Two Short Planks

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

Re: Two Short Planks

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:00 am

Hi All and Imsrail,
The main board ballasting will start as soon as I've finished painting the rails rusty AND fixed the turnout motors. Point motors are my current concern as I intend using mostly Peco PL11 above board motors brcause I didn't quite know where they would all be needed. Now I find with just a '6 foot' there is not quite enough room, but by trimming the redundant side locating legs I will get down between, my problem is the single and double slips where I fear I may have to try and locate long pin motors underneath - but that involves drilling a 10 mm hole from the bottom through 15 mm of chip board towards an already permanently located turnout ....... fraught with danger ...... and slips ain't cheap.
It makes a great shunting layout, I spent an hour one evening making up 4 trains of single company 45 tonne oil tanks from 25 tanks scattered all around the layout. The game will be place out in mixed form and with every tank individually numbered pick 5 at random and assemble in order for the departure train, That'll keeep the grandchildrens brains working (and mine).

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:07 am

Here is the PL11 point motor problem

I'm going to cut a few mm from the mounting legs that overlap the adjoining line sleepers. I'm also going to cut the mounting loop off on the spare side, but to just alongside the inner hole point as to cut more would remove the bar which acts as the actuating runner.

The wiring will be taken through a hole onto the underside where they will be attached to a Hornby DCC points decoder so I can change points through the Select controller ....... need 4 points decoders .... ouch
There is just about enough clearance to the siding (adjoining track), tried my class33 last evening when polishing off the last of the 'rust' paint residue.

Only about 1 metre of track left to paint on board 2, an awfull job to do, but well worth it.

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:56 pm

Today I purchased the first of 4 Hornby point decoders and attached four Peco PL11 point motors to plank 1 (Station end). Although underboard motors are superior in looks I don't find these too bad.
Notice the trimmed activating lever and trimmed sleepers on the opposite track.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:56 pm

Progress is slow - Pictured is the Mod needed to fit Peco PL11 top mount motors to Single & Double Slips. The enclosed leaflet has no warning and recently on the inside back page of Railway Modeller it clearly says not suitable for Y turnout part ST247, but again no note about slips.
The problem is that the tie bar on slips has part of the plastic sleeper frame underneath, thereby lifting the tie bar. If a PL11 is fitted without a spacer of 1.00 - 1.5 mm under the motor it will jam against this plastic rib. I noticed when checking for correct alignments and resolved the difficulty with a 1.00 mm plasticard spacer superglued to the baseboard onto which the motor was fitted. Also you can't butt against the turnout sleepers so secure location with track pins is an essential. The spacer to use when using the Peco foam ballast is far too thick at some 3.7 mm ......

Just 2 more point decoders and 3 more motors to add and all the track and electrics will be done. Then to my minimal scenic requirements.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:43 am

Less done over Christmas than expected - but the I didn't expect to have the "Mother of all Colds", man flu perhaps, but not propper flu !!

Ballasting has begun as now there are just 3 more turnout motors to be bought - the accessory decoders are all in place and programmed.

I now have a planning problem of where do I put the 'platelayers' hut, the decision needs to be made soon. Do I have it in location 1

Or do I put it in location 2, any suggestions welcomed. Note the cake box cover used to simulate the big black fuel oil tank, which will be greater diameter and taller.

Now there is ballasting & ballasting & ballasting - wish I'd used The Wooldlands Scenic fine rather than the medium grade though, as looking down the line this medium mix hides the sleepers more than I would have liked. Fine would I think be even more trying when sticking down with the usual 50 Water/50 PVA and single drop of washing-up liquid (In the glass beaker I use as the mixing and holding pot !) Still this is my first ever attempt of a layout.

Geoff T

Raider

Postby Raider » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:05 pm

Going back to your slip point motor problem - what we did in Lee's shed for the slips (and the points for that matter) was to mark the 2 extremes of the through of the point tie bar with a small drill, then slide the point or slip to the side and drill through from above in the middle of these 2 marks.

