Two Short Planks

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

Re: Two Short Planks

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:47 pm

Very little done over the last few days, the embankment covering needed 2 full days to dry. All I've done since is to start around the small unloading dock between the signalbox and water tower. As to the signalmans Cortina Mk1 ...... I once had a green Mk1 GT reg 2882 KP, but I've never worked on the railways !!

I hope to grade in the road, add two light standards and finish the ballasting in this area over the weekend.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:11 pm

Been playing again today. I thought I'd see if I could link through a video, after the third try I had something I thought I'd use. Well I said Andrews (Grotland) videos were c***, so here's a sorry, can be harder than you may think. It also cost me a damaged 06 shunter that fell 3 feet onto concrete and snapped off a clip that holds the cabin on, which holds the rest of the superstructure on !! Oh well superglue time !!

now let's see if this works

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Brianetta

Postby Brianetta » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:55 pm

I like that. Thanks.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:41 am

Well, apart from playing and taking a video from a small digi camera the layout hasn't too much to show from a weekends work. I did wire in the last two lights by the small goods/unloading platform, one has a duff bulb and only half is lit ..... quite prototypical I'd say !

Then last evening I resurfaced the Sentinel hill road, now at it's designed width. In some sections this just offers passing places ..... how holiday makers clog these narrow lanes in summer !!

There was more plastering done and I have to wait for that to fully dry before I progress further. At least tonight I can add more greenery to Sentinel hill.

I think I'll hide the 1 metre long fiddle yard (still to be made) behind the rest of the hill, by extending it's height to around 30" above the line level, making it tower above the narrow viewing point access road.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:57 pm

That hill needs quite a mixture of scenic ingredients ...... perhaps I should have even more, suggestions welcome.

I'll wait until the whole hill is covered and thoroughly dried out before I try photographing the results.

Geoff T.

Class 66

Postby Class 66 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:23 am

Nice selection of scenic stuff there. May I suggest getting some Scenic Cement as well ? Comes in handy for sticking things

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:56 pm

Hi Class 66,

Could I ask you to 'sell' me the qualities of scenic cement ..... I currently use Bostic clear, mostly used on the Metcalfe range kits. Then I use liquid poly (plastic kit liquid adhesive) and superglue for a few jobs, but the main adhesive is Waterproof PVA, in either thinned, or full thickness. What do you think Scenic Cement can offer me ?? I have some Woodlands Scenic long grass and have yet to try attaching this, but I am concerned that PVA sets too slowly to hold what is like hairs in an upright position while it sets. Superglue is too thin and my Bostic clear will leave a nasty deposit if I try fixing on already attached scatter products.

I am very much in a learning phase as this really is my first ever railway layout and I've never attempted scenery before so further advice will be very welcome.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:54 pm

Sorry, I couldn't wait until the PVA adhesive had dried out ......... I was so chuffed with the (photo) results I just had to update here !

A flock of Preiser sheep grazing on the hillside ..... I still have to finish the fence and can't decide if I should just have posts and pretend the wire's there, or try three strands of fine monofilm fishing line.

Looking down on the road road from high up Sentinel Hill - darned sheep will always get in the way - the road slow marking is from RAF aircraft decals

Geoff T.

Class 66

Postby Class 66 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:14 pm

Dad-1 wrote:Hi Class 66,

Could I ask you to 'sell' me the qualities of scenic cement ..... I currently use Bostic clear, mostly used on the Metcalfe range kits. Then I use liquid poly (plastic kit liquid adhesive) and superglue for a few jobs, but the main adhesive is Waterproof PVA, in either thinned, or full thickness. What do you think Scenic Cement can offer me ?? I have some Woodlands Scenic long grass and have yet to try attaching this, but I am concerned that PVA sets too slowly to hold what is like hairs in an upright position while it sets. Superglue is too thin and my Bostic clear will leave a nasty deposit if I try fixing on already attached scatter products.

I am very much in a learning phase as this really is my first ever railway layout and I've never attempted scenery before so further advice will be very welcome.

Geoff T.

Sorry I probably should of said that Scenic Cement is basically watered down PVA. So you shouldn't need to get it now.

That greenery does look very nice! Excellent job

beerandpies

Postby beerandpies » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:41 pm

*picks jaw up off the floor*

I love that tunnel scene. Utterly brilliant!
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

sheep21

Postby sheep21 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:12 pm

something about that hill and tunnel reminds me of early thomas episodes :oops:

stunning work mate :mrgreen:

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:33 pm

Thanks for the supporting comments Guys,

Sheep21 I do remember a Thomas book from the late 1940's or early 50's where a train with a new coat of paint refused to come out of a tunnel because it was raining .... He was then bricked in to teach him a lesson. Am I remembering the illustrations subliminally (probably spelt that wrong) as I drift back towards a second childhood ?????

Little new to show, been out shopping and had to put everything away as friends are coming to stay this weekend. However it's given me a chance to work on my station platform signs. All done on MS Word, printed onto self adhesive letter labels, cut to fit the plasticard board, then edged with some microstrip. Still have to paint the posts, my wife can't find the small beads I was going to use as post caps so another trip to Hobbycraft before they can be finished. However I'm pleased with the result so far.

Geoff T

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:04 am

I've now attached the platform signs to lamp standards, although I note I missed the station signs that were temporarily attached with bluetak, what a rotten photographer I am !!
A few people make all the difference to a scene - as the early evening train waits at platform 1.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:23 pm

Finishing touches - is it worth the trouble ?
I'm adding embellishments to the tops of my station name sign posts from a box of coloured beads purchased today from Hobbycraft. Add fine plastic rod with slight taper and locate in the hollow tube posts. All stages including the painted finish shown

Getting bored so I think I'll have to buy another Locomotive on-line today ....... class 37, or perhaps a 33 ???

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:09 pm

With the two main boards well on the way to being finished I've returned to my 'Bit on the side'. Today I added the plaster build-up over the polystyrene, the potential 'slack' or pond is clearly visible. Someone, I think Langley Models do packs of seagulls and ducks that will utilise parts of the finished pond.

I wanted to buy a simulated welding module to place in the workshop under the disused watertower ..... but having blown a couple of hundred quid on two locos and some rolling stock this week that will have to wait a while. Now 2/3 days drying before the vegetation starts growing on this bit. So I'll probably be quiet for a while.

Geoff T.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”