A truly British Layout, constructed in France

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
ste234

Re: A truly British Layout, constructed in France

Postby ste234 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:12 pm

hi there, just a quick question, what do you put in between the rails just outside the diesel depot?, is it just card?
Thanks,
Ste. :)
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

DavidM

Postby DavidM » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:01 pm

Hello folks.

It seems a long time since this thread was on page 1. What with all the summer activities and other more pressing considerations, time seems to have flown.
I have however, not being idle.
The Buxton backscene has annoyed me for a while and I have now changed the Stone/Brick and Roof patterns on the houses to I believe, give a more realistic effect. Comments would be appreciated!
The originals were all created using various bitmap fills and tended to give a very Grey colouring, which to the eye was too grey for Buxton, as even though it is limestone country, the stone used for a lot of the older houses was more of a light red sandstone.
I have now spent a lot of time using various download textures from http://www.cgtextures.com/ and by scaling, grouping and pasting on the original computer drawn images seem visually to have a much more realistic effect. The slate rooves in particular, make a big difference.

Probably worth comparing the earlier photos on this thread.

Also you will see that I have constructed additional scenery at the side of the LNWR exit from the station. Here the Cottages are Metcalf units, with downloaded stone faces and tiled roofing added. All this is removable in order to obtain access to the hidden tracks below.

Additionally all my visible pavements have been redone, as I hate the uniformity of the Metcalf pavements. I found in my stock some pavement sheets produced by “Mainstreet Models of Portsmouth”, who I believe no longer exist, and these are far superior to the others., even Scalescenes. They are very much to scale. The photos aren’t brilliant, because the lighting needs to be improved to remove the need for the Camera Flash. I suppose I’ll get better!!

Locos and rolling stock have also increased, the Dogfish from Dapol, the Seacow and Bogie Bolsters from Farish are brilliant.
Bargain diesels from both Kernow and Hattons have been resprayed into BR Green era and my diesel fleet 1958 to 1965 has grown to 36. Me a Kettle man as well !!, ah well they look good.

Finally in answer to STE1234’s query about the diesel depot surface around the tracks, much belated I know, sorry, but it is 1.5mm card chamfered to fit over the sleepers and covered with Metcalf pavement sheet.

All for now
DavidM

BR125

Postby BR125 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:42 pm

Wow!!! :shock: :o What an awesome layout,just gone through the whole thread and I'm stunned,we are not worthy! :D Image

Cheers
Daz
ImageWith my silken line and delicate hook,i wander in a myriad of ripples and find freedom!

MrT

Postby MrT » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:28 pm

Great pictures David, good to see the layout again. I think the new backscenes are definitely more in keeping with Buxton, nicely done. I know what you mean as regards the metcalfe pavements - I'll be removing mine at some point soon I think.

sishades

Postby sishades » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:35 pm

What a stunning layout.....beautiful!
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

ceejaydee

Postby ceejaydee » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:50 pm

Never tire of seeing pics of your fantastic layout David.
Makes me ashamed that I haven't touched mine for months :oops:
Regards
Christopher D.

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:43 pm

Hello David,
This has been the first time I have seen your Lay-out. The last four(4) hours has been spell-binding. Your dedication is a pleasure to be-hold. Almost every aspect of your Lay-out is of such a high-standard that "they" are individual Focal Points. No matter where you look the perspective is accentuated. The whole Lay-out is a multitude of Focal Points. They ALL look right, because you have adapted, honed, varied, adjusted, modified and re-worked EVERY part of the Lay-out until it looks better than the Real Thing. Your modelling skills are supremely good. If I am able, in some small-way, to replicate even a fraction of your skill and dedication I will be very pleased. Thank You so very much,
Michael Thornberry.

lmsrail

Postby lmsrail » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:48 pm

Hey mate, love your layout. What did you use for the roads?
Regards, Jed

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:11 am

Hello David

Good to hear that you have been busy albeit quietly so! I for one am greatly relieved to not only find out that you are still very much still around but have even found away to improve what was already and excellent model. I can see what you mean about the newer houses. There is a certain depth in the tone of the new structures that was missing a little before. The added tonal contrasts really does help to "three-dimensionalise" them if you know what I mean. There's a greater degree of prespective for one thing!

I look forward to more pix when you get a chance, not least of some of your newer locos (and yes, I'm ostensibly a 'kettle' man too! :lol: )

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

B@rney

Postby B@rney » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:31 pm

Its not often I feel compelled to comment on a layout page..

But WOW, such a sense of depth from those back scenes.. stunning. and you get to live in france too... Jeylousy is a funny green colour..

DavidM

Postby DavidM » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:19 pm

sishades wrote:What a stunning layout.....beautiful!

Thanks very much. Mind you it takes a lot of hours, swear words and cigars to achieve the end result.
Good to hear from you again
DavidM

DavidM

Postby DavidM » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:26 pm

Michael Thornberry wrote:Hello David,
This has been the first time I have seen your Lay-out. The last four(4) hours has been spell-binding. Your dedication is a pleasure to be-hold. Almost every aspect of your Lay-out is of such a high-standard that "they" are individual Focal Points. No matter where you look the perspective is accentuated. The whole Lay-out is a multitude of Focal Points. They ALL look right, because you have adapted, honed, varied, adjusted, modified and re-worked EVERY part of the Lay-out until it looks better than the Real Thing. Your modelling skills are supremely good. If I am able, in some small-way, to replicate even a fraction of your skill and dedication I will be very pleased. Thank You so very much,
Michael Thornberry.

Michael, and everyone else,
Thank you all very much for the comments. Much appreciated.
Regarding the Pavements, if I could guarantee that Mainstreet Models no langer existed, I could do some Pdf copies, free of charge, but only if the Copyright no longer exists. Anyone have any info ?
In the next few days I'll put some locos and stock on the layout and take more photos, time permitting.
I am presently redoing the backscene behind the Stations, and that is proving more difficult, as I am unable to create much depth because of access space. Anyway ONWARDS and UPWARDS as they say.

Bye for now
DavidM

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:32 pm

Hello David,
Just brought this back to the "Top Page" just in case you can't find it :lol: :P . At least now it's ready for ALL those Pages of up-dates you haven't actually done yet :lol: . Sitting at the computer recovering from hand-mixing 2 tons of sand, gravel and cement.(I've just remembered this may commonly be known as aggragate - please advise :lol: ) This has covered 1/5th of the base for the 16' x 20' shed. The "Mind is Strong, the Body is Weak", although the way I feel my "Mind" could be on a down-ward spiral as well :shock: :x . Take Care,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Postby 0121modeller » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:17 pm

Excellent layout David.
A fantastic achievement overall , the amazing artistic appeal of this work & you've great foresight in planning the finished article.

Inspirational ! :wink:

Dave.
Last edited by 0121modeller on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

DavidM

Postby DavidM » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:30 pm

Hello folks,
First of all, many thanks to Michael Thornbury for your comments and interest. Hope you received my last PM.
Well I have just spent over a week, two colour cartridges and a lot of sweat and tears creating, hopefully, a vastly improved background
for Buxton LNWR station. I think it's a vast improvement on the previous version, comments please. It is certainly more in proportion and the major properties are now in three layers to create an impression of depth.
After spraying with four coats of Artists Clear Matt Varnish Spray, and then a coat of Humbrol Matt Enamel varnish, I hope it will resist the light. That's the trouble with Ink Jet Printer Inks, they suffer from massive fading if not well coated. Fingers crossed!
That I suppose is the benefit of loft layouts without natural light.

All comments and advice are welcomed.
All for now
DavidM

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”