Clifton 009 - Llanwyke

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
BarrySmithson

Re: Clifton 009 - Llanwyke

Postby BarrySmithson » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:14 am

YAWN! :roll:
Last edited by BarrySmithson on Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:50 pm

Thanks for the comments.

PeterH:
I will be adding plenty of people, some benches, luggage, goods, trollies etc to the platform at some stage - so it will be quite a busy scene :D I need to leave it for now though as I can't glue the canopy down yet. I need to be able to move the canopy whilst I finish bits further back on the board, otherwise I will lean on it and break it :roll:

George / Southerboy:
There will be a footpath leading from the bridge across the grass. I also need to fence that corner along the line side. I have 4 highland cows which I have nearly finished painting, I may let them loose on the grass in this corner as a hazard for anyone using the path :D

This week I've made & painted wooden door frames on the slate mine buildings, doors will be next! And started to make a pavement along the road side next to the long wall. The pavement has a stone slab edge and wil have a scatter / slate chipping surface. I have stuck down & painted the stone edging.

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:40 pm

I have made some progress with the scenery in the front right hand corner of board 2. The highland cows now have a home! I just need to make some trees to finish this area off.

There is now a small lay-by in front of the occupation bridge.

The goods canopy is now glued in position. I have also arranged some goods on the platform. It just needs some people now.

I had some traffic lights spare from a Preiser sign pack, so decided to put them outside the mine entrance.

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:39 pm

Here's a bit more progress on board 2:

Bus stop sign & timetable at the railway station terminus:
I'm currently making a shelter for the bus stop.

Bollards marking out a slight bend in the road close to rocks / slate:
These are made from the ends of sprues, with insulating tape for the black stripes. The small red spots are painted on.

The fencing along the front of board 2 is now complete:

I have now painted the slate mine buildings in 3 shades of grey to resmble slate:
I'm just in the process of making some doors for the buildings, then I will weather them.

egroeg93

Postby egroeg93 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:14 pm

Luuuuurrrvely work,

Still my favourite layout on the forum :)

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:36 am

Jason,

Every update makes me want to try narrow gauge - although yet another gauge will end in my early death. Such superb detail, such as the bollards, makes this look more and more real.

Looking forward to seeing the new buildings being planted and the weathering to progress - one of the best IMO.

sishades

Postby sishades » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:38 am

Although 009 does not really do it for me, I can still recognise great modelling technique and skills, both of which this layout has in abundance. With regards to the grey wall did you paint each the bricks individually?
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:48 pm

Thanks for the comments.

bsa77 wrote:Jason,

Every update makes me want to try narrow gauge - although yet another gauge will end in my early death. Such superb detail, such as the bollards, makes this look more and more real.

Looking forward to seeing the new buildings being planted and the weathering to progress - one of the best IMO.

:lol: :lol:

Thanks bsa77.

If you have a 00 layout you could add a 009 line to it!! No need to build a separate layout :wink:

sishades wrote:Although 009 does not really do it for me, I can still recognise great modelling technique and skills, both of which this layout has in abundance. With regards to the grey wall did you paint each the bricks individually?

Thanks sishades.

I painted the whole building in one shade of grey, then using 2 other shades I randomly painted individual stones. It took a few hours :roll: , but time well spent! They have turned out better than I thought. A bit of weathering & some doors and I will be able to stick them down.

The doors for the buildings are now under way and I'm scratch building some flower tubs for the station platforms, pictures to follow...

bbc100p

Postby bbc100p » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:56 pm

Any update on Board 3 and that fiddle yard?
It back! And sorry about the rant but I do not know why they banned MOHAAPlayer!

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:20 pm

Clifton009 wrote:If you have a 00 layout you could add a 009 line to it!! No need to build a separate layout :wink:

Yes I have thought of doing this too since they are essentially the same scale. I used to live in Aberystwyth for four years and we had the Vale of Rheidol narrow gauge terminus station right alongside the mainline station. You could try and model something a bit like this.

Looks like I may have to build another baseboard if I want to do this. Another project another day perhaps!

Very good layout; I’ve been enjoying watching this one.

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:24 pm

The doors are now completed on the slate mine buildings:
They are made from matches. The hinges & cross beams are plastruct.

The bus shelter is now painted and in position:
It's made from off cuts of plastruct and Wills plastic sheet.

I've painted the buffers at Llanwyke station & goods sidings:

Not sure what I'm going to do next!

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:58 am

bbc100p wrote:Any update on Board 3 and that fiddle yard?

Sorry missed this one.

Not done anything else with the fiddle yard. It all works though :D I'm planning to paint some sections of it in preparation for joining board 3 to it.

Board's 3 & 4 will be smaller than the current ones as due to space constraints in the spare room they will need to be stored under boards 1 & 2 when not in use.

Board 3 will be a long narrow section to take the line from one side if the bed to the other, as I realised it wouldn't be practical to link another board to the existing ones as it would be over the bed, which would limit access (To the layout, not the bed!). I will be adding scenery to this and possible incorporating some sort of bridge as a feature and probably a very small country station (No building just a platform). I'm still tinkering with the dimensions on this!

Board 4 will incorporate a small harbour. Still to decide on the exact details on this as I keep changing my mind about the board dimensions :roll: I have a rough plan in mind.

I will post a room plan when I get chance as it will probably explain the points above a bit better!

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:52 pm

The slate mine buildings are now all glued in position:
The bottom edges have been dressed out with bushes and slate chippings / dust to provide a seemless join to the ground. The buildings have also been weathered with Carrs powders.

Lamps have now been added to the coal / goods yard:

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:37 pm

Nice update Jason.

What I like with your work is everything sits together in very natural fashion: like all the colours and textures and scales of things like the slate around the place (correct me if I'm wrong!!??) come together quite holistically.

Any hints and tips as to how you go go about achieving that?

Thanks

Mark

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:47 pm

SouthernBoy wrote:Nice update Jason.

What I like with your work is everything sits together in very natural fashion: like all the colours and textures and scales of things like the slate around the place (correct me if I'm wrong!!??) come together quite holistically.

Any hints and tips as to how you go go about achieving that?

Thanks

Mark

Thanks Mark.

Hard to explain!

I get a lot of inspiration from other people’s layouts, on forums, Railway Modeller & at exhibitions – there are some fantastic layouts out there. I pick up allsorts of ideas, some work & some don’t, it’s a case of trial & error :roll: I try to keep things simple and build areas up in stages. As most things on my layout are scratch built it means I can make them to fit in the space I have, which helps a lot and improves the visual appearance (I think). I laid all the track first to a rough plan, then fitted everything else around it. I still keep adding bits as an idea comes to mind, especially with scenery – grass, bushes, trees etc. I still have a fair bit to add to board 2 :D

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”