Wenchford Railway- layout to go, open to offers on items

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Pedanticmongrel

Re: The Wenchford Railway

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:51 am

After 2 weeks away in Wales i've come home and within 24 hours of my return the Crotchley area has been ballasted and the scenery has been started, the tunnel mouth area is more or less complete, the signal box in the bottom photo was borrowed from hosemouth to show what it will look like when Crotchley box (of same design) is finished, unfortunatley the metcalfe kit Crotchley box is being built from had parts missing, but i have emailed them and they are posting out the bits i need. for the sake of comparison, the top photo is of the crotchley tunnel mouths when they were first put in and the below picture is how it looks as of this morning.

The eventual intention with Crotchley is to put Skaledale East station buildings and signal box in, the ones based on Dent on the S&C, i assure you i'm not going midland on you, but i remember Dent from my childhood and one time making the walk from the station to the village (took hours!!!) Also I recently learnt that my dad intended on buying the station when BR put it up for auction, but was not able to raise the money in time, so i intend to beat him to getting a "Dent " station! :D
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:52 pm

looking good! And looking forward to help ballast in a few days time!!

Geo6606

Postby Geo6606 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:41 am

best mke sure its done before xmas as Hornby may stop making them

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:09 am

Looking good...
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:13 pm

just a quick update, the website has been updated today, more updates are due (to the loco page).

new etched brass number/name plates have been ordered for the following locos

4087 Cardigan Castle
35028 Clan Line

and the following are changing number/name when their new plates arrive

61xx 6167 will become 41xx 4141
60xx 6007 King William III will become 60xx 6024 King Edward I

Also a new "Cambrian Coast Express" headboard has arrived and been fitted to 76079, (pics on website) and another headboard is on order, "The Red Dragon", probably for use on 6024 (6007)

On top of all this 2 new items that are on order for the Wenchford railway have been announced as imminent in a news letter i recieved from Hornby today,
one being a (Shark) ballast brake Van in 1950's Black and the other being NRM Southern T9 4-4-0 No 120 (pictured below), I excitedly await these new items.

Also Severn Valley Steam Gala this weekend, fri-sat-sun with intense service, trains running all day and night, I hope to see you steam fans there!!!

And one final note, if you have a website for your layout and wish to have a link from mine to it, leave a reply to this thread and i will check it out, (note i will only link someone else's model railway site if my site is linked in return) (Y)

olliereading1123

Postby olliereading1123 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:43 pm

Pedanticmongrel wrote:Also Severn Valley Steam Gala this weekend, fri-sat-sun with intense service, trains running all day and night, I hope to see you steam fans there!!!

i'm going on the saturday, may see you
Bespoke layout construction and design, http://thefiddleyard.webs.com/

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:43 am

After having been to the SVR Gala, I'm in a GWR mood, and decided to get when I can afford it a BR Black 4575 to go with my autocoach to make the autotrain they had there at the SVR. I've had a 78xx manor put aside for me at a model shop which i will get when I'm paid next in around a weeks time, it' 7825 "Lechlade Manor" in BR Green with lining and the late crest on the tender, but here's my dilemma, I'm gonna get new name and number plates for it in brass from guilplates, but I don't know which Manor to have it as, can someone help me decide and give reasons why i should go for that choice, i've narrowed it down to the following.

7812 'Earlstoke Manor'
7819 'Hinton Manor'
7821 'Ditcheat Manor'
7822 'Foxcote Manor'
7823 'Hook Norton Manor'
7825 'Lechlade Manor'

Or should I go for this fictional example numbered one on from the last manor to be built and named after a large (and possibly famous) manor house near me just off GWR territory.

7830 'Waddesdon Manor'

Also I'm thinking of getting a Bachmann Hall, Hattons have the BR Black one on bargain atm, so it's tempting, I would get plates to make it 4965 'Rood Ashton Hall' it's my favorite hall, but I don't know if Bachmann will ever produce it with the low tender in GWR green, so I'm ruling it out, I now undecided at all about which name for it to take, does anyone know if 4936 'Kinlet Hall' or 4953 'Pitchford Hall' ever appeared in Lined BR black with the early crest and wether it's feasable to have red backed plates on either example?

