Stumpy's loft.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
davek

Re: Stumpy's loft.

Postby davek » Wed May 27, 2009 9:07 pm

Excellent job Jimbo,! That little bit extra really gives it an extra dimension.

sapper_k

Postby sapper_k » Wed May 27, 2009 10:48 pm

hi
i been watching this layout develop really well, especially this wall you are building behind the station
some great ideas there, the printing of the arch way "genius" i would have sat there and made 23 individual arches and been at it all year lol

i was just looking at the hight of the rest of the wall if you dont mind me butting in to a great job but ive had a play around with a pic of yours only on paint so nothing spectacular but just a thought

anyway here you go

maybe not even the same brick you are using maybe red or yellow brick i dont know
like i say it was just an idea and IMO would look as though it is giving more support to a very high wall.

regards

kye
CONGRESS CAN MAKE GENERALS....ONLY COMMUNICATIONS CAN MAKE A COMMANDER

Thunderbird

Postby Thunderbird » Thu May 28, 2009 8:09 am

Now you've done the detail around the arches they really do look fantastic. The time you've spent on them has been time well spent. Those platforms are going to look amazing with some "furniture" and associated cameos.

My Dad used to live in Peckham Rye so it may have been Denmark Hill that they are reminding me of, used to spend my school hoildays travelling around London on travelcards.

Great work, keep it up

cheers

Thunderbird
aka
John
Manager of the Famous under-achieving Lawton Rovers (NRM xperteleven div2)

Plans are now afoot for the 2nd relocation and resumtion for my N gauge layout Lawton Road..

sishades

Postby sishades » Thu May 28, 2009 10:40 am

oooooh! That is lovely, the arch effect is very good indeed. And unlike Bath Green Park your canopy does not include those new modern anti gravity girders.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Stumpy

Postby Stumpy » Thu May 28, 2009 12:07 pm

Thanks for your comments guys! :wink: , it's a real boost! Cheers,

It would no doubt be miles better if it was done using textured plastic sheet from Wills or something, but i do like messing around with card and paper and it's alot cheaper too! (tight git! :lol: ).

Kye, that's smashing mate! Thanks for taking the time to do that, and don't worry, i'm always open to suggestions or ideas, i was thinking along those lines myself but haven't formulated a definite plan yet! It looks good to me but there's only one little snag, i've only got about a 2mm or 3mm ledge along the middle for the piers to sit on so i think they would have to extend to platform level and as they would probably be sloping piers (getting thicker as they go down) they may not leave much room on the platforms, (depending on the angle of dangle!) so i'm not absolutely sure how to go about it yet, any other ideas would be most welcome mate! One thing i was thinking about is maybe constructing some sort of box section through the middle from one end to the other so i could have straight piers from that down to platform level and then it would be thick enough to have sloping piers from the middle upwards, Waddya think? :?

Thanks for your comments Thunderbird! Denmark Hill did actually occur to me afterwards, i used to go through there a fair bit many moons ago!

Cheers sishades, :wink: , i don't know what you mean about the anti-gravity girders but the canopys will get some modifying at some point,

More to come sometime soon hopefully anyway, and keep those ideas coming! Any comments, suggestions or criticism most welcome!

Thanks folks! :D .
"A nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat! Know what i mean!? Eh? Eh?"

sishades

Postby sishades » Thu May 28, 2009 1:06 pm

i don't know what you mean about the anti-gravity girders but the canopys will get some modifying at some point,

Sorry I should explain. Bath Green Park is a very large layout which won Layout of the year in the Hornby mag a while back. Although visually stunning the girder roof did not fit properly and floated about a cm above each pillar, hence the "anti gravity" comment.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Stumpy

Postby Stumpy » Thu May 28, 2009 1:33 pm

sishades wrote:Sorry I should explain. Bath Green Park is a very large layout which won Layout of the year in the Hornby mag a while back. Although visually stunning the girder roof did not fit properly and floated about a cm above each pillar, hence the "anti gravity" comment.

Aah! Gotcha! :lol: , I thought the name Bath Green Park sounded familiar, i presumed you were talking about a real live station! :oops: , i must have seen it in one of the mag's, if i see it again i'll have a closer look at the canopy, cheers! :wink: .

engineer dave

Postby engineer dave » Thu May 28, 2009 2:12 pm

Hi Stumpy

Just read this thread right thru. Very interesting. I like all the step-by-step bits That station with all the arches and canopy is great. You must have the patience of a saint to make all those arches. Very impressive.

BTW, Bath Green Park is/was a real live station. Its now the site of our local Sainsbury's but all the station buildings, massive canopy included are still there.

Cheers

Dave
My N Gauge Quarry Layout - Trecarreg viewtopic.php?t=14555

Money Talks.....It mostly says "Goodbye!"

Stumpy

Postby Stumpy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:55 pm

That's interesting Dave, cheers!

Just a little update folks, haven't been in the loft an awful lot the last few weeks, had other things to do (making hay while the sun shines and all that!) but i spent a couple of evenings sorting out the platform surfaces because i wasn't really happy with the Black card just stuck on the top!

So, i peeled it off,

Sanded the remains of the glue off,

Filled the holes with model filler,

Then i painted them a base grey colour (emulsion tester pot from B & Q!) then let that dry and lightly rubbed a black pastel stick over the surface and then lightened it a bit with a Grey pastel stick until i was happy with the tone, hoovered the excess off with a brush attachment, this is the end result,

I think it looks a bit better than the Black card stuck to the surface did, i like neatness to a certain extent but i think it looked too clean!! Any comments or thoughts welcome.
I found a Pullman Brake with lights at last! Been trying to track one down for Months to go with the rest of my Pullmans with lights! I knew Hornby produced one but didn't realise how scarce they have become!

