1st layout, a long road ahead

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Sprintex

Re: 1st layout, a long road ahead

Postby Sprintex » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:34 am

lmsrail wrote:You got some expensive hst . . .

Nope, can't see an HST in those pics, couple of Eurostars and a Pendolino thingy but no HST?

Good start mate, plenty of space to play with (lucky b*st*rd!!), keep up the track-laying - boring I know but think how pleased you'll be when it all finally joins up? :wink:

Paul

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:41 am

You have a nice sized layout there. Don't think it will look out of place having a full rake EuroStar running around up there.

DB

Postby DB » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:43 am

Well theorectically a Eurostar is a HST ;) Moreso than a IC 125 unit...

Those ES need converting to DCC yet, I got them cheap off ebay. Im glad I did though as i can measure how much room i need, how long the curves are etc.

Think the station will be able to take at least an 8 car ES, but i'd like to run modern hst's with at least 4 carrages, hopefully 5-6 to be able to fit in the station.

Then its onto the trucks.

So much money, this really aint cheap :lol:

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:53 am

"So much money, this really aint cheap"

It don't get any cheaper!!

Matt Peters

Postby Matt Peters » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:55 pm

Impressive so far, have you started on the lower levels yet?

DB

Postby DB » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:00 pm

At the moment there won't be a 2nd level. It requires too much framework and a lot more track/points.

As a complete noob, I thought it was going to be too much trying to make helixes, curved sloped track etc. So for the moment, bar the over-track bridge, it'll remain on one level...

Never count out the future though ;) But for the moment, I want to get this lot working (people are saying im still aiming too high for a first layout, but I don't like doing half jobs, go all the way and do it right, or don't do it at all :) )

Here's a "quick" plan. It will expand, goods sidings, coal hopper loaders etc etc... But this is how i want to get it layed out to start with. Green is a loco shed I mentioned. REd are platforms, and the grey lines are the HST siding/repair area that I also mentioned I may add.

taylork

Postby taylork » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:49 pm

Hi DB,
Not a modern image man myself but those Eurostars look pretty good on the large radius curves ya got there and the station should look pretty impressive to. I'm a firm believer in 'Biting off more than you can chew, then chewing like buggery'. Keep it going, looking good so far.
KT

DB

Postby DB » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:23 pm

Not much of an update. Just got most of the station layed and the mainline corners. Need to get some more points, then the fun part of modifying the points and start the electrics.

8 car length

I have some better lighting to install as well. I'll get the better camera out when its more worthy :lol:

Other end of station, top line will lead to loco shed. 2nd line in rejoins the mainline.

Class 66

Postby Class 66 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:26 pm

Wow! I don't think I've ever seen an 8 car Eurostar on a 00 layout!

Looks very good. Now if only I had that space!

DB

Postby DB » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:00 pm

DB

Postby DB » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:21 pm

Not a huge update. Had to pull up some baseboards in one corner (luckily no track laid) as it had started to bend a little. It was the last few baseboards I laid and I got a little lazy with the supports, so i've pulled the whole corner out and re-done the supports. Just a few final bits and i'll be ready to have all the boards laid.

Track wise i've just been getting bits to create the ramp for the over-track bridge, and im working out how best support everything. Hopefully soon i'll have something worth really sorted.

But i've written my xmas list too, so fingers crossed i'll have some more toys to play with. :D

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:43 pm

Love the vid of the loooooong Eurostar going under the bridge :D

Compares very well with this:-

Real Life Eurostar

Nice to see full-length modern trains in OO, usually only see them in N :wink:

Paul

DB

Postby DB » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:53 pm

Still not got the electrics started. Its been freezing and i've been quite busy, but the tracks nearly there. I need to make the over-bridge still, but i've put all irj's in place, and bought some wiring. Just got to get the copper droppers sorted and bus line in, still......... :oops:

This road crossing will go under the railway into a hillside tunnel, and the lower line will cross under just to the right. Im a little worried my gradient (unknow..) may be too steep, but we'll see.

Those pesky ES and Pendo seems to be trying to get in every shot. :twisted:

This is the top left corner exitting the station, I think i may cut the track and insert the points as below to allow better access for running off the freight line and mainline and depot.

On a happy note, father christmas (by that I mean parents and understanding gf :lol: ) treated me extreamly well. I guess the all want to see it done too and are trying to entice me to get my bottom in gear and make some time.

Lots more platforms. Well I guess I can have a station to play with, and also take time building my own special station. Might as well buy the last few to complete the above now for the intrim though.

With the above image, im pretty sure im going to add another baseboard to the left, and have the left hand track go onto the new board as a fiddle yard for un-used trains, coaches and trucks etc. Make a large train yard out of it.

Also got some rolling stock.
Hornby Class 66
Honby Class 67
x4 DHL wagons
x6 Asda wagons
X7 Sealions

Get some good length trains running hopefully.

Last edited by DB on Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lewis Nash

Postby Lewis Nash » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:53 pm

some very nice stock you have there in the last picture,all those sealion wagons look very impressive,it will be good to see a video of them being hauled by the class 66. :)
Keep up the good work! :)

Lewis.
NASHTON
website- http://nashton.webs.com/index.htm

ARPLEY STREET
http://arpleystreetmodelrailway.webs.com/
class 60 preservation group-http://www.c60pg.co.uk/
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]

DB

Postby DB » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:27 pm

When its operational, i'll have some videos online for everyone. :)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”