Geo6606

Postby Geo6606 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:51 am

Go for Waddesdon Manor, it will be a nice touch to your layout

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:31 pm

Foxcote!! :D :D

My personal favourite. But since your layout is kinda big (and mainline based), I would go for Bradley Manor, since I think its been mainline running in the past. And sometimes when it does it has run with a GWR 4000 gallon tender (the kind that normally is found behind the hall/modified hall), which could be an interesting modelling idea. I had one and renamed it Erlestoke Manor, but I eventually swapped bodies with an old Mainline one to make my Cookham Manor, which I've since sold.
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:05 pm

redline41190 wrote:Foxcote!! :D :D

My personal favourite. But since your layout is kinda big (and mainline based), I would go for Bradley Manor, since I think its been mainline running in the past. And sometimes when it does it has run with a GWR 4000 gallon tender (the kind that normally is found behind the hall/modified hall), which could be an interesting modelling idea. I had one and renamed it Erlestoke Manor, but I eventually swapped bodies with an old Mainline one to make my Cookham Manor, which I've since sold.

I'm not too fond on Bradley Manor, I feel it has taken over from Hinton Manor which was the "mainline" manor this is why i disregarded Bradley Manor in the first place.

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:19 pm

I think that you should go for the unique-ness of 'Waddesdon Manor', for one thing, I feel all layouts should have at least one engine or item of rolling stock that no one else would have, or is very rare at least.

The second reason you should go for it is that it annoys the perfectionists and rivet counters. :wink:
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

redline41190

Postby redline41190 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:26 pm

I now agree with Peter

the uniqueness of having a locomotive which "could have been" (like the fabled GWR Cathedral class), makes it all the more central to your layout. For instance, I'm in the middle of figuring out how to swap nameplates on my N15 to make it into 30795 'Sir Dinadan', but 'Sir Dinadan' was scrapped... So I'm making a history up of how it came to be preserved on my railway. So if you make 'Waddeson Manor' then you can give it a history on how it came to be on your railway, and when/how/where it was built... etc
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:18 am

redline41190 wrote:I now agree with Peter

the uniqueness of having a locomotive which "could have been" (like the fabled GWR Cathedral class), makes it all the more central to your layout. For instance, I'm in the middle of figuring out how to swap nameplates on my N15 to make it into 30795 'Sir Dinadan', but 'Sir Dinadan' was scrapped... So I'm making a history up of how it came to be preserved on my railway. So if you make 'Waddeson Manor' then you can give it a history on how it came to be on your railway, and when/how/where it was built... etc

I'm liking the views here, i still have a week to decide before i get paid and can order the plates, i'd like to hear any other points people may have and also the GWR cathedral class is the King class, they changed the name of the class because the first one went to the USA and it had to carry an even grander name than a cathedral, so they named it after a monarch, strangly tho, I'm sure the most famous british king in history didn't have a loco named after him, (Henry VIII).

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:38 pm

I have ordered the plates for the Manor, i was torn between 2 of the choices and made the decision based on price, I will not reveal the name until the manor arrives and has had it's plates fitted! Also I have ordered another loco along with plates for it, a Bachmann BR Black 4575 which i have decided will be 5526. i hope to use it in conjunction with my autocoach to create scenes such as this:

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:07 pm

Pedanticmongrel wrote:The GWR cathedral class is the King class, they changed the name of the class because the first one went to the USA and it had to carry an even grander name than a cathedral, so they named it after a monarch, strangly tho, I'm sure the most famous british king in history didn't have a loco named after him, (Henry VIII).

I was curious about this as I was sure the class worked through all the Kings, so a quick trip to Wikipedia says that 6013 was King Henry VIII. There is full info about the loco, so I assume it definitely ran under this name.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”