Clifton 009 - Llanwyke

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Matt Peters

Re: Clifton 009 Board 2 Llanwyke

Postby Matt Peters » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:35 am

The rock work looks fantastic, now just some detailing on it! :D

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:38 am

Thanks Matt. I was just preparing a further update!

Update......

I have now sprayed the main mine area with a second coat and started to carve the rock / hills for the back edge out of polystyrene:

The second tunnel portal is nearly complete, it still needs joining to the main section:

I have also started to paint areas of the baseboard earth brown in preparation for scenery:

Here are some Roco RTR wagons that I have painted / weathered for use at the slate mine:

trains!

Postby trains! » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:00 pm

What coupings are they?
Jake
Modelling Jakey's Junction!....
See here for my plan:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19546

Part of NRM'S officail freight masters
dudes club :cool:

Blaqkaudio009

Postby Blaqkaudio009 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:16 pm

pretty sure there the stock which comes on the roco wagons. the hook is part of the wagon chassis and the loop clips on.

boyofbears

Postby boyofbears » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:29 am

this is looking good!
my imaginery friend thinks u have problems.......wait........
my layout viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17368 new!!!

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:26 pm

Update......I have fastened down most of the track on the slate mine today

Also cleaned & tested it all. Next job is to weather it :roll:

I have removed most of the polystyrene hill section today from the back and pasted newspaper over it. Next job will be to spray it grey in some areas and earth brown in others in readyness for scenery.

Rough layout of slate mine:
Left hand siding next to mine entrance will be for waste slate processing and will enter a building.
Front one of the 2 sidings at the right hand side will enter a building for slate cutting. The other siding is just for general use / finished slate awaiting transportation. There is just enough room on the head shunt for a small loco & 4 small wagons, alternatively plenty room on the loop for locos to run round longer trains.

I have cut down a Farish Pannier Tank chassis & converted it from 0-6-0 to 0-4-0. I will scratch build a diesel body onto this, which will be for used at the slate mine.

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:17 pm

Update......Rocky Area Now Painted

The rocky areas are all now covered & painted. Just some of the hilly section along the back still to do.

I have started detailing in the back left corner using slate chippings. Pictures to follow. This is like doing a jigsaw puzzle without a picture to help :roll:

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:37 pm

Update......First Area Detailed With Slate Chippings

Here is the first section detailed with slate chippings, Im very pleased with the results :D :

As you can see the cutting is quite tight! Harlech Castle is my widest & highest loco so I used it to ensure it had a couple of mm clearance at the sides. The tunnel is the same height as the others on the layout, made just a couple of mm higher than Harlech Castle.

As I mentioned previously the slate chippings are from a local builders merchants. The small rocks on the top are chippings smashed up with a hammer - stuck down with PVA as per ballasting method. I used the fine dust from smashed up chippings to cover the other areas as I thought it would be more realistic than grey scatter and no point in wasting anything! The scatter between the ballast and the slate is a mix of about 3 different colours. Still got bushes & trees etc to add. I still need to line the tunnel walls with slate chippings - I need to sort some more "good bits" from the 25kg sack of chippings :x

trains!

Postby trains! » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:50 pm

Amazing, what balasts/ scatters did you use? Is harlech castle quite a big loco for 009 then? As i have just received my first 009 loco kit (harlech castle) .
Jake
Modelling Jakey's Junction!....
See here for my plan:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19546

Part of NRM'S officail freight masters
dudes club :cool:

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:33 pm

Update......Cutting Completed

both sides of the cutting now completed:

Here is a selection of locos heading through the cutting:

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:48 pm

Oooh I rather like the 4th and 5th ones with Prince and that red one... They look really good! :D

Excellent work! 8)
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.

Din

Postby Din » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:16 pm

That cutting looks brilliant!

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:27 pm

Thanks for the comments.

I enjoyed making the cutting and as it's turned out well I'm looking forward to doing the rest of the slate mine area. I just need to be carefull that I don't make Board 2 too heavy putting all this slate on it :lol:

trains! wrote:Amazing, what balasts/ scatters did you use? Is harlech castle quite a big loco for 009 then? As i have just received my first 009 loco kit (harlech castle) .

Jake,

The ballast is Javis extra fine. The scatters are also Javis, I used a mixture of browns & greys etc.

Harlech Castle is quite a big loco, but probably of similar size to some of the other 009 kits - The Dennis & Sharpie steam locos I have are of a similar size (I actually cut down the Dennis kit, so originally it was wider & higher than Harlech Castle - I cut it down as it was too big for my tunnels :roll: ). It looks big next to loco's like Prince, but is still to scale.

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:47 am

The cutting does look great Jason. I always like to see your work because your methods are unique and always end up looking very realistic.

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:25 pm

GROTLAND wrote:The cutting does look great Jason. I always like to see your work because your methods are unique and always end up looking very realistic.

Thanks Grotland.

I guess I don't really think much about the methods I use! I just get to the finished article somehow :lol:

Heres the next update.....

Scenery in the back right hand corner started.

Occupation bridge. The stone work is now under re paint. I am also grassing the hilly areas behind.

Rather than a tunnel portal as per previous joins from one board to another I decided to put a bridge in front of the B2 to B3 join. This bridge is made from the Wills Vari Girder Kit with a plastic sheet for the base. I am currently constructing the stone work for this bridge.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”