Wenchford Railway- layout to go, open to offers on items

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Pedanticmongrel

Re: The Wenchford Railway

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:31 pm

guitardave_1 wrote:
Pedanticmongrel wrote:The GWR cathedral class is the King class, they changed the name of the class because the first one went to the USA and it had to carry an even grander name than a cathedral, so they named it after a monarch, strangly tho, I'm sure the most famous british king in history didn't have a loco named after him, (Henry VIII).

I was curious about this as I was sure the class worked through all the Kings, so a quick trip to Wikipedia says that 6013 was King Henry VIII. There is full info about the loco, so I assume it definitely ran under this name.

Ahh ok, seems I missed this little nugget, the GWR didn't however run through all the kings because there is no King Arthur? and I'm sure there have been more than 30 Kings of England? and there were only 30 60xx Kings.
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:33 pm

Pedanticmongrel wrote:
guitardave_1 wrote:
Pedanticmongrel wrote:The GWR cathedral class is the King class, they changed the name of the class because the first one went to the USA and it had to carry an even grander name than a cathedral, so they named it after a monarch, strangly tho, I'm sure the most famous british king in history didn't have a loco named after him, (Henry VIII).

I was curious about this as I was sure the class worked through all the Kings, so a quick trip to Wikipedia says that 6013 was King Henry VIII. There is full info about the loco, so I assume it definitely ran under this name.

Ahh ok, seems I missed this little nugget, the GWR didn't however run through all the kings because there is no King Arthur? and I'm sure there have been more than 30 Kings of England? and there were only 30 60xx Kings.

There was indeed no King Arthur loco, and arguably no such person in the first place, but that's another matter entirely, and one which I know little about!!

AFAIK, the Kings were named starting with the most recent and working backwards until the locos ran out, and so the earliest Kings of England didn't get a loco named after them.

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:51 pm

That seems to make sense, and I'm sure the GWR didnt want much to do with the SR, and naming an engine King Arthur would have been a bit odd as there was an entire class (including a loco) named after him, which were also built first.

and going back to the Cathedral Class.... See here :wink: Exeter Cathedral
If it had been proposed as a 4-6-2 then changed to a 4-6-0 which became the King Class
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:24 pm

guitardave_1 wrote:There was indeed no King Arthur loco, and arguably no such person in the first place, but that's another matter entirely, and one which I know little about!!

There was a person in fifth century Britain known as the Dux Britannicus. He really did exist, but it is by his later name that he is better known: he became 'King Arthur'. He was a war leader, and may have united certain parts of Britain in battle (though against whom I'm not sure), but there any factual information stops. The stories and legends (and nomenclature) surrounding him are a much later (ie mediaeval) affectation. To my knowledge, though, there is no locomotive called 'Dux Britannicus'. Maybe someday I'll rename a King Arthur!

G

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:54 pm

yeah all i knew is i remember being told in a history lesson at school that King Henry VII's son Arthur was destined to become King Arthur II until he died tragically young.

sishades

Postby sishades » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:01 pm

King Arthur is a myth and NEVER existed. As someone who knows quite a bit about British history I can assure you this to be true. He was invented in the later part of the first millenium as a folk hero and was prominent in Welsh poetry. Thats it.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:23 pm

sishades wrote:King Arthur is a myth and NEVER existed. As someone who knows quite a bit about British history I can assure you this to be true. He was invented in the later part of the first millenium as a folk hero and was prominent in Welsh poetry. Thats it.

Hmm. I'm not making any defence for Arthur, Merlin, Lancelot, Round Tables or anything else, but I remember as an undergraduate one of my lecturers referring to the Dux circa 496 - 542 AD, and stating that they may have inspired a whole load of later embellishment (such as the Welsh poetry). The lecturer wasn't a historian - he was an expert on Early English and, later, Chaucer; if I run into him this week I'll maybe ask what it was precisely that he had in mind. So, as I say, I'm not advocating the existence of the 'once and future king', I'm just wondering who it was that inspired the legends, however inaccurate, that later developed.

Gavin

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:37 pm

real or not, at least King Arthur had the potential to be real unlike say Jesus. :lol:

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:38 pm

There is substancial proof that Jesus existed, whether he was the Son of God, is less clear, and anyway all that lot is entirely irrelevant.

How is the layout coming along? Been up to much?
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:11 pm

Yesterday I went to visit Dan, bringing most of my loco fleet with me to run on Wenchford. Below are some photos we took. There will be a video on its way in due course.

"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

allesclar

Postby allesclar » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:00 am

some really nice photos there :)
My N gauge 90's Era layout - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18182

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:22 pm

Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:04 pm

great Pics and video!

I hope to meet up with mr Wenchford soon, been a while! (Damn that diabetes)

Great stuff.

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:10 am

mattmay05 wrote:great Pics and video!

I hope to meet up with mr Wenchford soon, been a while! (Damn that diabetes)

Great stuff.

MR WENCHFORD??!! LOL!!

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:31 pm

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”