Also, i know it's a bit later than the era i'm modelling but i couldn't resist!! Sorry!!!!! :lol: .

Anyway, i've still got to refit the canopies which have all been painted Green and some finishing touches to the arches, finish the retaining wall, then some platform furniture, so lots to do still, thanks for looking, see ya soon folks! :wink: .

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:13 am

Thats a nice rake of pullmans :D

All with lights? I finally broke down and finished my N15 collection three from each of the two big eras... Maunsell Green and BR Green. I managed to get a Sir Blamor de Ganis along with the coaches from eBay, a Sir Lamiel from eBay, a Sir Kay from ehattons for 49 quid :shock: and a Sir Valence from a shop in Canada.... I also Got 7 Pullman coaches! Now I'm waiting for the Daffodil bar car and the next run of Devon Belle cars :D

I hope that when I finally get to build my layout it will be somewhere near as good as yours is :lol:
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.

sishades

Postby sishades » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:04 pm

The changes to the platform has worked well and combines well with the retaining wall. It appears to be more industrial in appearence and less like a model which is a diffucult effect to achieve. I like the way this layout is progressing and is very pleasing to the eye. I Look forward to seeing it develope.

Stumpy

Postby Stumpy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:56 pm

Hey, thanks for your kind comments! I know progress is really slow but we've had a holiday, BBQ's to attend :lol: , other things to do around the house/garden etc :roll: , summink to do with the time of year i reckon!! The loft is never far from my mind though, i'm always thinking of ways to go about things, i'm just waiting for a brainwave about what to do with the retaining wall (stone piers etc) ! I got a Sir Blamor de Ganis too! :D , i'm sure your layout will be smashing, it's whatever you make it Redline! Thanks ever so much for your kind comment! :oops: . I expect my foam underlay will be dust by the time i get around to the finishing stages! :lol: .
Thank You sishades! I think it helps everything blend better and it's a bit more pleasing to the eye, i'm quite pleased with how the platform turned out, messy job though! Got plastered in charcoal! Another reason i found for rubbing the pastel sticks very gently along the platform is that they don't half wear down quickly and it won't be cheap if you've got alot of platform surface to cover! I probably was a bit too heavy with them as it does create alot of excess dust and most of that could be worked into the surface with
a dry brush as you go along to save wear and tear on the sticks but i did the whole length of each platform before i thought about brushing it in, i came down from the loft looking like a coal miner!! Still, it had the desired effect! :lol: , cheers! :wink: .

Stumpy

Postby Stumpy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:51 pm

Wotcha folks!

I finally decided what to do about the retaining wall after loads of thought about Kye's idea which i thought was great as it was roughly what i was thinking about, but his was better! Anyway, i did something completely different! It still took some time and patience but i think it looks ok, i cut loads of strips of Metcalfe stone sheet in gradually narrowing widths (Each of them being one course narrower than the next and it turned out like this, (Must sort out those floating arches!! :oops: ),

then i added some narrow strips of card on top to maybe represent some sort of stone ledge for the canopys to sit on,

i decided to do away with the canopy legs on this side, (After all that messing about to make sure they fitted in between the arches!! :roll: ) i used to be indecisive, but i'm not so sure now!
The station still needs a bit more detail i think but i've added lamps, seats and some signs, i also decided to add a bit of a concourse at the building end, i cut up a Hornby platform section to fit and used model filler at the joins, painted it and used pastel sticks to match the rest (As described on an earlier posting),

the clock and lamps above the doors are Hornby items found in the scrap box! The black railings are offcuts of those railings you get with the Hornby incline piers that clip on the sides, the station signs are actually from a 50's/60's BR (Southern Region) pack and not proper 1930's/40's ones but hey ho! They're green, he! He! You'll probably see lots of different shades of green on this layout! :lol: , anyway, i was scratching my head and wondering how to go about securing the canopy legs all in the same position to stop them splaying out while still being able to remove and replace them easily for track cleaning purposes etc as i had removed the little pegs off the ends and filled in the holes on the platform sections, i found some florists wire really cheap while out with the Missus looking round a dried flower shop!

Excellent stuff which i think could be put to a myriad of uses, it stays in whatever shape you bend it to and doesn't snap easily, anyway, here's one use for it, i drilled out the ends of the canopy legs with the appropriate sized bit using a pin vice,

cut a bit of said wire off and stuck it in the end (Nice tight fit if you use the right drill bit),

i worked out where the canopy legs should all be in a straight(ish) line, marked them out then drilled the platform and stuck 'em in,

then i did the same sort of thing with the ready made platform gas lamps,

i've also decided to add a parcels/goods platform utilising more Hornby platform bits and cutting a Hornby building in half, not finished yet obviously, when the roof goes on it'll only leave the top row of windows visible,

A Great Western Interloper!!

Anyway, that's all for now folks, more when i get around to it, thanks for looking (If you have! :lol: ) as usual, any comments or ideas, good or bad, most welcome! Happy modelling! :wink:.

sishades

Postby sishades » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:58 pm

I dismissed Hornby's canopies as being too toy like for my layout but you have really made them look good. Time for a rethink methinks.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:46 pm

I love what you done with the canopy! appart from that single canopy on the bay platform... its stands out and looks toy like, either needs some weathering to dull it down or a different canopy type... doesn't look right to me. But the main station is great.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”