Clifton 009 - Llanwyke

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
engineer dave

Re: Clifton 009 Board 2 Llanwyke

Postby engineer dave » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:53 pm

Excellent stuff. This is really coming together. Having the sidings there really puts the slate mine into context.

I really like the wooden goods platform too. I might steal that idea!

Cheers

Dave
My N Gauge Quarry Layout - Trecarreg viewtopic.php?t=14555

Money Talks.....It mostly says "Goodbye!"

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:55 pm

This layout really is quite magnificant! I have never been one for Narrow Gauge, but this layout is really very inspiring - very quaint!
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:55 pm

engineer dave wrote:Excellent stuff. This is really coming together. Having the sidings there really puts the slate mine into context.

I really like the wooden goods platform too. I might steal that idea!

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave. The wooden platforms are easy to do. I use a very quick drying wood glue to stick the matches together.

PeterH wrote:This layout really is quite magnificant! I have never been one for Narrow Gauge, but this layout is really very inspiring - very quaint!

Thanks Peter. I am certainly enjoying making this layout. I've always liked narrow gauge.

Here is a bit more progress......
Here are a few pics of the incline on the right hand side of board 2;

And a few trains negotiating the incline:

I've also been adding a small coal staithe & water crane on the short station siding. Pics to follow later when it's progressed a bit.

RichB

Postby RichB » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:34 pm

Hi Clifton

I was looking at your pictures, and in the ones above, the grass looks really good and like what I am trying to achieve on my layout! It looks like the right colour and blends nicely!

Any chance you can let me know what you have used to do it - is there a base colour under it and what make/colour of flock you used..Also, I am currently trying to get me track ballast laid - what size/colour/make of ballast have you used on your track

Cheers
rich

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:42 pm

RichB wrote:Hi Clifton

I was looking at your pictures, and in the ones above, the grass looks really good and like what I am trying to achieve on my layout! It looks like the right colour and blends nicely!

Any chance you can let me know what you have used to do it - is there a base colour under it and what make/colour of flock you used..Also, I am currently trying to get me track ballast laid - what size/colour/make of ballast have you used on your track

Cheers
rich

Thanks Rich.

I use Humbrol Matt Dark Earth (No 29) as the base colour under the scenic areas.
The grass is Javis - Not sure which one. I think there are 2 shades, it's the lighter one.
The brown scatter is a mix of Javis Dark Earth & a few greys etc.
The ballast is Javis Extra Fine Granite Chippings (Grey).

To create the grass effect by the wall I made some small mounds using Blu Tack, painted it and covered it with the flock.

http://www.javis.co.uk

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:47 pm

Here's the next bit of progress......

This shows the contrast between the first bay platform that is ballasted, sleepers done with sleeper grime & rails rust painted and the next one that is still to do

All the platforms are now edged with stone. The platform surfaces will be done to look like slabs of slate (I hope!)

Small area next to the bay platform with a water crane & coal staithe

More rust painting & ballasting next :roll:

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:35 pm

First update for a while! Things have been progressing......

Finally finished all the ballasting & rust painting of rails on board 2
It just needs some weathering now.

I have also covered some of the hills above the tunnel / mine entrance with slate dust / waste.
I need to smash some more slate chippings up now.

I think I may start paving the platforms next.

Here is some new goods stock awaiting the paint shop:

Goods Vans - these will be painted brick red with black metal work & grey roof. I have a similar van in orange that I may repaint to match these.

Granite Wagons - these will be painted with sleeper grime on the wood work & grey on the metal work (With rusting)

Steel Sided Hudsons - these will be painted grey on the body with black chassis (With rusting)

Wooden 3 Plank Hudsons - these will be painted brown with black metal work (With rusting). These will match 2 others I have.

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:03 pm

Hello Clifton,
Brilliant progress with your Lay-out. Those fore-arms and bi-ceps muscles must be quite-well developed after processing that-much slate :lol: :P :lol:. Looking really good,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:26 pm

:D I've been having trouble with the power on the fiddle yard. Probably because I tried to do it using no wiring!

This is how I initially tried to run power through:
Not surprisingly this has proved to work very inconsistently!

So I have now done some wiring. Which I don't like doing & don't know much about. So I'm sure it looks a bit amateur and that there will have been an easier way to do it!

