My 6x4 layout, Sumware

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
GeoFF03

My 6x4 layout, Sumware

Postby GeoFF03 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:48 pm

Here are a couple of shots of the layout I've been working on for about 18 months. It's a 6 x 4 freelance BR in 00 set about 1956. This is my first proper set-up. My previous one was a Tri-ang train set when I was about 5 or 6 (still have some items that have survived since then!). Its still a work in progress, any feed back would be appreciated.

Track plan

The rest of the detail images will be found here, hopefully.

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i313/ukgeoff/Model%20trains/
Last edited by GeoFF03 on Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

edwardholmes91

Re: My layout, Sumware

Postby edwardholmes91 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:24 am

Wow, that brilliant for 18 months of work! I have been working on my layout for nearly a year now, and it looks nothing like that, I have only done one 2 foot section of ballast on one of the loops of track! And all buildings are in boxs at the moment! Is your laout based on the hornby trakmat, but modified to inlcude a third loop?

Paddy Mac Namara

Postby Paddy Mac Namara » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:23 am

welcome to the forum.

you certainly have plenty of operational interest in your layout, try some photos in close-up they can give a better feel for the atmostphere of layout.

paddy

shaun2000

Postby shaun2000 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:59 pm

well done it looks great .

sanctuary

Postby sanctuary » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:35 pm

Great work and I'm impressed how you have thought it all out, like the way your roads link together logically with the use of level crossings and track/road crossings, well done.

As some one previously posted you need to land your helicopter and take a walk around your layout at ground level taking pictures of all the different views, this is best done with out using the cameras flash, so make sure you hold it very still when taking the pictures or they will look blurred. Dress the shots with a loco or two, you never know if they are good pictures I'd like to use them in the next NRM virtual exhibition. If thats ok then get snapping and posting your pictures :lol: :lol:
Tight Lines Aidan

Linka to Pawford Layout

GeoFF03

Postby GeoFF03 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:29 am

Is your laout based on the hornby trakmat, but modified to inlcude a third loop?

Yes, it was inspired by the track mat but modified to an almost mirror image.

try some photos in close-up they can give a better feel for the atmostphere of layout.

There is some closer detail and low angle shots in the album link I posted (unless its not accessible) plus a few videos, though they aren't great quality. Work on the lay-out has slowed down lately, due to back problems. I hope to add a scenic street scene to the right-hand end, to give the railway some purpose and to enable the road vehicles to be spread out more (probably have too many for the time anyway). This will need to be detachable for access to the rear, due to limited space. Just need to decide how best to attach it.

Lewis Nash

Postby Lewis Nash » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:57 pm

do you use 1st raduis track on the inner circuit,if so what locos do you operate on it? :)
smashing layout by the way :wink:

lewis :)
NASHTON
website- http://nashton.webs.com/index.htm

ARPLEY STREET
http://arpleystreetmodelrailway.webs.com/
class 60 preservation group-http://www.c60pg.co.uk/
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]

sanctuary

Postby sanctuary » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:25 pm

Excellent picture, can I use it in a NRM Virtual exhibition ? a few more like that would be just what the Doctor ordered. :lol: :lol:
Tight Lines Aidan

Linka to Pawford Layout

GeoFF03

Postby GeoFF03 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:00 pm

do you use 1st raduis track on the inner circuit,if so what locos do you operate on it

Yes it is 1st radius (didn't know any better at the time :? ). I normally run small prairies (Bachmann) or small 0-6-0 tank or tender locos. The only time I run anything larger (5MT or 4MT tank) is if I'm retuning it to the shed in order to change over. While the 4MT tank will just about cope (I didn't fit all the extra details) the 5MT does struggle on the curve.

Excellent picture, can I use it in a NRM Virtual exhibition ?

If you feel its good enough, then I have no objection. There are more photos in my Photobucket album, link posted under the initial posting.
Last edited by GeoFF03 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sanctuary

Postby sanctuary » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:29 pm

Thanks for the link but I can't use pictures that are not directly posted on the NRM personal layout section. I'm part way through editing the next Virtual exhibition so your picture will appear in the one after that number 15, in fact you'll be picture number 1 :lol: :lol: thanks again.
Tight Lines Aidan

Linka to Pawford Layout

GeoFF03

Postby GeoFF03 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:48 pm

sanctuary wrote:Thanks for the link but I can't use pictures that are not directly posted on the NRM personal layout section. I'm part way through editing the next Virtual exhibition so your picture will appear in the one after that number 15, in fact you'll be picture number 1 :lol: :lol: thanks again.

If there's any you feel you could use, just let me know and I'll post them on the forum.

GeoFF03

Postby GeoFF03 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:35 am

Here is a selection of the stock running on my lay-out, mostly Bachmann.

Dinmore Manor

2251 class Collet goods

45XX Prairie

5700 Pannier

14XX Auto tank

A1X Terrier

There are more, I just don't have photos yet.

d74

Postby d74 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:49 am

Those are some fantastic pictures, the Dinmor Manor one especially. Getting down at ground level like that and using natural light always makes a good model railway look realistic.

sanctuary

Postby sanctuary » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:22 am

Fantastic pictures that really show the hard work and skill that you have put into your layout, thank you I've certainly taken a few more to use in the next NRM VE, although I'll have to photoshop out the giant flame thrower etc in some of the backgrounds :lol: :lol: :lol: this is were a light blue bed sheet comes in handy :lol:
Tight Lines Aidan

Linka to Pawford Layout

kingsnorton

Postby kingsnorton » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:49 am

Lovely Geoff looks like a layout that you could spend many happy hours operating trains.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”