Clifton 009 - Llanwyke

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
SouthernBoy

Re: Clifton 009 - Llanwyke

Postby SouthernBoy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:18 pm

Well you certainly know how to combine those observations of other layouts with your scratch building skills to good effect :)

For me definitely one of the top layouts on NRM :)

GunnerBill

Postby GunnerBill » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:46 pm

Streuth this is an amazing layout! The detail is superb :P

The only thing I would suggest is bedding in the buildings footing so you don't see a gap:

I guess you could use some powdered/crushed slate to mix up a realistic finished filler with which to found the building.

I love your use of real materials - i.e. the slate. It's such a fine grained rock that it does not look wrong at any scale.

Having been around a few mines and other industrial areas like that I would say that yours needs some more rusty and broken stuff just lying around. Some old/broken/disused machinery, broken trucks & components etc.

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:14 pm

GunnerBill wrote:Streuth this is an amazing layout! The detail is superb :P

The only thing I would suggest is bedding in the buildings footing so you don't see a gap:

I guess you could use some powdered/crushed slate to mix up a realistic finished filler with which to found the building.

I love your use of real materials - i.e. the slate. It's such a fine grained rock that it does not look wrong at any scale.

Having been around a few mines and other industrial areas like that I would say that yours needs some more rusty and broken stuff just lying around. Some old/broken/disused machinery, broken trucks & components etc.

Thanks GunnerBill.

I have recently bedded in the buildings, the pictures are near the bottom of page 9.

Good idea re the old machinery etc - I'm sure I have a few bits that a can rust paint! Adding this sort of things will be next on the agenda. I'm currently building 2 new locos so not much time spent on the layout recently other than a good clean and hoover up on board 1 this morning. It's surprising how dusty my layout gets despite it having a sheet over it :?

GunnerBill

Postby GunnerBill » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:26 pm

So you did! How did I miss that? They look good 8)

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:54 am

It's interesting you say you've got a lot of inspiration from other layouts Jason, but I bet in a room of 100 modellers that the followers of your thread would pick your work out immediately.
Maybe it's more down to your observational skills and unique use of materials. Something else, I'm not sure...a mix of practical industry with a sense of wholesomeness that somehow people can relate to. I dunno but I love it.

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:31 pm

GROTLAND wrote:It's interesting you say you've got a lot of inspiration from other layouts Jason, but I bet in a room of 100 modellers that the followers of your thread would pick your work out immediately.
Maybe it's more down to your observational skills and unique use of materials. Something else, I'm not sure...a mix of practical industry with a sense of wholesomeness that somehow people can relate to. I dunno but I love it.

Thanks Grotland. I'm glad that people enjoy looking through my thread. I try to update reasonably regular as I see it as giving something back. I wouldn't have got the layout to the stage it is now without inspiration from others who take the time to post on their layout threads and people posting feedback, comments & ideas.

Perhaps my layout stands out more as not many people regularly post narrow gauge on NRM. Narrow gauge layouts in general tend to have a lot of scratch built items on them and the rolling stock is mainly from kits so not run of the mill either. You don't often see the same stock in the same livery!

I keep lists of ideas on an excel spreadsheet. I have 1 list for each board (Including boards I haven't started yet!). I put ideas on the lists as and when I either see something or think of something. Not all the ideas are used and some end up in a different place to where I initially intended! I also list items I need to buy at some stage.

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:38 pm

Not much progress on the layout over the last few weeks as most of my spare time has been taken up with the building of 2 new locos. The construction was fairly straight forward, it's the painting that's taken the time :roll:

The locos are nearly finished now :D . They just need name plates and works plates.

Blanche:

Linda:

egroeg93

Postby egroeg93 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:19 pm

Nice work on those two :)

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:52 pm

Blanche and Linda certainly have a charm about them :)

Were they metal kits / plastic kits? Straightforward to put together?

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:14 pm

egroeg93 wrote:Nice work on those two :)

Thanks.

SouthernBoy wrote:Blanche and Linda certainly have a charm about them :)

Were they metal kits / plastic kits? Straightforward to put together?

Thanks SouthernBoy.

They are white metal kits. The chassis's are RTR, but are hand built.

The kits are easy to put together. The only fiddly bits are the hand rails. Most of the time has been spent on the painting.

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:19 pm

Name & Works plates have now been added to some locos:

egroeg93

Postby egroeg93 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:56 pm

where did you get the point switches from??

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:12 pm

egroeg93 wrote:where did you get the point switches from??

Hi George,

They are Peco SL-428.

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Mon May 03, 2010 5:35 pm

The main construction of Board 3 is complete.

Board 3 carries the line from the board 2 fiddle yard to the soon to be constructed Board 4 harbour terminus. This section was necessary to take the line from one side of the room to the other. Board 4 will be at the opposite side of the bed to boards 2 & 3. This section can easily be disconnected & stored under the other 2 boards. It’s 200cm long & 15cm wide apart from where the curve is at the far end.

I have raised the rails to allow for some scenery along each side. I will probably add some sort of viaduct to part of it. The next job will be to glue some polystyrene on to form hills etc.

I re laid the main line around the fiddle yard and decided to run a separate line off to join to the fiddle yard. The previous design wasn’t working well. Lining up the rails on the main line was proving troublesome. Wiring is not my strong point, so at present the cassettes in the fiddle yard are not powered. I’m not sure if I need them to be as I don’t intend leaving locos on the trains. The locos can be stopped on the powered section and coupled to the train.

This was the previous fiddle yard design:

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Mon May 03, 2010 8:04 pm

I like the fiddle yard, simple but effective.
A run of embankment / viaduct will be good: it is to model trains what the cat walk is for fashion models :)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”