New Layout - Been a while but off and running.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
CRABFAT

New Layout - Been a while but off and running.

Postby CRABFAT » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:36 am

Hello all. Im beginning a new layout this week. Ive spent many a long hour debating and mulling over the plan and what to purchase for it etc. Finally Ive come up with this plan below which looks fairly interesting to me. I will be putting up some how to`s for those of you like me who are new to this game. Firstly though, I would be grateful if someone like flashbang could take a look at the proposed wiring of the plan to make sure that I have got it right. The layout is going to made with Peco Code75 rail and electrofrog points and will be DCC controlled by a ZTC 505 unit. Also could admin remove the link to "STACAMIE END" as this layout has been dismantled and is no more.

B***GER Just noticed how flamin small this picture comes out, to try and make it easier, all frogs have 2 IRJ`s on them except the diamond which has 8 and seperate feeds. All the red and green squares are power feeds (I know theres a lot but I prefer it that way)

And heres a direct link to the full sized picture,

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t166 ... ired-1.jpg

OR NOT!

Blimey, cant believe its so difficult to get a full blown picture, flash and others I hope you can see the irj`s and connections ok.

Thanks all, Chris
Last edited by CRABFAT on Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:23 pm, edited 9 times in total.
If it aint broke, break it anyway!

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17559

Johnsy

Re: New Layout

Postby Johnsy » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:07 am

Sounds good to me

Good to see a well designed plan

I assume its going to be a steam based layout or at least not modern
How long has my sleeve been in the PVA...

My Current Layout Progress - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2346&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

CRABFAT

Postby CRABFAT » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:41 pm

Yep, steam based with a rural theme. Ive got everything I need except the baseboards which ive ordered from Brilliant baseboards. They should be here on Tuesday. Im starting to modify the points this afternoon and will build and lay the track over the next few days.

Dale_the_noob

Postby Dale_the_noob » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:09 pm

My only suggestion would be to try and increase the radius of the curve, it looks quite tight and with the space you have it could be much shallower and so look more realistic.

By flipping your fiddle yard over (left to right) the feeding road will be close to the back and allow for a larger radius curve.

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:32 am

Hi Chris
I have had a good look over the plan and it seems to be wired ok. Well done. :D
Some of the feeds are duplicated on the same side of rail, but that is not such a bad thing as it offers improved reliability. As drawn it should work ok

I have a small concern over the diamond crossing in the top section, if it were my plan I would be looking at using a single of double slip here. These give more operational potential and are that much easier to wire with no possible sort circuits occurring through wheels touching opposing polarity rails as can happen on a diamond.

What Turntable are you planning on using?
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

CRABFAT

Postby CRABFAT » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:53 pm

PM sent flashbang.

Dale, the largest loco I have (N15 King Arthur) Goes around a 15 inch radius ok. The curve in the plan isnt really representative of the way it will be on the layout. The fiddle yard has to be on the back of the board as the front will have to double up as a workspace. I live in a wimpy 3 bedroom rabbit hutch and have stolen the conservatory from the rest of the family :D for the layout.

For the rest of you, heres a lis of the items that will make up the layout

Brilliant baseboards x 2 plus 1 homemade.
ZTC 505 controller
ZTC 302 Point motors (Fully DCC ready with polarity switching and LED indication.
Peco code 75 points with electrofrogs
Peco code 75 flexi track
Heljan electric turntable with indexing.
And an absolutly huge pile of other bits and bobs from Bachmann to International models retaining walls.

The baseboards should arrive on Tuesday and I will be putting them together tomorrow, I will have a review and pictures on here tomorrow night If they turn up.

Rolling stock at the moment consists of
1 x N15
3 X Tank engines (Various types)
3 x coaches SR Mk1 Bachmann
10 X Freight wagons.

Keep watching folks, see how not to do things then how to correct them :D

CRABFAT

Re: New Layout - Brilliant basboards arrived 2/9/8

Postby CRABFAT » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:53 pm

Ok, baseboards arrived today. Below is a review on building and 1st impressions.

1. The kit arrives packed in cellophane and is compact and extremely light. Both boards weighed in at 11kg and that included the outer cardboard packing.

2. This is one of the kits laid out. Instructions are clear, concise, and very easy to follow. The kit itself is so basic you probably wouldnt need them if you have normal level of intelligence (Thats me out then!)

3. First thing to do is check all the parts over to make sure they are all there, then layout 1 of the long beams with the slits up and add a short crossbeam in the middle, slots down. Then ease the rest of the long beams into the slots on the short cross beam, like this.

