Wenchford Railway- layout to go, open to offers on items

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Pedanticmongrel

Re: Wenchford

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:11 pm

Time for an update I think, and will all these complains going through this thread I thought I may aswell find something work to justify an update, well there has been some, not loads but some. Over at Wenchford, the station platform was deemed too short, and so the station is closing in favour of a new one currently under construction, the platform and board extention to take it is done and can be seen below. Thebuildings to on it however have not been purchased or even decided as yet.
The name for the main station has been decided and name boards have been made yet not put up yet, it's called "Hosemouth", and the station that will be on the extention that should commence construction in a month is still under debate I have a hunch tho that I will stick to the suggestion of "Crotchley". Anyways I have some more recent photos of the line in action for you people to feast your eyes on.
First up we have the mainline control panel, note in top corner is a screen for a miniature camera which at the time was showing movements into and out of the mainline loops at Wenchford.
In this view we have 35028 "Clan Line" waiting to head into Wenchford South Mainline tunnel, atop the tunnel the camera can be seen with all it's gear within an old hornby brakevan I have used this for "drivers eyes" shots and will eventually incorporate them into a video on here, if anyone knows of free dvd ripping software it will be greatly appreciated
here we see the end of a freight train in Wenchford South mainline tunnel and 6007 hauling "The Red Dragon" out of the tunnel into the loops at Wenchford.
And finally for today we have a visitor, 10xx County Class 1026 "County of Salop" (Shropshire) made a brief visit for the second time along with her owner (Thom) and was hauling branch trains after struggling on the mainline with a box van train, but made another mainline appearance before leaving at the head of a rake of MK I coaches, we see her here bursting out from Wenchford South branchline tunnel.
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:31 pm

Work on the extension to Crotchley has begun, today the ceremonial laying of the first length of track took place, here are some photos.
After a brief speech by the managing director of the Wenchford railway, 9F no 92220 "Evening Star" cut the tape and headed for crotchley.
expect more info on the extension progress as it continues.

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:30 pm

since the ceremony for the start of work, the extension has been built in record time, one mainline loop is complete and the other is not far off, but i have run out of track lengths and guess which day of the week is my local model shops midweek closing day? yeah you guessed it, thursday (tomorrow) so work has had to stop for now, here are some photos of the progress so far, looking in both directions from the loft hatch, note the test train flying round the loop.
After dusting down the old abacus i have worked out that the complete mainline is about 3.1 miles /5 km in scale length, thats 16,416feet in scale terms, or in real terms 216 feet.

Lewis Nash

Postby Lewis Nash » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:57 pm

look good,like the ceremonial sign! 8)
are you planing to build an actual baseboard or keep the system you already have?
either way great work so far. :D
NASHTON
website- http://nashton.webs.com/index.htm

ARPLEY STREET
http://arpleystreetmodelrailway.webs.com/
class 60 preservation group-http://www.c60pg.co.uk/
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:44 am

Lewis Nash wrote:look good,like the ceremonial sign! 8)
are you planing to build an actual baseboard or keep the system you already have?
either way great work so far. :D

I have used loftboards as my baseboard because they are cheap, i have put them on bracing timber about 2cm off the loft floor height to give me extra running space. :D

Pedanticmongrel

Re: The Wenchford Railway

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:35 pm

i went into a morning meeting to do with work and was driving home and noticed light on in my local model shop, it was closed but the guy saw me and was happy to sell me some more track, lucky timings for me then! So I've been busy, both mainlines are now laid round the new extension, and i have laid a 5 siding rolling stock storage yard, now just need a few more points to do the locomotive depot sidings, you can see the space where it will go in the fourth photo down below, here is the whole extension in photos.
First is the loop over in the far corner, i have built wood tunnels to allow the stored items in the loft to go back where they were and no longer be in the way.
where the tunnel mouths are placed will be more tunnels stretching across over the storage sidings too to allow stuff to be still stored in the loft. you can see the sidings in the right of this photo.
here we see the double track mainine looping around in a four track formation at the back and storage sidings on the inside
here we have the rest of the extension, with the 4 tracks splitting at the top of the photo, 2 of them vier off to the left into a tunnel towards Wenchford and the other 2 across the picture down into Hosemouth station, the branchline runs along the bottom of the photo, and the stump which the loco depot will ajoin the rest of the railing is visible at the bottom of the photo, as you can see there is quite a bit of space in the middle of the triangle.

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:48 pm

I have just got back from a weekend in Wales and been working on my railway this afternoon, the locomotive depot is starting to take shape, i have some lines laid and one shed in place, another of the same style is on the way (ebay bargain). here's a photo so you can see progress.

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:06 pm

Today i have been finishing track laying and tidying up and starting on scenery work with the resources i have available because of running out of funds because of the huge amounts of work that have recently taken place. Anyways here are some pictures to show what my railway and my nans attic look like now!

This is what my loco depot looks like now all the track is laid, just needs ballast, paint, more detail etc, as does everywhere else. i have a second engine shed of the same type as the one there on the way to go alongside. I used the spare track from where i over ordered for storage lines not connected to the rest of the railway in the space between the branch and the depot.

I needed to put a small bridge in for the lamp to have somewhere to go, so i added a tunnel mouth seen as i had many spare single track ones.

This is Hosemouth station, and yard this area is pretty much unchanged lately.

Here is another couple of views of my new loco depot, all the not currently in use locos can be seen on the front 2 storage track which are as i said before not connected and use up the left over track.

This is the view you get if you stand in the loft hatch and look behind, the four tracks dissapear into tunnels under an new storage area, along with rolling stock storage sidings branching off into their own warren of tunnels.

Facing the other way from the loft hatch, you see the genesis of Crotchley station, all the plaforms are there now, just need to get some buildings etc, the far platform the king is running thru is drying when this pic was taken hence the glue you may spot.

Finally here is Wenchford, which like Hosemouth is much unchanged.

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:58 pm

Which N15 is that? I really want one, I've found a LSWR M7 on the tinternet and am halfway to getting it. Looking good by the way.
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:04 pm

PeterH wrote:Which N15 is that? I really want one, I've found a LSWR M7 on the tinternet and am halfway to getting it. Looking good by the way.

It is 751 Ettarre, I really wanted 777 Sir Lamiel, but they only do it in BR Green as no 30777 damn Hornby's oily hides! :lol: The M7 however is a bit of a dissapointment, will only comfortably manage 2 small coaches and nowhere to add weight :(

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:08 pm

The cheapest I've seen Etarre is at Rails of Sheffield for £72. The M7 is a bad hauler 'ey? One solution (inspired from the Sidmouth Branch), get another one and double head!
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:11 pm

PeterH wrote:The cheapest I've seen Etarre is at Rails of Sheffield for £72. The M7 is a bad hauler 'ey? One solution (inspired from the Sidmouth Branch), get another one and double head!

mine was an ebay bargain, £68 i believe it was. as for the M7 yeah could get another but the only way i could justify spending over £60 on a RTR tank engine was getting a rare one and this M7 is rare, i think i'll use it on light duties and leave the real work to the Q1's i have, mind you when the T9 comes out watch out for a possible double header of Dougald Drummond locos then! (M7 + T9)

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:16 pm

Here too! Although I still need more Maunsells! And more Colletts, replace all my teaks...
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:43 pm

PeterH wrote:Here too! Although I still need more Maunsells! And more Colletts, replace all my teaks...

why not get bullieds? they're good and fairly cheap now aswell, i got a rake of 7 of them recenly from various sources for under £85 works out at just over £12 per coach

PeterH

Postby PeterH » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:30 pm

Not in SR livery.
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”