Stumpy's loft.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
SouthernBoy

Re: Stumpy's loft.

Postby SouthernBoy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:48 pm

I'm impressed with the time/thought/detail you've put in there Stumpy, and I think it's paid dividends. The retaining walls look nice and substantial, the roof looks like it's been properly engineered (not a Hornby accessory plonked on a layout) , the little details lend period atmosphere and I shouldn't worry about different shades of green around the place as I think it lends a certain authenticity :) My favourite pictures are those around the buffer ends :)

In your very first post on this thread you said "The eventual idea of the layout is to run BR blue/sectorisation era with plenty of steam specials! I feel drawn heavily towards Sothern Railway/Region and GWR/Western Region although i find LNER quite fascinating also!" - Does this recent update with all it's 'Southern green' mean you're leaning now more toward Southern?

Either way - nice work :)

Stumpy

Postby Stumpy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:20 am

mattmay05 wrote:I love what you done with the canopy! appart from that single canopy on the bay platform... its stands out and looks toy like, either needs some weathering to dull it down or a different canopy type... doesn't look right to me. But the main station is great.

Thanks for your comments Matt, i think you're right about the single canopy, it does need dulling down/weathering a bit, i may even try and create a Southern Railway style canopy with a pitch roof but still using the Hornby canopy supports, i've noticed that Southern type canopy supports on the real thing are very similar (Pictures from books etc) but run widthways instead of lengthways like the Hornby ones, i think it could easily be done by turning them 90 degrees and maybe scratch building a pitch roof type wooden canopy, thanks, :wink: .

SouthernBoy wrote:I'm impressed with the time/thought/detail you've put in there Stumpy, and I think it's paid dividends. The retaining walls look nice and substantial, the roof looks like it's been properly engineered (not a Hornby accessory plonked on a layout) , the little details lend period atmosphere and I shouldn't worry about different shades of green around the place as I think it lends a certain authenticity :) My favourite pictures are those around the buffer ends :)

In your very first post on this thread you said "The eventual idea of the layout is to run BR blue/sectorisation era with plenty of steam specials! I feel drawn heavily towards Sothern Railway/Region and GWR/Western Region although i find LNER quite fascinating also!" - Does this recent update with all it's 'Southern green' mean you're leaning now more toward Southern?

Either way - nice work :)

Thank You SouthernBoy!

Looking back to the beginning of my thread i think to myself "What was i on about!" Seeing how my thinking (For want of a better word!) has changed about what i want from the layout :oops: , still, i suppose it's something some of us do go through, i'm defo a Southern man, always have leaned that way anyway, i expect the odd inter-regional working will creep in from time to time though! But i still like the sectorisation period with steam specials idea as that was the favourite period of my career as a driver so far because we had a good healthy mixture of freight work and juice work (Passenger work) then and i think i've got alot to offer/put into that sort of layout from a real life prospective! P'raps another layout sometime? Who knows! :lol: . But for now on the OO gauge front at least, the Southern Railway 1930's/1940's AKA the Maunsell/Bullied era's hold a great fascination for me although i know it won't be true accuracy in some respects but as long as i get that sort of 'aroma' from it i'll be happy! Thanks for your comments, :wink: .

Cheers everyone! Happy modelling! :D .
"A nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat! Know what i mean!? Eh? Eh?"

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:42 pm

Hello Stumpy. You have a knack of blending Hornby accesories into scratchbuilt stuff that makes it seem like it was designed for your layout.
Great work, I could do with one of those micro drill thingies!

Stumpy

Postby Stumpy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:20 am

Thanks Andrew!

They're a super handy thing to have around, I've got a spare one if you want it? Yeah, i've got all these Hornby bits and pieces lurking in the loft (Amongst other things! :lol: ) and i thought i might aswell make use of 'em! Although i do enjoy scratchbuilding, some of the Hornby stuff can make a good basis for some things i think, i've been quite lucky that it just seems to fit! With a bit of modding of course! Although some might cringe at me cutting them up, i don't know :? .
Just wondering how to go about tidying the bases of the arches, i might cut some strips of stone sheet card, (say 2 or 3 courses high) fold them to double thickness then put 'em round the bases, or something like that, anyway, gonna get on with some other stuff on the layout for now while i ponder it! More updates as and when, thanks for your comments, by the way, i still haven't thought of a name! I think it'll have to be something Junction though, :idea: :shock: , there's a thought! :D .

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:09 pm

I echo the words of the above, but I must say the station looks amazing! A few more details here and there, a couple of passengers waiting for their train and it'll be perfect!
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Stumpy

Postby Stumpy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:06 pm

Thank you for your kind words Peter!

