Clifton 009 - Llanwyke

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Clifton009

Re: Clifton 009 - Llanwyke

Postby Clifton009 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:07 pm

413x wrote:hi clifton009 what trees are you going to be using on the layout

Hi.

I will be making them. I think the ready made ones are expensive, especially the more realistic ones. Also I can make them to the required size to fit into certain spaces.

Here are some I made for the other boards:

They are made from twigs with lichen glued on. When the glue has dried I paste the lichen with PVA glue then sprinkle it with scatter.

I just need it to stop raining so I can go and get some clippings from the trees in the woods down the road!

sir hayden

Postby sir hayden » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:28 am

Good to see you're still doing narrow gauge Cliffton. Is it okay if I add you to my buddy list, I hope to see you at next year's Expo NG because I want to show you my work with my layout which will be a mix of Ffestiniog, Corris, Talyllyn, and Welsh Highland :D.

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:57 pm

sir hayden wrote:Good to see you're still doing narrow gauge Cliffton. Is it okay if I add you to my buddy list, I hope to see you at next year's Expo NG because I want to show you my work with my layout which will be a mix of Ffestiniog, Corris, Talyllyn, and Welsh Highland :D.

Hi Sir Haydn,

Yes no problem.

I don't think I will ever get to Expo NG though as it's about a 4 hour drive for me.

I tend to go to Narrow Gauge North in Leeds every year.

Good look with the layout, sounds like a good mix of stuff! The Ffestiniog is my favourite :D

sir hayden

Postby sir hayden » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:42 pm

I might go to NG North, when is next years and it's too bad your layout isn't able to have a double ended fairlie on it.

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:12 pm

sir hayden wrote:I might go to NG North, when is next years and it's too bad your layout isn't able to have a double ended fairlie on it.

Hi sir haydn,

NGN 2012 is Saturday 10th March. Just one day next year for some reason?

The corners are a bit too tight for long locos. A Double Fairlie would also be a bit big for the train lengths I run!

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:15 pm

I’ve decided to make more effort with the loco kits I build! Although the construction of the Russell kit was fine, I wasn’t happy with the paint job & detailing. Initially I was just going to add name & works plates, but after seeing some other models I decided to add a few more detail bits that you don’t get in the kit and also make some adjustments to the paintwork.

Before:

After:

The main body colour is still the same, it just looks slightly different due to the light in the photos.

I just need to give the bodywork a quick wipe over to get rid of all the finger prints, then give it a coat of varnish.

sir hayden

Postby sir hayden » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:11 pm

Nice work on Russell and can't wait to meet you in person next year at NG North Cliff :D will you let me look at your layout and will you look at my layout?

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:14 pm

sir hayden wrote:Nice work on Russell and can't wait to meet you in person next year at NG North Cliff :D will you let me look at your layout and will you look at my layout?

Thanks sir haydn.

I won't be showing the layout as it's not built for transportation! (Also it won't fit in my car!). If I did transport it about I would end up breaking things knowing my luck!

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:21 pm

I do like your Russell! :D I might have to get myself one of these one day (once i actually get my layout up and running! and complete my Snailbeach Railway Dennis)
Great Work!
Kenny
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

35011 GSN

Postby 35011 GSN » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:38 pm

wow you've done a great job there :D

sir hayden

Postby sir hayden » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:48 pm

Nice work on Russell I bringing the first part of my layout to NG North so you can see it. Hope to see more stuff soon.

Andy_Elms

Postby Andy_Elms » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:31 pm

sir hayden wrote:Nice work on Russell I bringing the first part of my layout to NG North so you can see it.

Your NG layout has had an invite? Good skills. Hope it's not too hard getting it on the plane.
Andy Elms
Bristol, UK

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:01 pm

Not much progress over the last few weeks.

I’ve given the main line a good clean and dusted Boards 1 & 2. The only addition to Board 4 has been a few trees.

The trees are the same construction method as previous ones. The trunks are real twigs with lichen glued on, then pasted with PVA and covered in scatter. The scatter used on these is Javis Rough Pasture.

Spent a bit of time making a list of details still to add to all the boards. Plenty to still do!

The plans are nearly finished for Board 5, the final terminus. I’m currently doing some sorting out in the spare room as Boards 4 & 5 need to be stored under Board 1. I’m going to make some trestles to stand them on when in use.

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:49 pm

Well I'm back on with this now after a Winter interlude for no specific reason! I guess I just got out of the habbit. Went to Narrow Gauge North in Leeds a few weeks ago to get some inspiration.

I've made a Board 3/4 joining section:
It's secured in position with bolts & wing nuts.

And trestles for Board 4:

Also made a partition that slides down at the end of the fiddle yard to hide it:
Buffers have also been added to the sidings on the fiddle yard.

Spent most of yesterday and today wiring boards 3, 4 & the joining section. Still a bit to do. Bought a Gaugemaster W controller which I will run off my Model D controller, hence the wiring! The W will plug into the front of the Board 3/4 joiner and power Board 3, the joiner and Board 4. Managed to burn my fingers on the soldering iron as usual! Also managed to spill super glue on my jeans, then ripped a hole in another pair with the drill - expensive building layouts 8-|

Also layed the track on the joining section last night.

More photos to follow.

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:20 pm

The wiring is completed and it works :d

I have used the Board 3/4 joiner as the main hub for the wiring. This did mean running a lot of wire as it's some way from the main Model D controller.
The wires between boards are joined with male/female clips.

All the locos have had a clean & a good run out on the newly wired section and are now at Hove Edge depot:

I bought 2 buses for Board 5, but as it's not started yet I have used them on Board 1 rather than leave them in their boxes:

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”