Two Short Planks

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
JamesH30

Re: Two Short Planks

Postby JamesH30 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:38 am

Hi

Read your progress with interest - are you planning to put a backscene on at all? That would certainly 'contain' the layout.

Cheers James

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:25 pm

Hi James,

I would have liked a back scene, only the layout is very mobile and I've been persuaded to take it to an exhibition -- By which time I'll (should) have it finished. The viewing is to be from the oposite side of the Tank Farm and I'm going to get some thick clear plastic sheeting about 8" high to screw along the front edge for protection. It will need protection as it'll be on quite low trestles to make it suitable for wheelchair viewing, but also too easily in reach for young children, and perhaps even 'light' fingers. This means the operators (2) will be behind and need easy obstruction free access as all my de-coupling will be manual - An interesting point I have yet to find anywhere where prototype railways de-couple without manual help .......... so why try to do it electrically ?

With two operators, one running DMU's on the three viewing side lines which includes the main up and down lines, the other, probably me will be dealing with oil trains that have come in and shunting 45 tonne monobloc tanks into the docks/wharf/tank farm siding one at a time. The reason why they MUST go in singly is because the very tight turn - MUCH tighter than 1st curve will not allow enough movement in the tension lock couplings, with the result it derails wagons. I only intend using the class 06 0-4-0 shunters here as the prototype would take a 20 chain curve whereas even the 08 needed a 40 chain curve. My access is very tight because this section was an afterthought, but the 06 manages it fine, I have 2 and as daft as it may seem they are two of my favourite motive units. Mind you they only run well slowly after DCCing !! even then there can be stalls on turnout frogs ..... but I've noted the 'above stall speed' which is still slow.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:31 pm

Started the banking to the tunnel mouth today - building up with styrene and covering parts with kitchen towel wetted in the standard ballasting PVA/water mix. When this has set, possibly tomorrow I hope to mix up the plaster to finish covering and form to the profile I want. I also stuck brick type paper inside the tunnel lining. That Hornby signal box is just placed as is the platelayers hut, they'll be worn out before the rest is ready !!
For a first ever railway layout I've not had to change much

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:26 pm

Now I think I know what happened to that missing picture - I moved it within Photobucket to a folder/album on my railway work. I think that has changed the Photobucket address and prevents this Forum from accessing it.

So I've decided to add it again from the new address.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:40 pm

Having sorted that out, I'll get back to what I intended doing tonight.

I was accused by my wife of playing trains today ...... No dear I was checking certain electrical circuits and track for uniform running - well that's my excuse anyway.
The layout was put outdoors and a few photos taken with a more representative selection of rolling stock.

First the DMU coming in through the sidings

Similar view from the road on Sentinel Hill

Three empty Esso petrol tanks going out behind the class 47

Sorry to just add pictures of me 'playing', but what else is a (incomplete) layout for ???

Geoff T.

JamesH30

Postby JamesH30 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:46 am

Hello Geoff

The 'outside' photos you took look fantastic - there is something to be said for natural lighting.

I like the gentle curve on the track leading upto the tunnel - a nice feature - makes your eyes work a but harder!

What is next then after you have finished the hill around the tunnel mouth?

Cheers James

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:29 pm

Oh dear, I shall be in trouble ...... Just got in from the Milton Keynes show with a couple of purchases, a Bachmann 37 in blue with sound and an old Bachmann 03 shunter, in blue of course .... plus a few other bits. BUT being my club I got in for free, I mean what's £160 for a nice Saturday out !!

Back to the layout, Hi James, I have to finish the oil tanks and the landscaping on 'A Bit On The Side', there are a few sections of ballasting, including through the tunnel. The tunnel section is problematical as that lifts off, but I want the ballast to seal against the aparent base, so I intend constructing a small wall stuck to the base with the ballast stuck right upto and against it, the top of which should meet the curviture of the tunnel lining ..... I hope!

I also want to add 3 lights under the station canopy, two lights down by the headshunt and abandoned water tower where there will also be a short unloading bay. Then I must move on to construct a cassette type fiddle yard the other side of that tunnel where trains can run into and stop through a cut rail without operator input. The idea is that the cassette can then be removed, or turned through 180 degrees and feed onto the in line. I only have ideas in my mind for the way I'll make that, but it becomes an essential part of the exhibition flexibility. When I started it was simply for fun and the grandchildren, now I have a completion deadline for the Sandy show in July.

We intend running with two daisy chained Hornby Select units and I fear will need some practice to get that right - two operators on one layout, MMmmm ????

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:51 pm

Under an hour and a half since my last post ....... been busy as I've covered the tunnel entrance banking. This will be left for 2 days before I muck it about any more.
The basalt rock face was painted last evening with Humbrol paint, will have quite a lot of greenery before I'm done with it, Oh and a few sheep !!

Geoff T.

jelly_p

Postby jelly_p » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:53 pm

That rock face looks really good.

boyofbears

Postby boyofbears » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:56 pm

hi,

looking really good, those pictures outside really bring it to life :D I was at the Milton Keynes Exhibition, best one of been to in ages! Have you got any pictures as my camera was flat :cry:
my imaginery friend thinks u have problems.......wait........
my layout viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17368 new!!!

