The Line To Honeywell

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Honeywell

Postby Honeywell » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:28 pm

It does add on a lot of work, but it seems a more positive joint if you know what I mean.

It's still going to be glued with one screw in each joint to locate it tightly while the glue sets mainly..

Honeywell

Postby Honeywell » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:30 am

Update 26-11-05 (27th now really, but that's a technicality..)

I'm working my way onto the next board along from the crossovers in the station approach and onto the part with the bridges and tunnel portal in my 1:1 scale planning.

For those that need a reminder which bit I'm talking about:

See top right sketch..

and also see:

That's the bit I'm trying to get a definite plan for.

Once I have that plan I can continue work on the baseboard framework as I'm planning on doing the crossovers and bridges first.
Last edited by Honeywell on Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:52 am

what do you mean by a definite plan? the top right sketch is not the same as the one below it.
Looks like you need a double slip too :^)
Regards
Rob

Honeywell

Postby Honeywell » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:15 am

The top one is the current one, but the bottom sketch (albeit not the same track design) puts it into context to show which bit I'm working on..

No need for double slips on mine, I've managed to avoid them.

By definite plan I mean get track pieces drawn around on the boards to see exactly where everything has to go. No use of CAD here remember..

Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:46 pm

Rich

Just trying to get a feel of your layout (though your kitty would be more fun). Is it extending around 3 sides of your room?
Will line A and B run parallel (though B appears to be in a tunnel).

You intending to try to return them to meet up with C?

The station is obviously your main feature, you intending on having anything else, any small industry type things?

You might have already mentioned this in your first post, but would be good if you could refresh our memories (or at least mine).

Looking forward to progress reports

Pete

PS post more pics of that kitty :wink:
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:44 pm

you could use a cad package just to print some point templates.
Regards
Rob

Honeywell

Postby Honeywell » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:11 pm

Nah, I've got the real thing to draw around..

I need to think up a suitable response to Pete..

Honeywell

Postby Honeywell » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:01 pm

Pete wrote:Rich

Just trying to get a feel of your layout (though your kitty would be more fun). Is it extending around 3 sides of your room?
Will line A and B run parallel (though B appears to be in a tunnel).

A and B are indeed to run around the same direction. B disappears into a tunnel and runs out of sight in the hillside. I'm planning on the main running line A crossing a larger bridge over a river that the stream the lines cross near the station flows into.. going to make it difficult hiding the other line unless I drop it lower than the river bed.. if you follow what I mean.

The lines are going to run around about half of the room.. Difficult to explain exactly where, I'll have to show you the pics once the boards are up..

You intending to try to return them to meet up with C?

No, C is actually a dead end where work has just begun on an extension.

The station is obviously your main feature, you intending on having anything else, any small industry type things?

I've thought now and again about some sort of small dock near the station to bring the river into the main feature, but I keep deciding against it on the grounds that it'll clutter the layout and add on yet another model railway cliche.. Already got enough as it is.

PS post more pics of that kitty :wink:

No :P

Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:38 pm

Rich

No

Poor show :( !

Back to Honeywell:

That's a problem with the second line, especially as your not having a backdrop, (thought that was the solution to run it behind the backdrop). I guess you'd have to drop the line about 50mm to clear the other track, what's the maximum gradient you can run a OO up/down about 1:20 ? you'd need about 1000mm clear to do that ? If you went for a spiral you'd still need to lose 500-650mm using R2 curves.

mmm will have to give that some thought.

Would it be out of the question to move the river so you had both tracks over the bridge and then the line 'B' disapearing into a tunnel? mmm that won't work either because you have the stream first that both 'A' and 'B' cross.

How about in the mean time you post a few pics of the kitty, to help the old grey matter, at times like this I always turn to Sid for his advice :wink:

Pete

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:43 pm

I've thought now and again about some sort of small dock near the station to bring the river into the main feature, but I keep deciding against it on the grounds that it'll clutter the layout and add on yet another model railway cliche.. Already got enough as it is.

I'm full of cliches but, then, I put the mental in sentimental :^)
Want to completely avoid cliches on your layout? Leave out the trains :^D
But you're right, it is better to avoid clutter.
Regards
Rob

Honeywell

Postby Honeywell » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:44 pm

Pete wrote:Poor show :( !

Correct, but it's my show and I'm running it. So there.

Back to Honeywell:

That's a problem with the second line, especially as your not having a backdrop, (thought that was the solution to run it behind the backdrop).

A backdrop may end up being the way to go, but I'll either have to learn to paint or find somebody that can. I personally don't like the glossy printed ones you can get and printing out a load of real pictures on the computer sounds like a ball ache to get a flowing scene.

How about in the mean time you post a few pics of the kitty, to help the old grey matter, at times like this I always turn to Sid for his advice :wink:

Pete

I usually turn to hard liquor. It is my friend. That's what I tell the pretty nurse with the key to my padlock. She agreed to marry me if I stop talking to 'those nasty men on the internet'

Pete

Postby Pete » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:51 am

Of course your backdrop doesn't have to be a continuation of the scene, it could be a plain neutral background, just to provide a 'buffer' between the layout and the real world. I'm thinking of having a plain very light blue background to my N-Gauge layout, and a light grey one for my French layout.

Pete

Honeywell

Postby Honeywell » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:16 pm

That's it. No more Honeywell for the time being.

All planning, preparing and wood cutting has to stop.

I knew it would happen, just as thing are beginning to look good and settled something comes along to really piss me off.

Sorry for the language, but our landlord has just decided he wants to increase the rent on this place for the second time in 12 months. Totally unjustified as the place needs serious money spending on it and we just can't afford another increase.

So we're moving again.

Including living at home with my parents that will be my 5th home in 4 years.

Not a happy man.

dynamite25

Postby dynamite25 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:25 pm

Thats a bummer that is and he wants to put the rent up even though it needs work doing,i hope it all works out for you and emma.

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:51 pm

Man that really sucks! So I take it the bottom hasn't fallen out of the property market over there yet? He wouldn't dare raise his rent if it was here.
In fact... you could move here!! Just make sure you bring your track with you :^)
Regards
Rob

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”