Stumpy's loft.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Stumpy

Stumpy's loft.

Postby Stumpy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:27 pm

Hi, just thought i'd give a quick run down on my "OO" loft layout, got a long way to go yet and as you're all probably aware it takes time! It's basically an 8ft x 9ft tailchaser with an operating well in the middle and i've recently added a high level terminus and a storage yard area but i don't know wether it will eventually be a hidden one or not yet, i'm making things up as i go along really! The framework is 2" x 1" timber secured to the walls and upright beams with 2" x 2" legs for support where neccesary and 9mm plywood sheets glued and screwed on the top, it's 2ft 6" wide all the way around.
I then primed and painted the surface brown as a base colour for the eventual scenic work, i had a bit of an issue with the Hornby electric turntable whereas on the surface some of my larger loco's like "United States Lines" had a bit of bother 'climbing' up onto it with the wheels lifting off as it did! I sorted it by drawing round the t/table, cutting out with a jig saw then mounting another piece of square ply bigger than the hole underneath, and plopping the t/table into it which has worked out perfect! Phew! The 9mm drop in height was just right to make the entrance/exit roads nice and level.
I've laid about 70% of the track and done a fair bit of wiring but still more to do, i'm using 2 H&M 2000 controllers wired up to a control panel utilising the 'cab control' technique with lots of sections of track isolated from each other and being able to switch between controllers for each section etc. I know what you're thinking but i actually DO enjoy wiring and soldering! Mad innit?
The eventual idea of the layout is to run BR blue/sectorisation era with plenty of steam specials! I feel drawn heavily towards Sothern Railway/Region and GWR/Western Region although i find LNER quite fascinating also! Those A4's are lovely looking machines i think! Anyway, here's some phot's of it so far, i'm into scratchbuilding alot using materials like plywood, hardboard, card, paper, anything i can get my hands on cheaply or for nothing really! Will keep you updated but progress may be slow!

Last edited by Stumpy on Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
"A nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat! Know what i mean!? Eh? Eh?"

Sprintex

Re: Stumpy's loft.

Postby Sprintex » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:55 pm

Err, it's best to hit the 'return' button between picture links or it ends up across the page :wink:

Stumpy wrote:Image

Looks like an excellent start made there, plenty of interesting features :D

Paul
Last edited by Sprintex on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Taw Valley

Postby Taw Valley » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:57 pm

not trying to sound nasty or anything , but i would love to read it but i dont want to go from side to side ,,,,so could you edit it and press enter after each pic please

like this

Code: Select all

[img]www.what ever my photo..co.uk[img]
[/img]www.another of my photos .co.uk[/img]
[img]www. my last photo .com[/img]

but a quick look at the photos make it look lovly so far

beerandpies

Postby beerandpies » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:04 pm

Love that terminus... I wish I had room for one.... Or at least had actually planned better so I could fit one in anyway!
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:05 pm

on these 2 you didn't get the [img] tags quite right

nice shots, looks like a good space to have fun in

Stumpy

Postby Stumpy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:37 am

[quote="Sprintex"]Err, it's best to hit the 'return' button between picture links or it ends up across the page :wink:

D'oh!! Thanks for the tip! :oops: .

Stumpy

Postby Stumpy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:58 am

Taw Valley wrote:not trying to sound nasty or anything , but i would love to read it but i dont want to go from side to side ,,,,so could you edit it and press enter after each pic please

like this

Code: Select all

[img]www.what ever my photo..co.uk[img]
[/img]www.another of my photos .co.uk[/img]
[img]www. my last photo .com[/img]

but a quick look at the photos make it look lovly so far

No worries! Any comments, criticism or advice is most welcome! :wink: , especially on the way i operate my PC! :lol: .
I thought it was normal to read from side to side!? :shock: .

Stumpy

Postby Stumpy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:16 am

beerandpies wrote:Love that terminus... I wish I had room for one.... Or at least had actually planned better so I could fit one in anyway!

I added it as an afterthought really, the longer of the two platforms will take a loco and 5 coaches or shortened HST formations which will be six car lengths eg: 43-1st class-Buffet-Open 2nd-Open 2nd-43, i never plan anything! I've got to alter the control panel now to include the terminus! :roll: .

Stumpy

Postby Stumpy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:35 am

OOPS! I seem to have inserted all the text twice somehow! Amongst other bodge ups! :lol: Thanks for all your comments guys anyway, next time i post something i'll try and take more notice of what i'm doing! :oops: .

Taw Valley

Postby Taw Valley » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:23 pm

please go back and sort out your first post .

Raider

Postby Raider » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:50 pm

1st post sorted

Taw Valley

Postby Taw Valley » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:11 pm

thanks raider .

now after reading whats said and looking at the photos , i cant wait to see the end result as this looks fantastic so far .

Stumpy

Postby Stumpy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:32 am

Thank You for your kind comments Taw Valley, the thing i hope to achieve in the end is for different parts of the layout to have their own sort of atmosphere if you know what i mean, some bits of the layout will be hidden and some won't, i know it may look a little messy at the moment but i am brimming with ideas and i have a vision of what i would like to achieve but i don't how to explain it really! We'll just see how things develop! Will post more as things progress.
Thank You Raider! I'm learning! Slowly! :wink: .

Stumpy

Postby Stumpy » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:47 pm

Hi!

Just thought i'd give you an update if your interested! Done a few more brick piers for the retaining wall below the terminus, lots of card cutting, scoring, bending and glueing of brick paper! I've put in the supporting walls for the two tunnels (old bits of laminate flooring from downstairs) oops! You ok dear!? Mind the holes in the floor! Progress is slow but as i said i am sort of making it up as i go along really and working to a very vague plan! So there's lots of standing there staring at it and thinking going on! Anyway, here's some more phot's, any comments welcome, good or bad! :D .

Evidence of work actually taking place!

I've got to where the platform canopies are going to be so i may have to cut the canopies around the rest of the piers.

Supporting walls and tunnel mouths.

I've decided the control panel is much bigger than it needs to be plus i've got to alter it now to take into account the terminus and the storage roads, lesson learn't there! :? . So, when i've completely finished track laying i'm gonna build another using this.

Got this at the boot fair this morning, twenty quid knocked down from £25! Runs lovely!

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:06 pm

Nice loco you got yourself there, and for £20! I bet it is worth a fortune, because Hornby hasnt had that packing style or been Hornby Railways for about 30 years I think?

The box looks nice too, are you going to mount controllers in that? And open it up to control your trains, then lock it shut when you dont want people playing! Just a quick question, why two HM2000 when you could have added a LH and RH to one HM2000? Is it because you get more power using two separate controllers?

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”