Two Short Planks

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

Re: Two Short Planks

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:03 am

Hi TOM M,

No real problems although we can only drive 2 items of traction at a time due to it being a simple out and back layout, there's simply not enough time to operate more without having regular crashes. We have had up to 8 ..... perhaps 9 sitting live on the track, but when not moving there is a negligable power demand to just run the decoder. We have had 3 sound locos on at the same time, although I only have 2 so I reserve judgement on what would happen on lengthy running with 2 sets of traction while say 3 sound locos sit with engines ticking over and lights on.
I do have the 4 amp transformer which was used at shows, but tend use the 1 amp version for most running when by myself at home, but then I can only drive 1 safely with several others on track live, but stationary. For one of my videos I did drive 2 with another sound loco sitting in the station and experienced no problems, but probably had the 4 amp supply attached for that.

Why do you ask ..... are you having some difficulty ?

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

TOM M

Postby TOM M » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:26 pm

hi
thanks for replying so quickly ,i was wondering because ive heard that when some people have had all live sidings thee has been flickering lights or jumpy locos and when i actually start my layout i want to do it right and so ,if i have several locos wirh lights on in a siding and 2 or 3 running at a time and eventually hopefully sound locos do you think i will need a "5 amp" controller

tom m
my layout
viewtopic.php?t=11560
i must admit i did it

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:40 pm

Hi TOM M,
If you're just starting and have newer locomotives then the as supplied 1 amp power pack will do for several 'live' locos including lights. Then when you have the feel of running you growing system and include sound locos it'll be time to look for that 4 amp supply (not 5 amp as you mention). I bought my 4 amp unit on Ebay from a reputable company for around 1/2 of reccommended retail ..... they often put these on Ebay, some with different 'Buy Now' prices, given time and no particular hurry good deals can be obtained. The company I have in mind is into slot car racing where the same power pack is used on Scalextric.
My reason for mentioning newer locomotives is because older motors often require more power, in particular many of the Hornby range making it advisable to avoid the Hornby decoders, however the Hornby decoders work reliably in most new trains. This thirst for power means the higher rated unit becomes more suitable for chipped older equipment.

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:40 pm

Geoff
Is there a Hornby part number for the 4 amp supply that we should be looking out for on Ebay?
I have been thinking about the uprated power supply for the select too, but don't have a clue what I'm looking for.
Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:15 pm

Hi Rammy,
How's it going ? Can't recall seeing much from you recently ?

The 4 amp power unit is C7024 ...... Hornby Reccommended Retail £31.75. Jadlam Racing ? seem to put these on Ebay at just under £30 for buy now, but every so often put one in the auction and I got one last summer for under £19 including postage. Currently they have one that's still got 2 days to go, had 6 bids and currently stands just under £17. If you bide your time and pounce at the right time occasionally you can grab a bargain - all these Jadlam units are new.

Geoff T.

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:32 pm

thanks for the info Geoff
Image and Image

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:53 pm

Sorry to indulge myself ..... but,
Station end out for the first time since September.
A Diesel Gala day, with a visit from Caledonian 123 using a Caledonian Pug as station pilot. So who would be Star of the day ? need I ask ?
Introducing my 2 new ViTrains Class 37's

May post a few more later - this session was 11 shots, but I now have to tidy all these loco's away into their boxes.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:28 pm

As I said this is just self indulgence ..... but I still hope the photo's aren't a bore.

Just one working line open into platform 2, where is everybody ?

My new 'Dutch' class '37' that arrived yesterday

My new Petroleum Sector '37'

Crowds loved the Caledonian ......

Geoff T.

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:10 pm

Is that Dutch 37 British Steel Hunterston? If so, it's an excellent loco. It was one of ViTrains's first-tooling attempts, so it has the traction tyres that I believe they no longer use, but the practical upshot of this is that it will pull everything in the world. Mine can and has pulled every item of rolling stock I possess, although now I normally just run it on my breakdown train...

Black-Marlin's photograph no longer available - Thanks PB !!

Regards,
Gavin

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:19 pm

Spot on Gavin,

Of my 5 x '37's, 4 are ViTrains and as you say they do have traction tyres something I don't really like. However they run very reliably, including slow speed, with traction power beyond reason !! My other '37' is a Bachmann sound which certainly dosen't feel as solid when being handled although that again is very heavy and pulls well. Hunterston at £39 from that Liverpool box shifter is a bargain I couldn't ignore any longer !!

Geoff T.

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:30 pm

Intersting...I had read somewhere that the Bachmann 37s with their 'all-wheel drive' had great problems with cornering and pointwork, something to do with lateral stresses put on middle-axle driving wheels creating problems in the gear train. Has this been your experience? (I think Bachmann has also reverted to 4 (innermost/outermost) -axle drive, but I don't know if that's accurate). I'd quite like a Bachmann 37 (in BR Green), as the bodyshell looks the business, but not if there are reliability/running problems...

Cheers,
Gavin

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:01 pm

Hi again Gavin,

Can't give an accurate answer to that as "Two Short Planks" as next to no curves although there are loads of turnouts. These are all Peco streamline, all but 2 being short, the other 2 medium as well as a double slip and a single slip. I've not noticed any problem, and to be quite honest for the actual time run with that loco I wouldn't expect any. Unlike those with a circuit I only have 15 feet of out and back when fully set up.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:12 pm

After a very long period of inactivity on this layout - it sat shivering in the garden shed from around September, I have again started some work.
Here is the first and only shunters ground signal in place - all the other 17 or so will be white with a red band. Made from the Ratio kit (4 per bag). It will need some blending in with some dirt paint and a few blades of grass.

Will it still be attached after the weekend ? don't know, but it's time to start adding signals

Geoff T.

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:50 pm

Nice to see you back working on the layout Geoff.
Image and Image

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:56 pm

Do these things get smaller - or is my eyesight getting worse ??

The Ratio ground signal production line.

Next I have to search out some working starter signals (green/red) to mount just out from the platforms.

Geoff T.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”