Yes, a bit more detail will be going into it eventually, it just seems to be taking so long, but then i suppose these things do! I seem to do alot more thinking than doing at the moment! :lol: , i don't want to overcrowd it though but there will be some more platform furniture and people etc to bring it to life a bit more, maybe a news stand, a set of weighing scales, things like that and i'd like to put suspended lighting in under the canopies, (Probably non-working) just things that i think should be there but keeping it basic at the same time, i'm a right one for keeping things basic and in order! :roll: , I know the real railway isn't but i can't seem to help it! It's just the way my mind works! :roll: , i get all sort of flustered if things look a mess, silly i know! Cheers! :wink: .

Stumpy

Postby Stumpy » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:01 pm

Well it's chucking it down and blowing a hooly outside so i'm in the loft, my intention sometime over this weekend is to have a clean up and do some fettling on my 'Royal Sovereign' single wheeler but i keep tripping over all this polystyrene and i found a big pot of PVA in the shed (It amazes me what keeps appearing in the shed, i forgot i bought that!!) so this is what i'm up to tonight!

What a mess it makes an' all!! Started this off on the other side of the layout a little while back...

...and i got a bit further with the parcels/goods dock,

one modified Hornby station building,

Ere Fred! Where shall i put this!?

Dunno mate!! You making the tea!?

Thanks for looking, more soon! :wink: .

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:16 pm

Super work, keep the photos coming.

Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/

Stumpy

Postby Stumpy » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:17 pm

Oh yeah! Someone asked me how and with what i painted my track, so i thought i'd put a couple of pictures that i sent them on here just in case anyone's interested! Weeeell! You never know!! :lol: , i just brushed it on straight from the pot (Emulsion) but i let the first coat dry and noticed the sides of the rails still shining through so i gave it another coat making sure i worked it into the sides of the rails, it's the same colour i used as the base colour for the baseboard, that was a mouthful!! :shock: ,

just cleaned the railhead up with a track rubber after it dried,

doesn't look too bad i think!

All the coaching stock is in the station at the moment while i'm working on the tunnel cuttings.

This is where it all normally lives, in the storage/carraige sidings, they'll be hidden eventually, well, that's the intention anyway.

Anyway, that's all for now, more soon i hope, cheers, :wink: .

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:23 pm

The first set of pictures are great - I can almost see whiffs of steam floating past :)
Once you've got a lick of weathering on those bright colours to tone them down it's going to be almost indiscernible from the real thing.
Love the cameos with the porters :)

As for the second set of pictures - I'd never guess that was foam underlay. Maybe it's something to do with the 'fashionable' and 'elegant' nature of the paint as proclaimed on the tin :?

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:24 pm

Fred and his mate (and their work load) really bring the station to life! And all the little details. More, more, he cries! :twisted:

Looks like you've been cracking on with the rest of the layout as well!
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:38 pm

Stumpy wrote:Image

YAY!!! SNOW!!! :D :D :D

Great railway there
Great stock there, envious of your pullman rake.............i will get one (i keep telling myself!!)

T&C
A layout is never finished, it's just a shortage of ideas.

Film-making Railway Enthusiast.

81D

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:29 am

Hi Stumpy,

Looking very good - those figures start to bring it to life. Perhaps as Andrew GROTLAND might say, to finish it of some of those buildings and the goods canopy need to be made dirty, bordering on filthy. Yes I'm also nervous about sloshing dirty paint over something which has taken hours of work !!!

Geoff T
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Stumpy

Postby Stumpy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:19 am

Thank You all for your kind comments and observations! The general consensus seems to be that we need some weathering and I totally agree! Things do need 'dirtying' a bit! I will get around to doing that eventually, there's still a fair bit to do with the parcels/goods dock, e.g, lead flashing where the roof joins the wall, weathering on the roof (It's Wills plastic sheet by the way) and the canopy needs modifying, also i'd like to create a bit more activity on the station itself. I just fancied a bit of a break from the station area while i think about things so i decided to start some basic scenic work, hence the snow!! YAY! :lol: .
I know the paint is a bit 'posh' innit! It took bloomin' ages to find just a Brown coloured paint, never mind one with the right sort of shade! I suppose it's not a very popular colour for decorating in general, unless it's got a posh name of course, It's Braaaaaown innit!!!!? :lol: .
All the coaching stock has taken a while to build up, to kick things off i was very lucky that my Father gave me three of the Pullmans, and then i got another three for a reasonable price (£40) off E Bay and then i bought the two brakes and the observation car seperately, all with working table lamps! 4 of the maunsell coaches were the result of a swop/deal with our local friendly model shop for all my 'old' coaching stock and then i bought the others separately as time went on, they're all different running numbers and there's three brakes as well so if i can get another one eventually i can make up a couple of fixed sets and p'raps number them on the coach ends, anyway, thanks folks! Happy modelling! :wink: .

sishades

Postby sishades » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:42 pm

That paint looks spot on. Was it expensive?
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”