The Line To Honeywell

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Honeywell

Postby Honeywell » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:25 pm

Ah right.

My dad worked in the mortgage business for 25 years, he seems pretty keen on us buying.

If there's any questions on current legislation we have (he's been out of the game for 9 years now) I'll be sure to ask.

Cheers.

norrie430

Postby norrie430 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:30 pm

Not a problem any time

Honeywell

Postby Honeywell » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:01 pm

Apologies for below by the way, I'd had a long day at work, was tired and I'd had a couple.. Then sat on here looking through the forum and got fed up.

I shall avoid that in the future :roll:

Honeywell wrote:Sorry for not replying quicker.

I have been on, but I really don't know what to say about the situation.

If I could go to Australia it'd be nice, but as sad as it sounds I wouldn't want to leave my family that far behind.

We're half toying with buying a place, but right at this time we have no idea what we're gonna do or where we may bloody end up.

There's a nice depressing thought for a Friday night.

Sorry guys. I won't post when I'm tired next time...

Honeywell

Postby Honeywell » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:57 pm

Moving on to happier subjects, here is what I have that I can work on during the interim period.

First photo shows a Cooper Craft GWR Loco Coal wagon, a GWR 4 plank open wagon again by Cooper Craft, 6 Dapol GWR 12t vented van bodies and 6 Ratio 10ft wheelbase chassis kits to mount them on and to finish off a Bachmann RTR MOGO wagon and a Bachmann RTR 12t vented van...

Second photo shows my latest aquisition.. 3 Ratio 'Bogie Bolster A' wagon kits (and Lola)...

The Dapol van bodies are currently all the same running number, so 5 of those will require renumbering..

I'm yet to decide on couplings I'm going to use, but I think certain wagons will stay together in sets, so they may end up as scale 3 link couplings.

All wagons will be weathered and yes I'm mad.
Last edited by Honeywell on Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pete

Postby Pete » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:19 pm

Rich

Nice models. How are you intending to renumber your wagons, do you have a supplier in mind for the numbers?

I like a train with a good rack of similar wagons, I have a good set of steel prussian style coal trucks I run on my layout, they look great all coupled up.

If you go for the 3 link couplings on your block trains, what other couplings are you considering, any views on Kadee?

I could give your kitty a good home too :wink:

Keep the pics of your progress coming.

Pete

Honeywell

Postby Honeywell » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:27 pm

I think a decent length train of mixed good wagons has a far better look (and indeed sound) than a shiny uniform rake of coaches on a smallish layout.

On a large loop a long rake of coaches is great though, I can't deny that.

I'm currently not sure on what products to use for renumbering and coupling.

Not something I've looked into as yet. If anybody has any suggestions of cmpanies and products I shall be glad to hear of them.

And no you can't chuffin' have Lola.

Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:28 pm

I think a decent length train of mixed good wagons has a far better look (and indeed sound) than a shiny uniform rake of coaches on a smallish layout.

Rich

I just think there's something about a rack of similar wagons, I generally run very small mixed goods trains on my layout (3 or 4 wagons) but every now and then it's a treat to send 15 coal trucks up to the terminous (not sure what they'd do with them in reality? it certainly clogs things up :wink: ). And I love running my rack of thunderbox coaches and baggage van behind a class 56. Ahhhh small pleasures eh?

I hope this link works, it's about 37s long if you want to view it.

http://www.petesproject.co.uk/layout/video/Train01.wmv

I'm currently not sure on what products to use for renumbering and coupling.

No idea about renumbering, but I quite fancy Kadees, or possibly Fleischmann profi-couplings, but I'm not sure I can adapt some of my wagons to take the latter. I'd like to stick with something NEM compatible though.

Pete

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:33 pm

For couplings I use Kadee.. another (Australian) forum recommends #78s because they're very small and have a much smaller draft gear box than the traditional #5s. They come preassembled so you just screw or glue them on. Only one shank length though.
So far I've only used the #5s or the #18 series that slot straight into a NEM pocket

LisaP4 has links on her P4 made easy website that discuss more prototypical (or less obtrusive) couplings if you really don't like the American look. http://www.p4me.net/P4_Made_Easy/links.html#9

for decals I use HMRS transfers
which can be purchased online from Mainly Trains.

Really getting the hang of this BBCode :^)
Regards
Rob

Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:09 pm

Rob

Do you use any sort of automatic un-coupling device with your Kadees?
I've not actually looked at them in the flesh, so not sure how they work exactly, are they easy to deal with when it comes to coupling and un-coupling?

Thanks for the above info though, I found the catalogue a bit of a maze.

Pete

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:44 pm

I found the catalogue a bit of a maze.

Which catalogue?

Kadees are magnetically uncoupled. See this link for an explanation and a neat animation http://www.kadee.com/animation/c1.htm
It requires a little back&forthing to get the delayed uncoupling effect but for immediate uncoupling you just stop over the magnet and reverse. For those that don't know, delayed uncoupling means you only need one uncoupler on the main line. You can then uncouple the train, shunt it into a siding and leave it there. The other thing about Kadees is, you can pick up a loco or wagon without taking the whole train. You can use either permanent magnets or remotely operated electro magnets if you don't want your train uncoupled every time you stop there. Oddly enough I never got as far as using either on my old layout :^) it wasn't that finished before we had to move.
Regards
Rob

Pete

Postby Pete » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:29 am

Which catalogue?

Rob
Was an online catalogue/list on the MG SHarp website (UK importers of Kadee).

I have two further questions:

Are they easy to manually uncouple, i.e. no magnets.

If your mounting them on different wagon types, do you use any sort of jig to ensure they are set at the right height etc.

Thanks
Pete

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:56 am

to uncouple without a magnet I just slightly lift one end of whatever I'm uncoupling and pull it away from the rest.
Yes, there's a jig.
Regards
Rob

Pete

Postby Pete » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:04 am

Thanks Rob, advice much appreciated.

I'll post a pic tonight of an oldish Hornby France HO wagon, I would appreciate your view as to the practicalities of converting it to Kadee.

I'll post it in my own thread, I'm hijacking Rich's here.

Thanks
Pete

Honeywell

Postby Honeywell » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:21 pm

As my thread is threatening to fall off the bottom of the page I figured I'd post a sort of update.

We were after a place to buy, but that's now been sold to somebody else.. so we're still stuck where we were with no other place to go. We're having to swallow the extra rent which we now know is £30pm which doesn't sound a lot... but it's an extra hit..

Anyway, I'm making progress on the railway one way in that I'm gathering wagon kits and the tools needed to build them...

MMmmmm shiny..

Anyone know how to use air brushes? 8)

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:23 pm

Don't bother with those pressurized cans they're a waste of time & money, get a compressor >:^) . A proper compressor can also be used for nail guns and other tools, quick inflation of air mattresses and flat tyres, air dusting the inside of computers and (carefully) of railway items and they're cheaper and much more fun than the little hobby type.
Get a big cardboard box and cut it diagonally in half to make a cowled work area to contain the overspray.
Buy a book about how to airbrush :^)
Regards
Rob

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”