1950s and 1960s Triang Railways.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
William Medland

Re: 1950s and 1960s Triang Railways.

Postby William Medland » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:08 am

Nice to see others collecting Triang, great to see someone else using the series 3 track too.

Mine is a mixture of Standard grey track, Series 3 and Super 4 track.

I have just purchased the smoke oil for my 3F loco, thats me delighted :D

Cheers, Bill.
I do firmly believe in general, that to be credible railway modellers, we need to at least understand the working
principles of the real life railway, even if we are unable to put them into practice in a model form.

RuffnutThorston

Postby RuffnutThorston » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:10 pm

Nice to see another R.251 Smoking!

Is that the original "Seuthe" type (Brass "chimney" with element inside) from 1961-1963, or Tri-ang's own "Synchro-smoke" (Metal box with cartridge element, and gear driven plunger) from 1964-1970s...?

The smoke looks like it is from the Seuthe type...

Smoke Oil...one type of package for R.521...

SMOKE-OIL-1-FOR-WEB-1.jpg
Smoke Oil...R.521....
SMOKE-OIL-1-FOR-WEB-1.jpg (114.26 KiB) Viewed 1546 times

The One Book everyone who runs Tri-ang Railways stock should have....
The First Ten Years - published in 1962. This has a good section on maintainence!

TRIANG-Rlys-10-YEARS-BOOK-FOR WEB 1.jpg
The One Book everyone who runs Tri-ang Railways stock should have....
TRIANG-Rlys-10-YEARS-BOOK-FOR WEB 1.jpg (564.73 KiB) Viewed 1546 times

This book has a good section listing with illustrations most rolling stock and track systems made by Tri-ang Railways and Tri-ang Hornby up to C1968...

TH-BOOK-OF-TRAINS-1960s-FOR.jpg
Tri-ang Hornby Book Of Trains...
TH-BOOK-OF-TRAINS-1960s-FOR.jpg (326.01 KiB) Viewed 1546 times

So much for not collecting TC stock...as I said in an earlier post! ;)

Triang-TC-Sereies-FOR WEB 2.jpg
So much for not collecting TC stock...
Triang-TC-Sereies-FOR WEB 2.jpg (443.89 KiB) Viewed 1546 times

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:27 pm

I'm just about to start a sort of layout with Triang standard track, because I sold my last layout months ago and I've been wanting something to run my older stock on and I've always wanted a vintage triang trainset layout. I have a synchrosmoke (not seuth) 3f tender loco, a GER liveried B12, and sdjr liveried 3f tender loco, a BR B12, an NE B12 and a green class 08 (the laster D3035 as opposed to 13005). I have some coaches too. But I'm waiting on a 1957 RAX set contents to show up, with some extra track as well. I want to exhibit it next easter as a display layout (though I don't have enough room for a proper display layout, or the funds to make one).

I'm not very good at keeping projects going but as I will have a daughter soon its something I kinda wanna keep up so I can share it with her when she gets a bit older, and also its something to do to keep me sane :P So I may have to make a thread to post about it.

I use plain tesco baby oil for my smoke generator as I cannot get anything else.

Alex.

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

RuffnutThorston

Postby RuffnutThorston » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:39 pm

"Proper" Smoke Oil is easy to get hold of, as Seuthe is still in business, and others are also making the stuff, including "scented" oil...Railway Scents as well! ;)

http://www.gaugemaster.com/seuthe.html

http://www.petersspares.com/megasteam.irc?cName=megasteam&pg=1

http://www.petersspares.com/?searchStr=smoke+oil

Hornby supplied Smoke Oil as R.521 in a white Sachet, and later on as R.8111 in a small plastic bottle...

For the ultimate in originallity....the Tri-ang stuff can be found for sale on the "net"....

Standard Track, that is the grey based track, comes in two different materials...earlier track is made from Cellulose Acetate, and tends to shrink, making the track a little unstable in gauge!

After C1956-1957, Standard track was made from Polystyrene Plastic, which is far better for use in a working layout. It is not easy to tell the difference unless you have the track to hand though!

Set RAX was the Black Princess Elizabeth (R.50) and Tender, with the two B.R. "Mainline" 9" Coaches in Crimson and Cream livery.....Composite and Brake 3rd/2nd. Standard Track Oval, and R.42 Speed Controller. (Set RA was the same, but with the R.41 Battery Box instead of the Speed Controller...)

RAX-SET-TR-SET-IN-BOX-For-W.jpg
RAX-SET-TR-SET-IN-BOX-For-W.jpg (25.37 KiB) Viewed 1528 times

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:28 pm

I've never been sure about ordering oils and stuff through the post as different postal services have different rules and I live in Ireland. I've read up quite a lot about Triang stuff and about the plastic problems (with track and the famed banana shaped coaches :P )

Someone bought me the RAX set off of Elaine's trains, minus box and maybe minus the controller, plus two extra coaches and outside oval but I need another uncoupler thing to be able to connect power to the outside oval so I will have to wait to get that, and save up somehow to get a board sorted to run the set on.

I've never bought smoke oil anywhere, but most of my Triang stuff is actually from eBay....of course it is, I didn't exist until 1992 haha :mrgreen:

Alex

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

DonB

Postby DonB » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:31 am

It is quite refreshing and nostalgic to see a nice simple set-up like this one. :D
Have you thought about posting it on RMWeb?! :lol: :lol:

Many years ago (I was probably around 8 or 9), a neighbour gave me his son's old Tri-ang layout.
It was a 6' x 3' sheet of plywood, with a double oval of track linked by a crossover. I may still have the photos of it somewhere...

There was some stock; two box-cars, a caboose, a track-cleaning car, two bogie bolsters and a strange looking flat wagon.
Several items were still in their boxes; TC diesel, two observation coaches and tail, complete Battlespace set (working!), a second caboose, and a Class 08 shunter.

Most of it went in a big stock clear-out in the late 1980s. I still have the 'strange looking flat wagon' and the two box-cars.
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

RuffnutThorston

Postby RuffnutThorston » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:26 pm

Funnily enough, I did post some of the "Tri-ang Locos On Shed" photos on RMWeb...on the "Realistic Models" thread as well!

They went down OK..... ;)

There is even a section for "older" stuff as well!

I am wondering about the "strange looking Flat car"...I want to see that! ;)

Most track and stuff comes up on the net every so often....

It is worth knowing that the Series 3 Track Power Connecting Clip also fits Standard Track....but NOT Super 4...but the Super 4 Power Connecting Clip can be used with Series 3 and Standard track...but NOT System 6....

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”