I have fed the power from one side of the traverser to the other as this will also act as a through line to board 3.

Each line on the traverser now has a wire attached with a conector on the end which plugs into the main line when in position.

Surprisingly it works :D Power either side of the traverser and on the traverser :D

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:33 pm

Some progress on board 2 this week......

More paving done on the platform:

New wall in position between the road & tracks:

The front right hand corner hill now has initial ground cover:

The mine entrance now has ground cover:

More ground cover done on the mine area:

This is the only vertical section of the mine left to cover with rocks & dust:

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:35 pm

Hello Jason,

I don't know how I've missed your thread for so long :shock: you've got some really nice work going on here.
Lots of attention to detail, plus the larger picture all sits together in relaxed and naturalistic manner - the term ' delightful' comes to mind :)

What really catches my eye are pictures like the one below - it's not easy to mix widely different grades of material like this together in a realistic way - but you've done it really well :)

I also like this next picture - I love the platforms, and the ballasting is perfect :)

I must say narrow gauge isn't usually my thing - but I'll subscribe to this thread.
I think once you've got your basics finished and start adding details/trees/more weathering etc your layout will really come into it's own :)

Postby 60007 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:22 pm

I absolutley love you layout, I've never really considered 009 before, but seeing so much stuff that availiable, I'm becoming more tempted by the minute :D I also love the mines aswell, the rocks look extremley effective, especially the dust.

There is one thing I will say though, and this is going to sound like I'm jelous and I envy you (I do in a way) but I think your scenery, although fantastic, is a little too clinical. I can't really see any variations in the grass, no darker patches, and I don't like the way the grass neatly stops at the end of rocks, it doesn't seem natural. I also think your road could do with having darker pathches, mud etc from where lorries have been also.

I think what I'm trying to say is: I want some dirt!

Its only the Tiniest thing I can criticise, because your layout is fantastic

Keep up the good work

~Andy
If I wasn't me, I'd be someone else!

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:24 pm

SouthernBoy wrote:Hello Jason,

I don't know how I've missed your thread for so long :shock: you've got some really nice work going on here.
Lots of attention to detail, plus the larger picture all sits together in relaxed and naturalistic manner - the term ' delightful' comes to mind :)

What really catches my eye are pictures like the one below - it's not easy to mix widely different grades of material like this together in a realistic way - but you've done it really well :)

I also like this next picture - I love the platforms, and the ballasting is perfect :)

I must say narrow gauge isn't usually my thing - but I'll subscribe to this thread.
I think once you've got your basics finished and start adding details/trees/more weathering etc your layout will really come into it's own :)

Thanks for your comments Southernboy.

Slate is great for detailing on the layout. I smash it with a hammer into various sizes, right down to dust.
The platform is taking a while to do. It seemed a good idea at the time putting the slabs on individually!

60007 wrote:I absolutley love you layout, I've never really considered 009 before, but seeing so much stuff that availiable, I'm becoming more tempted by the minute :D I also love the mines aswell, the rocks look extremley effective, especially the dust.

There is one thing I will say though, and this is going to sound like I'm jelous and I envy you (I do in a way) but I think your scenery, although fantastic, is a little too clinical. I can't really see any variations in the grass, no darker patches, and I don't like the way the grass neatly stops at the end of rocks, it doesn't seem natural. I also think your road could do with having darker pathches, mud etc from where lorries have been also.

I think what I'm trying to say is: I want some dirt!

Its only the Tiniest thing I can criticise, because your layout is fantastic

Keep up the good work

~Andy

Thanks for your comments Andy.

You are right it does need to be dirtier and it will be! The grassed areas currently just have the base covering on. I have some static grass to add and need to make bushes & trees. I think you have a point about the grass to rocks bit. It needs a more gradual phase in. I will have a look at this, there are plenty more rocks & dust I can use!

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:33 pm

Clifton009 wrote: ... The platform is taking a while to do. It seemed a good idea at the time putting the slabs on individually! ...

And I bet when you look back at it after it's done you'll be pleased you put the time into something which is going to look so effective :)

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:14 am

SouthernBoy wrote:
Clifton009 wrote: ... The platform is taking a while to do. It seemed a good idea at the time putting the slabs on individually! ...

And I bet when you look back at it after it's done you'll be pleased you put the time into something which is going to look so effective :)

Yes you are right! The time is well spent.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”