On the slips make sure that you centre the tie bar and get the point motor fitted in the central position or you will get shorts if using the switch to change the frog polarity. Probably more critical in N Gauge then OO, but worth making sure at the start.

The layout is taking shape nicely.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:50 pm

Hi Raider,
The single slip is the only one fully motorised at the moment and works just fine. The double slip and one point to have motors in the next 7 - 10 days when my heavy cold is somewhat better. My only turnout problems are the occasional 'stalls' at very slow speed over the Vee frog, the class 06 0-4-0 shunters being the most affected. I now wish I'd started with electrofrog points and used some polarity switching with assocciated insulating joiners. However it runs surprisingly well - with the exception of 2 new Hornby Dogs, £115 worth of DMU that I simply can't run - won't run (except at a belting speed my layout won't allow).
As this was my first ever attempt the main lessons for possible future application.
1) mark turnout locations and keep to underboard point motors
2) use electrofrog wherever possible
3) use very dry timber so there is no post construction warping
4) DCC was the right decision

5) win some lottery money so you can have a 16 x 10 shed ...... Bigger IS better !! Also costs more.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:59 am

Ballasting - What a B****** of a job, takes me hours, particularly around my many turnouts. However it brings a track 'to life'. The sad thing is I calculate that if I spend the rest of January, almost every evening, I should get the job done, unless I go mad first !
The class 06 - beyond all logic my favourite Loco's (have 2, one Green & this one), looks great on finished track. Oh and DCC fitted, plus a little fettling it runs fine, with just the occasional stall when running at slow speed on my Insulfrog points.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:41 am

What a big mouth !
No not me ..... or at least I hope not.
I have Hornby tunnel entrances to use for my 'scene end' hill - I tried one over the track as I needed a break from ballasting and it's almost wide enough for a road alongside the rails ! No real criticism of Hornby as the gap probably matches the track separation of Hornby set track, however using Peco with just a 'six foot' it looks a bit daft. I will cut at least 1/2 an inch from the centre and join up, and will have to reproduce a key-stone of my own, but that shouldn't be too difficult.
The hill is going to be of 'peg' located lift off construction to make storage and movement of the boards easier.

Geoff T.

lmsrail

Postby lmsrail » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:45 pm

I dont think it would look so bad if you moved it a bit to the left and make an even gap each side
Loving the ballasting!
Kind regards, Jed

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:18 pm

LMS is right, try lining the smoke marks on the tunnel mouth with the rails - move it to the left 5mm and it will be spot on!

Looks great by the way!

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:01 pm

I decided that the tunnel was also too high, so I cut something like 1/2 an inch off the bottom, then cut 14 mm out of the centre. Not photographed the results yet, but I think quite an improvement.
Currently trying to make up the station platforms and sawing two hornby hydraulic buffer stops into many pieces to see if I can get the result I want - only I don't know what I want until I see it ? Confused, well I am!
Had to take a break from that ballasting, particularly within the points and slips as this takes me ages. In fact tonight testing I found one point 'sticky', but been unable to find why as it seems to change OK by hand, but the point motor seems to stick halfway, I'm hoping that repeated changes will clear whatever is causing the problem. Certainly no loose grains of ballast around.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:16 pm

After a few dozen changes the point seems to be OK now.
Before bed I decided to take the modified tunnel entrance - well I think it was worth it because it was easy with no problems, not even added any filler to the cut, it's almost invisible.

Geoff T

lmsrail

Postby lmsrail » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:52 am

Looks so much better, great work with the tunnel!
Kind regards, Jed

Big Al

Postby Big Al » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:40 am

Hi Dad-1

You have good attention to detail and it will show when you have completed your layout. I am also going to use the PL11 point motors but I am using DC.

Well done with the tunnel mouth it looks the part now you have reduced it.

Cheers Alan :D
See my thread on personal layouts "It's a holiday park with no name"
New name for layout now found. Chufferlands Holiday Park.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”