Frankland: N gauge Southern Railway

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
SouthernBoy

Re: Frankland: N gauge Southern Railway

Postby SouthernBoy » Tue May 01, 2012 8:09 pm

Thanks chaps, it's a pleasure to share what I've learned with you.
And as I've often said before - much of what I've learned is inspired by the work I see across the forums :)
Last edited by SouthernBoy on Thu May 03, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retroman

Postby retroman » Thu May 03, 2012 9:19 am

I'm just amazed at what you've accomplished in such a small gauge.

A beautiful work of art, well worth the painstaking hours you've put in.

Stunning.
1980s 50 and 37 basher. English Electric Roadie ....... Steam sniffers, move along please.

My Layout: MARSHFIELD WITH ELY BRIDGE
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14241

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Tue May 29, 2012 11:34 pm

for my layout I got the idea of using screws to hold my track in place and position it etc for you

have you also gotten 349867539865739862942945 comments saying things like "the screws really ruin this layout for me" "why are there screws there?" "wont those screws cause a problem?"

tractor37

Postby tractor37 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi there squire...
Just read your thread right through, can't belive I haven't seen it before.. Absolutely great work pal. Love the attention to detail to.. The bridges especially are top notch.. Shall be visiting more often now to pinch ideas lol...
Jas... :D

black sheep

Postby black sheep » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:50 pm

Michaelaface wrote:for my layout I got the idea of using screws to hold my track in place and position it etc for you

have you also gotten 349867539865739862942945 comments saying things like "the screws really ruin this layout for me" "why are there screws there?" "wont those screws cause a problem?"

The screws are used to just hold the track in place while planning / glueing, no?

I tried to do the same, but think I did it wrong as I couldn't get my track to stay in alignment, perhaps my screws were too big?

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:53 pm

That's right, screws are a temporary measure to hold track in place whilst making fine adjustments to alignment.

The underside of the head of the screws needs to be flat.

The screws need to be fixed firmly, but not too tightly otherwise they'll dig into the sleepers and leave a mark.

The screw heads need to be small enough so that they don't foul wheel flanges or the underneath of rolling stock as you test–run your trains over it.

Hope that helps :)

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:26 pm

thought that was going to be an update, disappointed =[

black sheep

Postby black sheep » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:12 am

SouthernBoy wrote:That's right, screws are a temporary measure to hold track in place whilst making fine adjustments to alignment.

The underside of the head of the screws needs to be flat.

The screws need to be fixed firmly, but not too tightly otherwise they'll dig into the sleepers and leave a mark.

The screw heads need to be small enough so that they don't foul wheel flanges or the underneath of rolling stock as you test–run your trains over it.

Hope that helps :)

I used countersunk screws - that's why it didn't work!

thanks, I take it the ballast put on in the usual way ( watered down PVA is sufficient to hold the track in position once the screws are removed?

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:02 pm

People have different methods - but mine is to loosen the screws and let the track rise a little, spread some PVA underneath (but not too near the screws), fix it back down again and lay some heavy books or something on top to keep it flat and level while it dries overnight. Then remove the screws. At some later point I do the ballasting with the standard watered-down PVA/washing up liquid mix.

black sheep

Postby black sheep » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:40 am

Ah, so each section is done bit by bit so that it doesn't disturb the rest of the layout?

do you do the same for the points, obviously keeping the glue away from the moving parts?

sorry for the spanish inquisition!

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:23 pm

Hello black sheep,

I did a good chunk at a time (say 2 or 3 feet / a metre).

Points: Yes, keep glue a good distance from anything that moves. If the track either side of the points is glued, you shouldn't need to worry about gluing the points themselves. They should keep their alignment naturally because they're fixed by the track either side. And once ballasted they'll stay firmly in place.

The one proviso being unless you've butted the track either side of the points up really tightly, in which case the points may bow because they're the only area not glued and weighted down, so they become the only place for 'pressure' to be released.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:04 pm

I've no experience of N gauge points but 00 ones often refuse to sit totally flat unless they are pinned in the vicinity of the frog. I've spoken to Peco bods at the NEC and on their home turf in Beer and their response was it's something you have to live with. It's due to the way in which the rails are introduced into the injection moulding process.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:24 pm

I didn't have that problem.

But like I said, people have different methods ... (according to personal experience I guess).

I'm not a Peco bod I'm afraid, so maybe the question should be addressed to them rather than me?

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:38 am

I think Pecos statement is a cop out. I my opinion. A smooth surface is hard to bond to. So to glue down I'd roughen the underside of the sleepers with ie coarse emery paper & score at ~45º with a scalpel.

I do have one question Mark. Did you find that ballasting with the usual dilute mix compromise the gluing down the track with neat PVA?

The reason that I ask. Is that I found after sticking down ie a wall with neat PVA & allowing to set. That when using dilute PVA to glue down the foliage, the wall became too unstable. In the end for similar situations. I glue down the item with super glue, then use the dilute PVA for the grass/foliage.
Regards,
Steve

My Layout;- Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout viewtopic.php?t=30856

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:50 pm

Hello Steve,

I can't say I've had any problems. The initial gluing was done with a fine line of PVA - about the the width of a cocktail stick - which was then spread thinly under the area where the track would rest with a bit of card. I didn;t need to rough-up any of the surfaces either.

That, along with the screws, seems to keep everything happily in place until I ballast.

I'm not quite sure why it doesn't work for you.

I've also read about ballasting using Johnson's Klear in lieu of PVA/water/washing up liquid, although I've not tried it. From what I recall it's less likely to cause the ballast to 'float' when the liquid is applied. But I've not tried it myself.

I don't know whether that helps or not :?

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”