"Oliver's Road" Royal Mail Depot

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
piemanlarger

"Oliver's Road" Royal Mail Depot

Postby piemanlarger » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:47 pm

Anyway, the thing that got me interested in modern railways was seeing the class 67 hauled Tpo + pcv formations pass the house in the "good old days," it was about the only loco hauled stock i saw on the Swansea - London line that sits at the bottom of my garden.

So, after 4+ years and about 6 shows I decided to retire rimenough mpd

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7263&hilit=rimenough

as I think too many layouts are seen too often on the show cuircuit. Plus it was a pain transporting it as it was never designed to leave the house and now i can play when ever i want, least will be able to when the last (?) track alteration takes place.

I was going to do another depot but in the last few years there seems to be more than enough of them about, sadly not all with sound!!!

A good friend constructed the new coffin for the new "MPD" in the summer. Its 2 x 10 foot and letter box design (roof) so the sound bounces about inside and I have to say it sounds much better than the open (no roof) plan of Rimenough.

Thus, After several weeks of scribling (trackplanning) i have the basis of the new layout, though I dont see me laying track until the 1st of December. Hopefully it wont take long to do as its already booked for its first show on Jan 31st lol

Its loosly based on Bristol RMD but I will have two platforms that can each hold a 4 coach Pcv formation.
Simple one man operation, train in off fiddle, backs into platform via Pcv control. On platform one i hope to have a run round loop so the 67 runs round surprisingly enough, while on the other it will envolve some shunting. Should provide a bit of variety at shows in operation. If not, I plan on including on the layout a small stabling road area based roughly on Godfrey road (as was at Newport station) so other locos (37,60,66) can come in rest etc.

Photos and as it happens, as it happens.

plus lots of questions no dought and the obviuos complete change of plan over the festive period.

Note to self, no Xmas track laying when drunk!
Last edited by piemanlarger on Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A loco with no sound chip? Might as well be unpainted!
EWS sound loco depot viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7263
Olivers Road RMD viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18867&start=30

josh993

Re: Oliver's Road RMD

Postby josh993 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:40 pm

you know how much we like trackplans and pictures :wink:

sounds very intresting

piemanlarger

Re: Oliver's Road RMD

Postby piemanlarger » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:27 pm

Well, after several false starts and re-planning, This is the first result of track laying.

Its got more points that Iwanted, but I am going to have a play and see if some can be removed?
The reason there are more than i wanted is i think it gives more operation variety for exhibition?

Move 1
67 + 4 coach PCV train enters from Fiddle yard (black track bottom of scibble, err diagram) and takes points 1 then 2 into Platform 1. 67 runs round via loop 1 and re-joins pcv. Driver backs train into platform for unloading of pressies!

Thats really all i intended to happen here as not much else needs to.

Move 2
67 + 4 coach PCv enters from fiddle yard, crosses points 1, 2, 3 and takes left turn on point 5 into platform 2.
It then backs out of platform 2 and turns off point 3 to head into loco exchange siding via point 4.

In the loco exchange siding is another 67 waiting to take over.

PCV couples up to new 67 in exchange siding while the 67 that braught the train in uncouples, heads back down platform 2 (layout not big enough, should have made it 12 x 2 foot instad of 10 x 2 foot) and via point 7 enters loop 2.

New 67 now backs the pcv train into platform 2 and the train is unloaded / loaded.

67 in loop 2 can now either head to exchange siding or head to freight line 1,2 or more usually 3.

Move 3

67+ 3 coach NBA/NIA mail train enters from fiddle yard, crosses points 1, 2, 3, and enters platform 2. Loco runs round via loop 2 and re-joins the 3 coaches.

Move 4
Same move as no 3 above can happen on platform 1

Tpo sidings just have a single tpo coach there, not used during shows.

Any 67 can be replaced by a loco from the Frieght sidings. Lines 1, 2 and 3 are a small stabling point loosly based on Godfrey road at Newport. Light engine class 37, 60, 66 and the odd 67 will enter from the (rear of board) fiddle yard and simply either shut down until needed, or idle away until new driver books on. The idea is that rather than just 67 on the layout it allows a bit of vairety.

If i dont have loop 2 i cant run a 4 coach PCV train into platform 2, only the 3 coach mail train. Seems to me all day at a show just running round in platform 1 and exchange in platform 2 may not have enoguh operator variety?

Hence the over complicated track plan I have arrived at lol?