4. Next, add the rest of the cross beams, you end up with it looking like this.

5. When you are putting the beams together, the instructions talk about sanding any beams that are difficult or tight to fit. Personally all the beams I had in this kit slid together without fault. The next stage is to glue the ensemble together. Again the instructions mention putting down non-absorbant paper to soak up any spilled glue. I took a bin bag and sliced it down the middle and placed it underneath. Like this.

6. Using the glue and brush provided, its time to start sticking it all together. A WORD OF WARNING The glue supplied, is unknown to me and is very runny, the brush is small and not easily pushed into the slots. More mess can be made this way if you are not careful.

7. I found the easiest way to glue the parts was to squeeze out a drop between the open slot and let it dribble down to the bottom. Then use the brush to bring it back up and coat both sides. It may not be easy to see here but you glue the slots of both beams.

8. Once all the beams have been glued together, measure the diagonals to make sure it is square, this was done with a tape measure and resulted in the smallest of adjustments needed by pushing the longest side. Leave the board for a couple of hours for the glue to dry (Takes 24 hours to properly set). Next we move on to the end boards.

9. These are slotted into the end spaces and lined up so that the holes for legs and wiring match the crossbeam holes. These are glued in place and held with G clamps.

10. Once the glue has dried sufficiently you end up with this. The only thing left to do is to drill 2 x 10mm holes (Already drilled in end plates) through the end plates and 1st crossbeam for the handle and bolts for attaching the next baseboard. I will also need to add some legs.

So, 1st impressions.

GOOD

Extremely light
Very well made
Very strong and sturdy, in fact they are so good that they allow thinner tops due to the number of supports underneath (6MM In my case)
Easy to assemble (Especially if like me you cant saw a straight line even with a laser guide!)
Quick to assemble (Honestly took more time to unwrap than to get to stage 6)
Cost is good considering what you get, both boards are the ultimate 4x7 and including delivery came to £150.
Instructions clear and precise
The old fella who sent them out is extremely helpful.

BAD

Glue very runny (PVA or No Nails may be better)
Brush as supplied is not the best by a long way but copes.....just.
After gluing and checking everything, some of the end plates and long and crossbeams are a little proud of each other at the ends. This can be easily sorted with sandpaper as we are only talking less than 1mm.
Legs from the website are too expensive in my opinion, they cost more than the boards!

All in all, im pleased with the purchase. I will makeup the second board tomorrow and drill holes as premarked and join them together. At this point I will add a top and sides. I intend putting 2 x 2 legs on the boards which can be bolted on from side and front, holes are already drilled to accept bolts. These will be cross braced and will be more than strong enough.

Any questions?

Cheers Chris
Last edited by CRABFAT on Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geo6606

Postby Geo6606 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:02 pm

Im interested in those boards
1. where did you get them
2. what is the quality like
3. can you pass me some contact info please

Malton Seadog

Postby Malton Seadog » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:13 pm

Matt

CRABFAT

Postby CRABFAT » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:33 pm

Geo, you posted as i was finishing my post, see above for the finished article. I punched submit instead of preview half way in. Sorry.

beerandpies

Postby beerandpies » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:38 pm

The end result looks very tidy. Considering I spent around £40 on timber for my base board I can see why this would make a good alternative.. It looks a million times better! Nice to see it also has holes for wiring too.
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

CRABFAT

Postby CRABFAT » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:41 pm

It is very good and is worth the money, if like me you are useless at woodworking. These are the most expensive ones but there are cheaper. I want to carve a bit off these for landscaping at some point so thats why I chose the ultimate. The basic one which is around half the cost is just as good only with less wood.

Malton Seadog

Re: New Layout - Brilliant basboards reviewed 2/9/8

Postby Malton Seadog » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:46 pm

A couple of questions:

1) How big are the boards in total (ft x ft)?
2) How much, if you don't mind me asking, were the boards and legs?
Matt

CRABFAT

Postby CRABFAT » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:52 pm

Hi, the boards are 1200x600x130mm (4`x2` in old money)
The cost is in the write up. 2 x Ultimate boards with delivery is £150. Other boards are cheaper. Legs were £65 a pair I think? Thats £130 per board!!!! Cheaper to make my own. Even I can ask B&Q to cut 4 lengths of timber the same.

Web address is www.brilliant-baseboards.co.uk

Tel. 0845 296 87 30

Malton Seadog

Postby Malton Seadog » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:35 pm

£65 the pair?!

I value my own legs at less than that!

I've got some B&Q trestles which were on here a while back, and they are fantastic.

A few of them and some wall brackets do the trick if the layout is stationary.
Matt

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”