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:55 am

Hi boyofbears,

Sorry I didn't take mine - I just enjoy the moment, when you're taking photos you somehow miss the real show atmosphere and have to live it through the pictures you've taken, well at least that's how I feel. I'll ask the boys on Tuesday as a few members were about with their cameras.
It was a good show, I even looked after one layout while Geoff went and had a lunchtime break - thought I'd blown one of his point motors as it stopped responding. It seems that you have to move his lever very slowly, me I'm too used to DCC and dialing in numbers as fast as I can (I even beat the system there sometimes). It's criminal, but I can't even remember his layout name, but it was very old '0' with a few small tank engines. There were a few bargains as was my sound 37 at £119.99, Hattons discount price being £128, the secondhand Mainline Class 03 cost me £30 and runs well, but will need chipping before I can use it, my favourite motive power seems to be shunters. I'm now looking for the Bachmann 04 in blue at a reasonable price. I'd love a 02, but it's only available in kit form and at £90.50 - I don't love it that much !!!

Geoff T.

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:05 am

Hi Geoff,

Just gone back to the beginning of your thread - only started in October and look how far you've come, the scenic detail and effects are stonking.

All you need is to get rid of those horrible blue things, get some steam engines and you will have a superb layout!! :lol:

boyofbears

Postby boyofbears » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:03 am

Dad-1 wrote:Hi boyofbears,

Sorry I didn't take mine - I just enjoy the moment, when you're taking photos you somehow miss the real show atmosphere and have to live it through the pictures you've taken, well at least that's how I feel. I'll ask the boys on Tuesday as a few members were about with their cameras.
It was a good show, I even looked after one layout while Geoff went and had a lunchtime break - thought I'd blown one of his point motors as it stopped responding. It seems that you have to move his lever very slowly, me I'm too used to DCC and dialing in numbers as fast as I can (I even beat the system there sometimes). It's criminal, but I can't even remember his layout name, but it was very old '0' with a few small tank engines. There were a few bargains as was my sound 37 at £119.99, Hattons discount price being £128, the secondhand Mainline Class 03 cost me £30 and runs well, but will need chipping before I can use it, my favourite motive power seems to be shunters. I'm now looking for the Bachmann 04 in blue at a reasonable price. I'd love a 02, but it's only available in kit form and at £90.50 - I don't love it that much !!!

Geoff T.

hi,

yeah it was a brilliant show, and i no what you mean about loosing he feel with a camera, i went with my grandad and my cousin (first time he had ever seen a model railway, and he loved it!) because we are starting out on a layout (first ever for my grandad and my cousin) in his loft and there was a few layouts there we really liked and would like some pictures of. We picked up some bargains, peco medium radius points £3.60 each (guy did a deal, 7 for £15!), that were fine after a good clean, got 7 wagons that were £2.00 each, a oxford diecaast car and some kits for my cousin e.g. ratio plastic kits and some card kits. Also got a solddering iron. It was a brilliant show. The best thing i find is to look under the stall and see what they have in the boxes there, you will always find a good deal!!!
my imaginery friend thinks u have problems.......wait........
my layout viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17368 new!!!

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:53 pm

Thanks for that bsa77,

Your comment made me follow through from the beginning and it's surprising just how much I've learned since I started. All in there have been few thing I regret, I've managed to stay with the original plan that was drawn on two old and dirty 5 ft x 6 inch boards, each side being representative of one board. I think that's the secret of getting so much done, there has never been a need to tear anything up for redesign.

I hope I'm going to have two light signals and two semaphore signals ...... and believe it or not I could see some late steam locos working here as the scenic surroundings would be quite acceptable. Her who must be obeyed, after being on the footplate of The Flying Scotsman many years ago fancied working on a preservation line - doing just the gardening if they wouldn't allow her to drive!! I probably have enough diesels now and any more could come in for critisism, but I bet I could get away with the occasional steamer .......... perhaps ??

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:27 pm

Spoilt myself today - just had to play with that Bachmann sound 37. I was also fitting in the last of my 'contact' electrical interconnects between boards. I took a couple of photos to show the idea, which so far has proved fully serviceable and saves having any plugs with dangling wires.
First (no photo) you place 2 or 3 (depending on use) heavy duty drawingpins at the board interface. When bolted together the drawingpin head leaves an indentation. Drill a small hole alongside the drawingpin head and solder a wire to it, going back under your board. Then drill 2 holes in the dented face on the other board, one in the centre, the other just outside the pressure mark. Take half a straightened paperclip, solder to your wire, then feed through the centre hole. Bend the protruding end into a square horseshoe shape with the end being embedded back down the other hole. This anchors to paperclip and prevents the end spreading out when under compression.

Wire ends with lightweight cable

Drilled holes in the dent

Squared end, with the inside being bent over at 90 degrees

Two such connections are carrying the power from the station board, to the tunnel board and then into the side mounted Tank Farm - worked 1st time

Oh, and that sound 37, don't buy one otherwise you'll want to change your complete collection !!!!!!

Geoff T

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”