bit too coarse,If you do use this method then cork underlay is best to be laid first as it reduces noise from the trains. :wink:

Lewis
NASHTON

ARPLEY STREET
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]

Direct Rail Services

Postby Direct Rail Services » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:00 pm

Lewis Nash wrote:hi marc

the select is good for a layout like mine with only 2 ovals and some sidings but for a layout like yours then maybe the lenz or gaugemaster systems would be better,another question,would you be adding DB locos or not model ' up the minute 'and keep EWS and DRS etc,what livery do you prefer EWS red and gold or DB cherry red and traffic grey?
EWS for me :)

Also when you get round to ballasting i would advise binning the foam and using woodland scenics ballast,medium and fine grade are the best to use if you want to get a prototypical look,the previous ballast chippings used on Curzon Street Mk 1 looked a bit too coarse,If you do use this method then cork underlay is best to be laid first as it reduces noise from the trains. :wink:

Lewis

Im going to bin the Select in time, but until Ive got everything else I need a new controller isnt on the plans at the minute. As for modelling era........pretty much 'today era' with some odd balls such as a healthy amount of EWS 37's and 60s! :D :D :D
Im not going to be using the peco foam underlays and use proper ballast droppings. More noise the better!, I ran round the Super BGs wow! :twisted: :twisted: :lol:

Cheers.

DRS - Marc.

Direct Rail Services

Re: Curzon Street Station HELP Requested

Postby Direct Rail Services » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:58 am

CURZON STREET MODEL RAILWAY NEWS THURSDAY 30th APRIL 2009:

DCC Wiring News:

I fully completed the wiring, but when I came to test the layout nothing would work???, I wired the Select directly to the track instead of via the bus wired (which didnt work either) it worked for a short while until I set up a different route then it all shorted out and wouldnt work. Any ideas?

I could really do with someone local who is knowledgeable in DCC to come round and have a look, as ive run out of ideas to be honest :cry: .

Cheers.

DRS - Marc.

Class 66

Re: Curzon Street Station HELP Requested

Postby Class 66 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:01 pm

Direct Rail Services wrote:CURZON STREET MODEL RAILWAY NEWS THURSDAY 30th APRIL 2009:

DCC Wiring News:

I fully completed the wiring, but when I came to test the layout nothing would work???, I wired the Select directly to the track instead of via the bus wired (which didnt work either) it worked for a short while until I set up a different route then it all shorted out and wouldnt work. Any ideas?

I could really do with someone local who is knowledgeable in DCC to come round and have a look, as ive run out of ideas to be honest :cry: .

Cheers.

DRS - Marc.

Have you installed insulated joiners on the V part of your points ? Have you checked all the wires are correctly soldered onto the right side of the rail (i.e brown to brown, blue to blue etc)

Direct Rail Services

Postby Direct Rail Services » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:19 pm

Check, check, check :cry: . I was thinking that the only thing Ive done different from CZ MK1 is that ive wired the bus in a circle connected with a choc box. Would this cause it to short out?

I was thinking about wiring it in a U like CZ MK1 would that solve the problem ? If not im done :( .

Cheers.

DRS - Marc.

Lewis Nash

Postby Lewis Nash » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:24 pm

hi marc

wiring the DCC bus in a circle wouldnt affect anything as ninian junction is wired like that

Lewis
NASHTON

ARPLEY STREET
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]

Class 66

Postby Class 66 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:30 pm

Direct Rail Services wrote:Check, check, check :cry: . I was thinking that the only thing Ive done different from CZ MK1 is that ive wired the bus in a circle connected with a choc box. Would this cause it to short out?

I was thinking about wiring it in a U like CZ MK1 would that solve the problem ? If not im done :( .

Cheers.

DRS - Marc.

As Lewis points out my layout (Ninian Junction) is wired in a loop meaning thats not the problem.

Try replacing the wires going up to the controller off the bus, I've had this problem before and replacing the two wires seemed to work.

Could we get some pictures per chance ?

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”