Two Short Planks

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

Re: Two Short Planks

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:39 pm

I occasionally add photographs of running at my club layout.
Here is Heljan Class 33 Railfreight Distribution while hauling a load of 10 LWB vans, 14 standard vans, plus 4 open wagons and a brake. Still had power to spare, these are fantastic locomotives at hauling long trains.

Hope someone enjoys.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Polyrhythms

Postby Polyrhythms » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:21 pm

Hi Geoff, love your layout, and the "dutch" 37 is great :) Wouldn't mind one of those myself, how are they?

Cheers,
Sam

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:19 pm

Hi polyrhythms,

They pull very well - being early ViTrains production they have one traction tyre on each bogie, but I've never had any problems because of that. Trouble is you're too late now as the Hattons of Liverpool special offer of £39 each is just about finished - today at 17.15 Hrs they show just 1 left !!

My trouble is I have no infrastructure rolling stock to go with mine - and rolling stock becomes the expensive item should you want to pull a decent length train. The example of my Heljan 33 ..... that was another of Hattons special £39 jobbies, however the 10 LWB vans cost something over £120 !!

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:49 pm

wow geoff! I'd seen Glentruss Halt and had never seen this thread, wowowowow!!!!!!

This is amazing, to the same standard of Glentruss.......BRILLIANT!!!!

Keep up the good work, look forward to seeing updates

Ben
A layout is never finished, it's just a shortage of ideas.

Film-making Railway Enthusiast.

81D

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:45 pm

Hi trainsandco,

Thanks for your comments ! Two Short Planks will run on as I add more ground and later working light signals, but I just enjoy the construction side of railway modelling. So rather than add another layout into this thread I'm starting a new one following my initial thoughts in the planning section.
Let's see how that works out !!

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon May 10, 2010 5:57 pm

For the last 2 Months this layout has been hiding in the garden shed ........
However back in February I had a couple of invitations to exhibitions, but could only attend one. Next weekend I'm running 'Two Short Plank's at the Corby & District MRS one day show at Rothwell Football clubs ballroom in Cecil Street.
This has meant giving the track a thorough cleaning and checking that all points work OK from the decoders. As we read so much about how Insulated frog points are no good for slow running I thought I'd add this video of a Hornby chipped Bachmann 56XX reversing into a siding slowly ..... A bit like watching paint dry ....... However no problems going backwards over 3 points and a double slip ....... This loco's a goodun !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6Gypiwyego

Geoff T.

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Mon May 10, 2010 6:22 pm

Nice layout...looks as if it should have an (steam driven) 0-4-0 and a long train of short carriages after it !
rocketman

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon May 10, 2010 6:49 pm

Youtube were slow in processing the video ...... it is live now.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:57 pm

It's been a long time since I put anything on here. My excuse has been the demolition of my old (falling down) garage and the adding of a new structure in which I have set up Two Short Planks.
Here is an attempt to show a late evening departure - sorry for the video quality, I have problems with trying to drive the trains and use a camera at the same time. In addition the small stills digi camera is not exactly going to give quality results, but it's fun trying !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM7u76drgNY

I hope this works as it was disconnected a couple of times during uploading.

Geoff T.

jack richards

Postby jack richards » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:23 am

Hi Excellent video. Did you fit the interior lighting for the DMU? - Very atmospheric the whole scene.

Thanks for posting hope to see more.

Jack

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:47 am

Hi Jack,

Yes, I added the interior lighting from LED self adhesive strip I bought at a show. My length was 6 LEDs which I cut into 2 x 3 the minimum the block was wired for because of moulded in resistance. This was just one length of 3.
I now wish I'd added running lighting and probably will in the future because when running in the near dark you don't always remember which way the controller's set and at least with lights you'd know !

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:58 pm

Perrhaps I should have put this in the General Discussion section, but didn't want to 'hog' space there

How important to YOU are figures and the making up of small cameo scenes ?
There are some who produce great layouts, buildings and scenery, but to me the pictures seem 'dead' as there is no people, freight, parcels, or even rubbish laying around.
I keep all my people 'loose' in a jam jar and every time the layout's used I end up with different scenes. :-

The oil yard's road end.
Terminus bufferstops
Spare people from today
looking back at the terminus
Seats, waste bins, people
The hill trail

Sorry about most photographic quality as I'm still learning this camera (broke the last one)
I know I'll have to add background scenes to the garage wall - grey concrete looks naff !!

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:46 pm

More playing around at night :-

Never clear with slow shutter and hand held, but O.K.

Geoff T.

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:50 pm

I'm surprised all the lights are working!!

Wouldn't it be prototypical to have one 'broken' :lol:

Ben
A layout is never finished, it's just a shortage of ideas.

Film-making Railway Enthusiast.

81D

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:49 pm

Hello Geoff,
Given the new Governments Edict that "stand-around, do-nothing, produce even less, surplus to requirement people", inclusive of All students, should be reduced, at least, by 25% and Posted Directly to ME, c/o Michael Thornberry, Rose Cottage, Eastgate, DL13 2HU Many Thanks Geoff :P :lol: Small Mercies Gratefully Received,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.
PS: Your Lay-out will look even better with less people on it :)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”