A truly British Layout, constructed in France

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Spavo

Re: A truly British Layout, constructed in France

Postby Spavo » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:14 am

Yeah you know that layouts ok and all that but where's the operational interest huh.... :wink: :wink: :wink:

Good lord the more I look at the pics the more staggered I am......it is simply amazing......so please tell friend, what about track cleaning, you have a lot of cuttings and tunnels, what's your method please?

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

DavidM

Postby DavidM » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:36 pm

To live-frog; I am located in Calvados in Normandy, just south of CAEN.
To southernboy The whole concept was developed from a first hand knowledge of the real places, and obtaining the FOXLINE publications related to Buxton, 5 books in all.
I was in the middle of creating the Buxton to Millers Dale branch, and it was quite well developed within the very limited space I had available in my UK residence at that time. However my wife passed away in 1995, and my eldest son said "Hey Dad you have got all the house now", very true.
I commenced the idea of Buxton in 1998 and had just started, Flying Junction bridges, and the associated point work (Crossover hand made to suit the position) when I suddenly upped sticks and came over here. One small baseboard and plenty of pieces of Sundela came with me.
Due to the time taken in refurbishing a Norman Longhouse, in which I reside, the railway was not restarted until very late 2005. The space aspect being very important. The room in which it now resides, was on my arrival here, a hay loft. No floor, a sagging roof, and awful draughts. Now as you can see from the background in some of the photos, it is a comfortable den for Moi. Yes space was the most important factor, which had to be used to best advantage.
The Track plans were really developed as I went along and have only been committed to computer within the last six months.
If wished I will post some of my early photos of the development stages, which will show you all that it was a tedious and drawn out process.
As I mentioned before, every track layout, railway buildings etc have been drawn on my computer, by scaling as best as possible the photos in the above publications, also from Bill Hudsons renowned book "Through Limestone Hills."
Finally the expenditure has been minimal as a result, especially for a UK pensioner, the major cost being in new GF locos and wagons. 98 locomotives in total and 260 pieces of rolling stock. An awful lot originating from my initial venture into "N" gauge in 1975, and the subsequent years.
Very few failures to date, the old Farish stand a lot of adjustment, to the gears etc, but can run very well.
An essential point is the CONTROLLER, and I purchased two Morley Victors and these are fantastic for slow running of all locos, Farish, Dapol, Minitrix whatever.
To Spavo: Regarding track cleaning, I have purchased myself the TOMIX track cleaner from Dapol, and must say it's the best £36 I have spent. Previously the method was a Farish Sulphate wagon with a piece of EMERY paper mounted on a foam pad, the wagon weighted heavily with Lead and pulled around by the toughest loco. It worked, but the Tomix is just great, but watch your clearances. It's Japanese origin.
Any way guys, off to the UK tomorrow, will provide more photos on return, and hopefully answer any more queries.
Aurevoir
DavidM

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:00 pm

I am most impressed by this layout. It is packed with activity without being over-cramped and even better, the trackplan gives loads of operational interest and possibilities. Quite simply, one of the best all round layouts I've seen on here. you should rightly feel proud of it.

I am also impressed with the control panel. It looks neat and, once familiar with it, doubtless easy to use

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:13 pm

Hi

Not much left to say but this is a Inspiration Post

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Cant wait for me pics :wink:

Lee
My N Gauge Layout.

Sunshine In The Lakes <<<<< Old layout no more

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44159 <<<<< Back to the Lakes (New Layout 2013)

sheep21

Postby sheep21 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:28 am

absolutely stunning!

If i ever make a layout half as good as this I will be very happy

MrT

Postby MrT » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:26 am

Just to echo others posts, this really is a magnificent layout David. Thanks for posting up some pictures and information about it. Makes me glad I've moved back to N gauge again!

iankemp

Postby iankemp » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:50 pm

this is one railway layout i will be watching as my "ex" comes from Buxton and her mum is from there as well.

just one thing i should mention is that Buxton used to have 2 gable ends one for the midland railway and the other for the LNWR this was a railways station that catered for 2 railway companies.

Good work keep it up. Very insparational layout. Mine is slowly coming along now.
Last edited by iankemp on Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidM

Postby DavidM » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:44 pm

To iankemp:
Be patient my friend and all will be revealed at a later time, in the very near future when I return to Frogland.
If you look at the 3D track plan you will see both stations are there, as they are on the real layout. The waiting rooms even have fireplaces to suit the chimneys.
Buxton LNWR was platforms 1,2 and the Ashbourne bay 3. The Midland station was platforms, Millers Dale bay 4, 5 and 6. The later two being under the overall roof which was of a slightly different design to the LNW train shed.
Anyway I promise more pics in a few days time.

Sleep well folks,
DavidM.

iankemp

Postby iankemp » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:49 am

from the pics i have got of them in books they look alot closer than what your 3D pic indicates. it is more or less a small brick wall that is inbetween the gable ends.

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:50 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

live-frog

Postby live-frog » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:13 am

DavidM wrote:To live-frog; I am located in Calvados in Normandy, just south of CAEN.

Ah , that's a shame , I was hoping to pop round for a quick look :D but I'm 6 hours away in Limousin between Limoges & Brive .
I have a question for you ; in Picture no.4 , is that a Super D loco that I see ? is it a kit ?

Regards
Ron

DavidM

Postby DavidM » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:46 pm

Reply to live-frog.
Sorry I've been so long in replying. Regarding the Super D. No it's not a kit, and I have two of them, they are available from Union Mills Models in the Isle of Man. Generally advertised in Railway Modeller. They are brilliant models, tender drive with traction tyres, metal body making their tractive effort excellent, 63 wagons on the quite severe gradients on my layout. Extra good slow running, equivalent to around 15mph in scale terms. Price around £70. Well worth it if the pocket allows.
If you want the telephone number, let me know and I'll post it when I get back to France next week.

Regards
David

DavidM

Postby DavidM » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:09 pm

iankemp wrote:from the pics i have got of them in books they look alot closer than what your 3D pic indicates. it is more or less a small brick wall that is inbetween the gable ends.

Ian, you are correct in some way. The two stations were slightly angled such that the dead end with the Paxton Windows were closer together that the throat end. However because of dimensions of the baseboard and limitations of space, modellers licence had to be applied.
Regarding the brick wall you mentioned. Up to the early 1920's there was a stone wall with a centre gate, joining the road access end of the station yard. This wall was removed to allow the increase in vehicular traffic as the opening was too small for motorised lorries etc. Photos of the area after that time, show the remaining pillars built into the walls of the station buildings.

This is the view from the railway end of the Midland Train Shed.

Here is another imagined view, Midland Pullman entering Midland side. (It never actually entered Buxton as it spent it's life travelling between Manchester Central and London St Pancras). The backscene here was computer generated, before I had completed the real backscene.

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:43 pm

If you ever get bored with it can I have first refual on buying it? lol
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:01 pm

DavidM wrote:Image

Mate, that is a magnificent picture....AidAANNNN! Get thissun on the next NRM Exhibition ;)

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”