Any comments for improvements, for or against, all will be considered.

piemanlarger

Re: "Oliver's Road" Royal Mail Depot

Postby piemanlarger » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:49 am

Just a couple of pics showing the start of platform building with two then one pcv trains ready to depart.
Hornbys factory will be converted into the sorting office.
Class 60 sits on Olivers road stabling yard track 1

Should pick up backdrops tday which will allow modelling to start and gather pace?

piemanlarger

Postby piemanlarger » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:26 am

Things are progressing, but a bit slower than i had hopped.

Backdrops are in so permenat modelling has began. Well, three lengths of track were pre wired and laid for the stabling roads!

Hope to test the point motors today on a couple of points, see how much of a difference there is between the standard peco point motor and the "W" version using Ls 150.

More as it happens

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:47 am

Interesting idea to do an RMT, does make a change from the endless models of TMDs. Good luck with it.

Are those PCVs kit built?
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

piemanlarger

Postby piemanlarger » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:51 am

hairyhandedfool wrote:Interesting idea to do an RMT, does make a change from the endless models of TMDs. Good luck with it.

Are those PCVs kit built?

Lol, I did the mpd about 4 years ago when i firdt got into sound.

PCV are rtr replica with some bits added.

zabdiel

Postby zabdiel » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:54 am

Looks like a good plan - it's always good to see believable modern modelling.

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:58 am

Good plan and nice idea. Is it normal in modern railways to have concrete sleepers on "straight" track but for point work they still use wooden points? I've noticed this a lot on modern type layouts and have often wondered if its prototypical or just because Peco only do concrete sleeper flexi track and not concrete sleeper pointwork.

piemanlarger

Postby piemanlarger » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:32 am

bsa77 wrote:Good plan and nice idea. Is it normal in modern railways to have concrete sleepers on "straight" track but for point work they still use wooden points? I've noticed this a lot on modern type layouts and have often wondered if its prototypical or just because Peco only do concrete sleeper flexi track and not concrete sleeper pointwork.

Yes, there are still alot of wodden sleeper points about on main line mixed with concrete track.

Would like to have all concrete points, something to replace in the future when peco do theirs.

compramise for now though.

zabdiel

Postby zabdiel » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:04 pm

Cover it in grime and it won't notice :D

piemanlarger

Postby piemanlarger » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:21 pm

zabdiel wrote:Cover it in grime and it won't notice :D

Trouble is, as a new-ish mail terminal it was not that dirty!

Direct Rail Services

Postby Direct Rail Services » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Very nice idea mate, Ive toyed with the idea of a Royal Mail Terminal a few times. I got as far as practice laying and planning just before I started Dungeness.

What stopped me? Expensive PCVs and the Lima/Hornby 67's werent all that.

But your set up is very nice indeed, have you thought about this kind of formation/move if it fits of course:

1M78 67+PVC+NKA+NKA+PCV arrives in the platform. 67 + Train drops off into headshunt. Another train 1M79 arrives with the same formation, 67 drops off and runs round to the rear of the train.

1M78 backs its train onto 1M79 to make a double PCV+NKA+NKA+PCV x2 formation with 67's on both ends.

Train sets off to Willesden PRDC. :D :D :D :D

Good Luck with it mate excellent work.

DRS.
Pontypool Road (Western Region) Model Railway - 2009

piemanlarger

Postby piemanlarger » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:22 pm

The Mail depot is loosly based on bristol so the double PCV train was a thaught. Thing is, the platforms would have to have been around 9 - 10 foot long and really the layout about 15-20 foot long + 10 foot fiddle yard, which is far bigger than i wanted for this simple one man operated layout.

However, I have plans to build a large tailchaser, something like 30-40 foot x 12 foot. Very simple layout of two main lines and passing loops. A watch the trains go by layout. Thats all it was going to be but I might well introduce a station + bay / loop with option for tpo working on that.

TheFreightMaster123

Postby TheFreightMaster123 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:07 pm

Sorry for the noobish question, but what exactly is a PCV? At first glance I'd say parcel carrying vehicle, but the PCV formation would appear to have a second loco at each end? Thanks for the help,
Cam
P.S watching with interest!
Official Wagonaholic
Davidm wrote:Remember, that at our scale of 2mm/ft, 0.1mm is approximately equal to 2”, and a Super Voyager would fly if it hit that at 90 mph.

One of NRM's 2 official Freight masters PM if interested in joining the Freight Crew.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”