1st layout, a long road ahead

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
DB

1st layout, a long road ahead

Postby DB » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:30 pm

Well, been a member for a while, look in on others layouts and have had loads of inspiration.

I've had the basics for a while, but never really got into it. Always wanted a model railway since I was young (pah 27 now), and now i've got a "crib" I can start with the loft. Going to be modern image, no real life theme, just see how it goes. Its expensive stuff this model railway stuff!!!! :shock:

I'll post a "basic" track plan when i've finished it. Its going to be a large loop on the top have, and a lower half that forms a U shape (damn water tanks in the way so got to go back on itself) but it will be one long circuit. Still got loads to work out yet, and still only running a little hornby select controller. No doubt i'll need to upgrade this, and a power supply shortly :lol: Until then, im awaiting my good ol dads help getting power and my new lights in the loft, but seeing as he's recovering from a shoulder op, i doubt that'll be just yet. Until then, i will construct and hopefully update over time :)

Oh, still :?: :?: on what points to go for, no matter how much i read, im still confused :lol: . Its DCC so I think Insulfrogs points, hopefully all long ones too :)

Anyway, the beginning of a lot of work (seeing by a lot of your standards!!!!! 8) ).

Not wired, just checking how much room i've got to play with.

Hopefully a bridge of some sort.

Arrrgghh, now what to buy, some points, or some flexi track :?

beerandpies

Re: 1st layout, a long road ahead

Postby beerandpies » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:10 pm

Cracking start! I wish I had that space... Well, I think I do... But the loft scares me. BIG SPIDERS!
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

skylark

Postby skylark » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:06 pm

heya, nice looking boards!!

However, you say your layout is going to be DCC, for that, you should use electrofrog points as all parts of the layouts need to be live at all times.

Not a DCC expert so can someone else talk about this too

Thanks

Ben
i hate point motors

DB

Postby DB » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:28 pm

Arrrgghhh, back to more reading then :lol:

WEll, this is a basic basic plan. Red lines are the baseboards. THe inner red lines are the 2nd lower level. Grey lines are the tracks on the 2nd lower level, obviously the curves, even though hidden, will be R2 and R3 tracks. I'll be making the curves that you can see much less tight. If you can follow it though, it goes from the station (lower clockwise line), round, over the railway bridge, down to the end of the loft, and comes back to make rotation, back through the station, underneath the above railway bridge, then down an incline, 180 degrees back on itself, and is hidden. 90degree bend then you see a short section, then back under the baseboards, 180degrees again, then past the main lower section, then back into a tunnel, 180degrees, and back to the start again. Thats the basic plan, although i've left the whole station area blank at the moment. Not sure if i'll have lots of platforms, or a terminous, or 2 platforms and 2 spare fright lines in the middle.... I'll come to that later.

So the upper level is in. I just need to start the hardest construction part now of the lower level, and the curves that come back on themselves...

I think this uses my loft space best though, it works out about 2.5x around the loft. It also leaves me plenty of space to build up frieght sections, engine sheds etc as and when its all in and running.

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:48 pm

Impressive plans! I don't have the time, the money, space or the motivation to build something so big - I know myself, it would never get close to being finished! So I'm always impressed by those who can do this scale of project! Good luck, looks like it will be great!

blooregard

Postby blooregard » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:15 pm

Looking good so far, and an abitious plan.

I dont want to put Skylark down but you dont need Electrofrogs if your using digital, however electrofrogs will give you more reliable slow speed running on both DC and DCC.
Punctured bicycle on a hillside desolate.

skylark

Postby skylark » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:41 pm

told u i wasn't a DCC guy!!

sorry

It makes it easier to power the whole layout with less feeds though right?
i hate point motors

lmsrail

Postby lmsrail » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:32 am

Hi, cracking start and keep it up :wink:
One thing how many supports do you have to hold the baseboard up, just on the pic i only saw 1
Regards, Jed

DB

Postby DB » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:18 am

Hi there again.

Supports, well the bulk of it is screwed all into the loft supports. Although across the /\ end of the loft, i've got 3 legs. One left, one right, one in the middle. Its very sturdy and isn't going to go anywhere.

Top layer is completly in and screwed down now. Just thats little bridge to make. I have enough track for one loop (wooo, errr :? ), might even run an extension lead up there just to see if it works :lol:

Well, im not sure really how much i've let myself in for yet. Having nightmares about this ballasting lark already, especially with the size of it.

Got a lot of inspiration from Stroley Central, but i think he has just a "tad" more experience than me. So far, my experience is setting it up round the living room :lol:

Don't get me wrong, this is going to take me a loooooooooong time.
Last edited by DB on Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lmsrail

Postby lmsrail » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:46 pm

Thats good to hear, didnt want it collapsing on you :D
Regards, Jed

DB

Postby DB » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:36 pm

Well its been a long time since i've been able to do anything more. Mainly looking at other layouts, getting more ideas, and been saving what I can. Well the days come where I got to spend my cash and get some track and get this layout started.

I've scrapped the 2 level layout above, its just too complicated for a first time. Instead im going for a 2 way layout that goes through the station twice. I'll be making a bridge of some sort to raise one track over the other.

Well being a complete noobie, i've been working trial and error, mainly being error. I've started on my first corners with flexi track. I've made so many changes already, but now i've decided on a plan but will concentrate on getting the main lines working.

After station corner. As the far left line leads into a terminus, i may add another set of points before the rejoin to the mainline so trains can go into a HST siding and repair area/shed.

Station approach.

The two left lines will be a terminus. Two sets of middle is the mainline. 2nd track from right hand side
is an extra platform, and the far right will be connected as an extra freight line. At the other end of the loft it will split off to a loco shed and sidings, then it will rejoin the mainline.

I've not gone any further than the points just yet as I need to remove them and modify them for DCC use. I've got instructions online how to do it (Peco 100) but can I just use any decent wire to connect the points up, or can i solder on excess track under the points to make the electric connection?

Hope to get the other end of the station pinned down with track this week. I want to use wood as platforms instead of the hornby platforms, mainline for costs (will be the length of 15 hornby peices inc slopes).

Cheers

D
Last edited by DB on Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

barks

Postby barks » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:03 pm

hi & welcome.

im quite new here also, that looks like a great space, (i admit im jelous already!) but also a great start.

its going to be one big layout.

good luck.

ps dont cut all the trusses out, i did once hehehe. :D

barks
My Layout so far...

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:30 pm

looks like it's going to be one ambitious layout, but whatever you achieve make sure you run full length trains! :D
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

DB

Postby DB » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:59 pm

Well I was going to buy a whole new command center, but after chatting with the local model railway shop guy (who doesn't like hornby), he thinks running two select units and uprated adapters will suit me fine. Im going to be running the points on manual switches. Im not looking forward to the wiring, but i've got plenty of online guides, and if I get one point working, the rest should be easy. I want to get all the station track layed out then thats when i'll start the electrics. The rest then will follow..

He says...... :lol:

Got to stop myself getting locos and trucks now, must finish track first :lol:

Oh, does anyone know how the new hornby class 67's ews go? I like the look of those but know they haven't got the best reviews.

lmsrail

Postby lmsrail » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:13 am

You got some expensive hst and other locos there, no wonder where all your money is going.
Regards, Jed

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”