Clifton 009 - Llanwyke

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Clifton009

Re: Clifton 009 - Llanwyke

Postby Clifton009 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:59 pm

Thanks for all the comments.

I will try to post more often again. I got out of the habbit! All these Bank Holidays should allow some more progress :D

The control panel in the building front left is for the power on the sidings off the turntable. There are 12 switches, 10 in use and 2 spare. The 3 longer sidings to the left of the turntable are all split in 2 with additional switches, the 4 sidings to the right are all on single switches. This is the most wiring I have ever done!! Can't remember where I pinched the idea of incorporating the switches into a building?

TJGoode

Postby TJGoode » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:34 pm

Man, have I been waiting for an update on Llanwyke for a flipping long time! :D

Worth the wait! Love the loco depot!
Looking forward to seeing some more of your awesome attention to detail.

What do you mean by "Board 5 will be the final one"?
I don't like the sound of that...

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:22 pm

Oooh it's good to see an update on this one after a while, and I must say you have done a lot! This is always a good one to watch for the amount of detail that you go in to.

I shall be looking forward to further developments!

Cheers,

Stuart
ImageImage

egroeg93

Postby egroeg93 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:21 am

Ahaahhh!!, my favourite layout on the forum is back :D, some wicked work you done on this Jason, very nice to hear from you again :)

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:33 pm

TJGoode wrote:What do you mean by "Board 5 will be the final one"?
I don't like the sound of that...

Hi Tim,

Unfortunately the space in the spare room is limited! Still loads of details to add to all the boards, so no danger of me running out of things to do! I also enjoy building rolling stock and with the new shed being built I may have to build some more locos :D

Here's this weekend's progress:

I decided to finish most of the ballasting off today – just the final few mm to do in front of the buildings, will do this when the buildings are finished:

I’ve spent a few hours sticking bushes down on the B3 scenic section – still more to add!:
Image Image

The coal staithes and coaling platform are well under way. These will go along the side of the main shed next to the ash pit – pictures to follow.

I also have some more rolling stock under construction. Details to follow…………..

egroeg93

Postby egroeg93 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:04 am

Your work is as impressive as ever mate, nice to see these updates :D

TJGoode

Postby TJGoode » Tue May 03, 2011 12:31 am

More locos?

I like the sound of that! :D

How about Langley Model's Double Fairlie?
I'd love to see a Double Fairlie on Llanclifton and Llanwyke!

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Tue May 03, 2011 8:33 pm

TJGoode wrote:More locos?

I like the sound of that! :D

How about Langley Model's Double Fairlie?
I'd love to see a Double Fairlie on Llanclifton and Llanwyke!

Hi Tim.

I like the Fairlies, but the corners on Llanclifton are tight - they are about 9". I've had to make modifications to a few of the locos - especially the fronts under the buffer beams due to the swing over the couplings. I also had to file the cab roof and tender roof a little bit on Blanche and make the gap between loco & tender slightly bigger, they still nearly touch on the corners! Also the maximum number of carriages that fit in the stations etc 3 x bogie carriages, so the Fairlie will probably look too big - never say never though!

I also like Garratts, but even K1 will probably be too big, also they do tend to dwarf some of the stock a bit!

If I was going to do the layout again (Which i'm not!!) I would probably go for 12" corners or move house and have a bigger spare room 8)

TJGoode

Postby TJGoode » Fri May 06, 2011 12:05 am

That's a shame... :(

I love Fairlies and Garrats!

Got to get the hang of Kit building a lot more and get better equipment before I attempt building a Backwoods miniature kit. But the Langley Fairlie is fairly straightforward (excuse the pun).
I think Golden Arrow might make a white metal K1, but not sure. I'd have to check Parkside Dundas...

But I definately want an NG/G16 (well probably several) one day, but Backwoods kits are complicated... :?

Anyway, don't tell me you're not going to be making another layout!!!
Yours are amazing! (I really don't think I'm just speaking for myself)

I check your layout daily (along with Dilbert and Pearls Before Swine)!

I guess you'll have to move to a bigger house...

Dragonfly

Postby Dragonfly » Fri May 06, 2011 7:11 am

Clifton009 wrote:I also like Garratts, but even K1 will probably be too big, also they do tend to dwarf some of the stock a bit!

I guess that means no Funkeys either. :(

This layout is looking amazing! Very clean, very colourful... Surely if it's North Wales it should be grey, brown, and wet? :P

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sat May 14, 2011 9:42 pm

TJGoode wrote: but Backwoods kits are complicated... :?

I think so! Good luck if you decide to make a Backwoods kit. They look great, but are sadly beyond my skills. I can manage white metal kits ok, but not brass.

TJGoode wrote:Anyway, don't tell me you're not going to be making another layout!!!
I guess you'll have to move to a bigger house...

Even if we had the space or moved I doubt planning permission would be granted for another layout. There is already some dispute about the extensions to the current layout :roll: I still have plenty to do on this one yet! I think you can always find details to add etc.

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sat May 14, 2011 9:46 pm

Dragonfly wrote:
Clifton009 wrote:I also like Garratts, but even K1 will probably be too big, also they do tend to dwarf some of the stock a bit!

I guess that means no Funkeys either. :(

This layout is looking amazing! Very clean, very colourful... Surely if it's North Wales it should be grey, brown, and wet? :P

Probably not :(

Thanks for your comments. I agree the colours should all be grey and wet. All I remember from childhood visits to North Wales is it raining!

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Tue May 17, 2011 8:34 pm

The main loco shed now has doors. They are made from matches, with wire/ Plastruct for the hinges, which enable them to be opened and closed. The ventilation chimneys on the roof are scratch built again using Plastruct. The small loco shed has part of the hinges added to the frames ready for doors to be hung.

The main construction of the coal staithes & coaling platform is complete. I have added a small coal conveyor rather than the more common crane & bucket. The conveyor is made from odds n ends out of my spares tubs! I used a large rubber band for the belt and stuck small lengths of wire across it before painting.

The offices are painted and have had some small chimneys added.

Plenty of weathering to do on all the above!

Next job is to cover the remaining areas of the board with scatter so I can then start sticking things down and adding fences etc.

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Tue May 17, 2011 9:13 pm

I think you must be Matchstick King. You've found plenty of uses for them on your layout, and always very effectively too :)

I like the hinged doors on the engine shed and neat work on the conveyor too.

There's a recognisable style to your work, the essence of which I've not managed to put my finger on, but one day I will :)

Stewart Gethin

Postby Stewart Gethin » Wed May 18, 2011 7:08 am

Fabulous.

As Southernboy said, there is a definate style to your work, and it's not made from all sorts of different materials making the buildings look mixed and matched. I like it, alot. :D

Doors on the Loco shed look great, with all the cross bracing and all.
May I ask, what sort of glue did you use to glue the matchsticks onto the wire?

Keep up the good work.

Stew.
Please take a look at both my layouts:
My layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28240
My 5" Gauge layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29058

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”