Clifton 009 - Llanwyke

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Clifton009

Re: Clifton 009 Board 2 Llanwyke

Postby Clifton009 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:25 pm

Update.....Track painted & First Mine Building Started

I have now painted all the track in the mine area grey:

Construction of the first building for the mine is now well under way:
The large section is 13cmx10cm, the smaller section is 13cmx6cm. The building is designed to fit at the front right of the mine area where the 2 sidings are.

Some of the hedges are now in situ:

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Latest progress is the start of the Llanwyke station platforms:

These are the bases for the platforms at the Llanwyke station. The next stage is to stick paving onto the wood. I'm using Wills York Paving sheets, but cutting out the individual slabs as I want to edge the platform then fill in the middle - this will take a while, but should look good. The intention is then to paint the platforms using greys to make it look like slate. The platforms will all have canopies. I haven't nailed the platform down yet for the station building as I'm not sure on it's size yet! I also need to decide on what type of platform to do for the goods siding.

I have also been creating a foundation for the first of the slate mine buildings. The polystyrene base I made isn't as level as I thought so I have used White Tack to level it where the building walls will sit. It's been painted grey and will be covered by the slate bits etc that I will use for all the ground area. You can see a bit of it in the top left of the photo above.

Tank

Postby Tank » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:07 am

This is a really good layout and is coming on really well. You certainly have the most rolling stock that I've seen on a 009 layout! Your detailing is superb.
N Gauge Ministry of Defence Depot:- Click Here
Old layout - New SouthEaston (now sold!) - Click Here
http://www.NGaugeForum.co.uk

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:24 pm

Tank wrote:This is a really good layout and is coming on really well. You certainly have the most rolling stock that I've seen on a 009 layout! Your detailing is superb.

Thanks Tank. I enjoy doing the detailing.

I do have a fair bit of rolling stock. Mainly because when ever I go to my local model shop or mail order something for the layout I always end up buying some more rolling stock as well :roll: Expensive habbit! The only problem now is I'm running out of sidings for it all :lol: The plan is to have a few sidings (Not really a fiddle yard) on the section between board 2 and board 3.

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:05 pm

The Hills in the right hand corner have now had a coat of earth brown:

And I have started the hill on the front right hand corner of board 2:

I have now begun the long process of covering the ground and ballasting the mine area with slate chippings. These are chippings I smashed with a hammer in to varying sizes from dust upwards! They are stuck down using PVA / water mix as per ballasting. I started from the end that joins the main line:
There is a small pond visible at the back of the building. It looks better than in the photo! This is my first experiment with the Woodland Scenics granules for making water scenes. They are so easy to use (Not cheap though). You just heat them in a foil dish, make a spout on it and pour where required. The water hardens in a couple of minutes. Slight adjustments / imperfections can be sorted by heating it up again with a flame.

Here is a general view towards the main line:

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:21 pm

Love the slate but it must add a fair bit of weight :shock: :D

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:02 pm

smallman28 wrote:Love the slate but it must add a fair bit of weight :shock: :D

Thanks smallman.
It's fairly heavy especially in the back left hand corner of the board where the cutting is!, but I managed to keep the weight down a bit by only putting a thin covering of slate over a polystyrene base.

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sun May 03, 2009 3:30 pm

Update......More Ballasting Done & New Loco in Service

I have continued "ballasting" the track in the slate mine with fine slate chippings. The latest points to be done actually worked again without too much fiddling about :D . I need to construct the other buildings now before I can continue covering the ground area with dust / chippings.

I have now finished the Hunslet loco kit :D :D :

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Wed May 06, 2009 9:30 pm

Here is the latest progress on the slate mine area ground cover:

All the ground cover is glued down with PVA and the loose bits hoovered up.

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sun May 10, 2009 9:10 pm

Fiddle Yard Added

I've built a fiddle yard this weekend as a bolt on to board 2 as I have more rolling stock than sidings!

Space was limited so here is what I managed in an area 35cmx68cm:
I used screws to pass the power from the main line through the traverser. The main line rails are soldered to the screws:
As there is no board 3 as yet I have made this small add on to enable the loco to pull clear of the train in the yard:

The line will join to board 3 in the future.

All tested and surprisingly it works!

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Mon May 25, 2009 6:07 pm

Update......Slate Mine Building 2 Nearly Complete

Second slate mine building scratch built & detailed
Just the doors to make & painting to do. Not decided on what type of doors yet for any of the buildings

I have also added gutters, downpipes, fascias & ridgings to the first slate mine building
Again doors & painting to do.

The buildings are made using Wills sheet Dressed Stone and will be painted shades of grey to look like slate. The dressed stone seemed to look most suitable to replicate some old slate mine buildings I have pictures of.

Here is an overview of the slate mine showing the 2 buildings in place

There will be a third building at the bottom left hand side.

bigbob

Postby bigbob » Mon May 25, 2009 6:30 pm

Nice work with the slate, i`m doing the same sort of thing in my quarry using a similar technique (tw@t it with a hammer!!!) :lol: :lol:

Bob
Growing old is compulsary, growing up is optional!

ALL CLASS 50`S SHOULD BE CUT UP INTO SMALL PIECES AND USED FOR SOMETHING MORE USEFUL LIKE A PAPER-WEIGHT

engineer dave

Postby engineer dave » Mon May 25, 2009 8:02 pm

This layout is looking great. I really love all the crushed slate, it really does look like the real thing.

...and all those locos and wagons...simply stunning. very inspirational.
My N Gauge Quarry Layout - Trecarreg viewtopic.php?t=14555

Money Talks.....It mostly says "Goodbye!"

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Tue May 26, 2009 11:38 pm

bigbob wrote:Nice work with the slate, i`m doing the same sort of thing in my quarry using a similar technique (tw@t it with a hammer!!!) :lol: :lol:

Bob

Thanks bigbob. Smashing the slate is a good way to release the tensions of a week at work! It surprising how much is needed, I still need loads more :D

engineer dave wrote:This layout is looking great. I really love all the crushed slate, it really does look like the real thing.

...and all those locos and wagons...simply stunning. very inspirational.

Thanks engineer dave. I enjoy building the loco and rolling stock kits. None in progress at the moment though :( I tend to start building them as soon as I get them home! I need to press on with board 2 so I can utilise the sidings and free up space in the fiddle yard for more :D

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:19 pm

First Update For A While......

I have done a fair bit of work on the coal siding on board 2 as a bit of a change from the slate mine.

Overview of the coal siding. The nearest siding will be for general goods. The goods platform is made from matches and painted with Railmatch sleeper grime. The coal is Carrs grey ballast (But looks black to me!), it's stuck down as per ballasting.
Classix truck
Loaded coal wagons. The office is a Ratio yard office.
The coal staithes are made from matches
The backs of the staithes are lower than the sides to enable unloading of the wagons

Still a few more details to add yet!

I have now made the board 2 crossing base using Wills wood effect sheets

Here is the current overview of board 2. The slate mine buildings now have a grey undercoat in preparation for other shades of grey and weathering to create a slate effect.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”