My 6x4 layout, Sumware

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
kinning

Re: My 6x4 layout, Sumware

Postby kinning » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:15 pm

I like the night time pics! keep up the good work

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:39 pm

Not seen this thread before, and previous comments from other members are echoed.

In particular it is clear that the low-level, track height photos really help to let the character shine forth.

Gundogtilly

Postby Gundogtilly » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:22 am

Wonderful layout, I'm taking inspiration from it to start my first one.
Can I start by asking what you have put under the track as I have a good solid baseboard but need something for the rails to sit on, these plenty of personal options on the net just wondered what you view is ?

GeoFF03

Postby GeoFF03 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:23 am

Wow, this has been dragged from the depths, I've not even looked at it for quite some time.

Gundogtilly, when I built the layout I used Hornbys foam underlay, as I was very new to this branch of modelling. If I was building it now, I'd use cork for the track bed, with conventional ballast (more realistic). I've read that the foam can deteriorate over time, though mine still seems to be OK after about 10 years, but it has resulted in some un-even sections of track.

Here's a couple of more recent photos.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:08 pm

Very Nice, just shows what can be achieved in the old 6 x 4.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Gundogtilly

Postby Gundogtilly » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:41 pm

Thank you for your reply, I think that the cork option is the one for me to go for.
I am very new to this hobby, and having read pages and pages on the net, it seems to be getting more confusing.
My track bed is approx: 12ft by 8ft, I am using your layout in principle but enlarging the scale.
Thank you for your time.

Jbellew

Postby Jbellew » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:26 am

Hi Geoff
Thank you for such inspiration that your layout provides showing what can be achieved on a 6x4 layout as I begin to tackle my first layout I look to copy your design and hope it turns out half as good as yours, my first question I have in relation to your track plan as Hornby current stock have issues with firs radius curves can you substitute the first for second curves and use third radius on curves on the middle track with fourth radius on the outside loop would this still fit on a 6x4 baseboard layout

Regards
John

GeoFF03

Postby GeoFF03 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:10 am

I very much doubt that the use of 4th radius curves is possible with my existing track plan and base board size, the length in particular. As you can see from the track plan on the first page of this blog, the third radius curves are very close to the edges of the board. Using 4th radius would mean shortening the straights which would greatly alter the layout,

Jbellew

Postby Jbellew » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:15 am

GeoFF03 wrote:I very much doubt that the use of 4th radius curves is possible with my existing track plan and base board size, the length in particular. As you can see from the track plan on the first page of this blog, the third radius curves are very close to the edges of the board. Using 4th radius would mean shortening the straights which would greatly alter the layout,

Thank you for your knowledge

Pierluk

Postby Pierluk » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:49 pm

What a wonderful layout! Can I steal your track plan ? :mrgreen:

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”