Two Short Planks

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
skyblue

Re: Two Short Planks

Postby skyblue » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:16 pm

These videos of your Hornby 0-4-0s continue to amaze me with their smooth running. I don't know if I envy you as you have 200 wagons, or whether I don't envy you because you've got to sort out all those couplings!

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:28 pm

Hi skyblue,

To be honest Marilyn has never run better, she used to stall much more and as the years have passed there is
less & less stalling. Bought in 2008 and frequently used there must be real signs of wear in all the axle holes,
couldn't call them bearings, and I suppose the additional free play helps keep one wheel on each side in contact
with the track ?
The wagons .... I was bored yesterday afternoon and ordered another 12, which of course I urgently need for
some reason that would be difficult to explain to the wife !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:06 pm

Speeds look good to me, I'm not a fan of trains trying to break the speed record either, just curious, does that brake van in the second video have any weight on board as I saw it give a little wobble as it came round the curve.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:42 pm

Hi Nick,

No I've not ballasted any wagons, other than adding fixed loads.
There are a few that have a built in wobble where no doubt a change
of wheel-set could bring tham back, but so long as it's not a real
rock 'n roll I leave alone.
I do have some that I've taken out the awfull plastic coal loads and
then needed to strip out the manufacturers weight to be able to run
as empties - they are so light I'll have to add something or they'll
always be falling off, particularly being pushed.

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:07 pm

I've actually got a couple of brake vans myself that are so light that if I laid a wafer biscuit on top I'd be doubling the weight, (guess what I'm munching atm,) I need to invest in some liquid lead or something if I ever want to use them lol.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:57 pm

Im really enjoying the steady stream of clips on your channel :) You've got a good prototypical feel going with your station and movements. Those shunters are almost hypnotic :D

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:43 am

Hi THE CHIEF,

Thanks for the comments. I love just shunting wagons around placing anything anywhere
and then trying to marshall into a specific order. I would like to show some shunting action,
but with 'hand of god' uncoupling and slow running it would take ages to record and be so
slow & long winded that few would watch !!
Even after all the years this has been made I love seeing a freight wriggle it's way to the out
line.
The next video will have Iron Ore freight ...... 6 more 22/24 ton hoppers to arrive in the next
two days .... bringing my ore freight stock up to 31. Weathering needed so if the new is run
alongside the existing weathered stock it'll show the stark difference.

Geoff T.

Kindling

Postby Kindling » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:19 pm

Dad-1 wrote:but with 'hand of god' uncoupling and slow running it would take ages to record and be so
slow & long winded that few would watch !!

Geoff T.

I would !!

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:58 pm

Hi Kindling,

When I install my 'new' automatic uncoupling system I'll have a go ........

O.K. My wagon delivery has arrived, 2 each Bachmann 5,7 & 8 plank BR wagons and 6 Dapol Iron Ore Hoppers.
Well Dapol have let this one slide, even now after many people must have informed them they are still turning
these hopper wagons out marked 12 Ton. Hattons have them advertised as 22/24 ton which is exactly what they
were. How do I know Dapol have been informed .... I sent them an email probably 2 years ago now. These must
be new production, new code product packaging, but a lazy attitude ???
Right you can buy Bachmann 22/24 ton hoppers, but in this case the Dapol has less visual blemishes. Here you see
the Bachmann one with moulding sink marks, both on the inside ends, 2 each end and several along the top of the
solebar.

Dapol has none here

But there is a moulding hole that needs filling on 'empties'

Can't say I like the Dapol red plastic ore load !! Then one can always add your own.

Geoff T.

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:11 pm

I like the weathering on that ore hopper - did you do all that today? It usually takes me ages to pluck up the courage to take weathering powders and paint to a model! Your iron ore load does look far better than the Dapol one - which I presume is what is in the wagons in the background of the last photograph?

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:25 pm

Good Heavens skyblue, I don't work that fast !!
It's taken me until now to take all from their boxes, put on the track & photograph.
The weathered ones were done a couple of years ago, 2 each Bachmann & Dapol,
with one of each with a load .... I always say if a load is sent one way the empty
must come back !!
When I start the next weathering session I need to be in a confident mood - first
the stanley knife to scratch, cut chunks from the top rim, then put some blobs or
runs of superglue down the outsides (to represent dents from inside). Only then
get some various colours on the pallete - in truth inside a rattle can lid and mix as
the mood takes me. Easy to be nervous when, as with these, you're attacking £48
worth of brand new wagons ..........

Here are some of my new Bachmann planked stock.

Geoff T.

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:37 pm

Dad-1 wrote:The weathered ones were done a couple of years ago, 2 each Bachmann & Dapol

Oh - I see. Maybe it was a bit too much to think that you could do that in a couple of hours! :lol:

Your method of representing dents sounds interesting - have you any pictures of the results?

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:15 pm

For those who like slow freight trains
Marilyn going twice as fast as she needed,
but then a video twice as long for the same
action would be boring !!

http://youtu.be/jfR6mghNjew

Geoff T.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:03 am

Geoff, very slow running is ok if you want to show off the quality of your track or the excellence of your locos, but it doesn't happen like that in real life. In your video Marilyn is running at just the right speed judged by the rotation of the coupling rods, which is something that doesn't get distorted by viewing angles, accuracy of scaling, selective compression of distances etc. etc. I might expect a shunter to take things a bit more carefully when deep down in the sidings, where a spade is needed to confirm the presence of sleepers, or curves have given way to short straight bits with kinks at the joints, but if the driver took that train through the crossover any slower he'd be getting an earful from the signalman.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:25 am

Hi John,

Interesting what you said about coupling rod action giving a good guide to correct speeds. On
St Oval I had a track & board join right where I would sit and freight speed could be judged by
the rythm of wheels passing over the join.
I recall sitting in cars at crossing gates while freight rolling stock passed by over less than perfect
track. Just as well modellers on average have better track than good old BR used to have.

Geoff T.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”