Pleasant Edge - Jockman31

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
jockman31

Pleasant Edge - Jockman31

Postby jockman31 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:40 pm

When i moved into this property i couldnt have been given a better chance to turn my dreams into reality . I have taken measurements at what will be board height ( 2ft 6ins) . The loft is T shaped and absolutely huge.

the dimensions for this part are 16ft x 8ft 4ins.

this part is 18ft x 10ft 3ins

I'm still left with so much storage space below board height it's like having 2 extra rooms. The frames you see made up are just to give me an initial idea of the size i may work with. I still have to board a lot of the floor but am still very excited about starting the layout.
Last edited by jockman31 on Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My layout :http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18969

Matt Peters

Re: Man have I got my work cut out!!!!!!!!

Postby Matt Peters » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:42 pm

What scaLe are you going, if you say N or Z then you really are nuts!!

jockman31

Postby jockman31 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:46 pm

I'm going to do 00 gauge. i'm not crazy enough to do Z. I'll be able to run some realistic length trains finally.
My layout :http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18969

Matt Peters

Postby Matt Peters » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:51 pm

Nice, I wish I had the space to build my N gauge, its currently being collected in a box!

When does the building start then or do you have to sweeten the other half up over christmas first? Haha ..

jockman31

Postby jockman31 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:09 pm

I've been buying christmas prezzies and boarding the loft. We have 5 kids (4 are boys) hence the large layout. This also means i need to have 4 mainlines that they can each operate . I have slowly been buying second hand models for the last year and half.
here is what i now have.
3 x lima class 33 (repainted triple grey)
2 x lima class 26 (plus 1 spare body)
3 x hornby class 47 ( plus 2 spare bodies)
1 x lima class 50
2 x lima class 101
2 x lima class 117
10 x mk1 coaches ( hornby, lima)
8 x mk2 (hornby, lima )
9 x mk3 (hornby, lima)
3x hst ( 1 is hornby virgin with 2 coaches )
1 x lima class 08
some HEA hoppers
some ews wagons from Railroad range
and probably some more when i have a look.

jockman31

Postby jockman31 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:13 pm

I have finally boarded down one side of the loft. What you see here is where i will be having my main through station, ignore the trackwork i've been practising laying flexi straight it will be getting lifted again tomorrow.

Anything on the 4 main lines will have to do a double circuit to get back to the station as there will be a raised section all the way along the rear of the station. An estimation would be about 50 ft run.

This is my Lima 117 that i have fitted flush glazing to.( I do think it makes a hell of a difference )

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:07 pm

Well thats a great space you have there and another loft dweller to thrill us......keep us updated.

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

jockman31

Postby jockman31 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:30 pm

Finally got round to getting more baseboards down only got 1 end to board now.Have started to stock on track now, bought 15 lengths of flexi and a couple of Y points the other day. Got so much more to buy still it's scary. The full size of the layout is 17' 10" x 9'.

I'm still planning to do a double loop run for each track so from start point back to start would be approximately 60-70ft :D

This is 4th radius curve so have got plenty of space to play with woo hoo :D

Will be moving the aerial into the other section of loft soon.

The excitement is really starting to build up now. :)

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:04 pm

It's great to see another loft layout taking shape on here. You certainly got plenty of room.
I look forward to seeing your progress.
Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:54 am

Hi Jockman - I'll be particularly interested to see how this comes on: I have a 16' x 10' loft layout (Starlingford) so I'll be watching to see what I can learn from you!

Cheers,
Gavin

jockman31

Postby jockman31 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:58 pm

Hi making slow progress but have just been testing inclines have no idea what the gradients are, but they are gentle. Have made a single track double loop which crosses itself at 1 point. Not exactly sure what length a normal passenger train would be but thought i would see how far i could push it.
So have just run lima class 26 & 27( both powered) followed by a mixture of mk 2,3 & 4 carriages (17 in total ) with the whole train getting up to a nice speed on the inclines .
I have basically been using any pieces of wood i've got to support the track to experiment before i do anything permanent but am quite pleaseed with the result tonight .

EddScott

Postby EddScott » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:01 pm

Layout is coming along nicely. DO you have a problem with loft dust?

jockman31

Postby jockman31 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:38 pm

Only the dust i'm creating building it . Wont really find out until i start laying permanent track . Everything is on hold at the moment as i have just had surgery on an inguinal ( groin ) hernia on monday. Therefore will be a few weeks before i venture into the loft again. :D

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:02 pm

What a great space ... mind you, when 5 of you get up there it may not look so large !! I see you're working directly under the roofing felt .... I would suggest you try and add some form of inner 'cover' even if it's only an old sheet or summat like. I've had aircraft models in my similar loft for years and you do get the occasional condensation droplets falling in winter, these often contain some residue from the roofing felt and can leave brown dots which will not be good for track or rolling stock.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:20 pm

I hope it wasn't repeatedly clambering over those roof joists that caused the hernia?! :shock: :lol:

Still, while you're recovering downstairs it'd be a great time to start making some buildings for later use :wink:

Paul

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”