Fosse Park Sishades obviously titled layout (photo warning)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Bigglesof266

Re: Fosse Park Sishades obviously titled layout (photo warning)

Postby Bigglesof266 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:32 pm

sishades wrote:A footbridge has been purchased from Scalescenes, as I like the flexibilty these kits provide.

Rather nice work there mate! Unfortunately we don't have Tescos here. :cry: So one has to make do with ALDI's Germanically efficient checkouts...sans queue building time. :(

Concur with your approbation for Scalescenes self-print 'kits'. So pleased was Lady Blyton with Mr. Wiffen's gratis Small Goods Store (R002), expenditure was authorised immediately for the further purchase of a Scalescenes Signal Box (R010) and Gable Roof Engine Shed (R022). Downloaded yesterday, Shillingsworth's Board of Trustees are most pleased to announce "the imminent commencement of construction contingent upon the anticipated arrival on Monday next of newly appointed Chief Engineer Mr T. McDowell".

A question for you re your Water Tower (R025)? Was there an aesthetic reason you chose to use Dapol's plastic tank instead of constructing Scalescenes' one...or was it just convenience?

Keep the photos and commentary coming!

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:58 pm

He stole the idea for the water tower off me.
Nice plan with the platform construction. Looks like you've got those curves spot on; looks brilliant aesthetically too. Are you scrapping the huge pillars and raised section for the station then? I thought they were pretty cool and gave a dingy seedyness to the scene.
I can't work out what you mean about the loft hatch. Does it rise up and block out the station.....maybe just get rid of the damn thing.

iankemp

Postby iankemp » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:40 am

sishades wrote:

Looking north towards Fosse bridge

these 2 pics look good they have a realistic look to them bit of dark areas on the ballast and some weeds and it would look really good! doin a good job so far keep it up!

bbc100p

Postby bbc100p » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:44 am

sishades wrote:Looking north towards Fosse bridge

Is that a working train or a broken one?
And same for the truck?
It back! And sorry about the rant but I do not know why they banned MOHAAPlayer!

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:01 am

I am slowly working my way through the layout thread; I certainly like what I see in this one, love the bridge 8)

Dave

sishades

Postby sishades » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:36 am

The loco that sits on Fosse Bridge does work as it is brand new. I started to convert it to DCC and realised that I had run out of decoders to finish the job. So for the time being it has been placed just for aesthetic reasons. The bridge itself contains a double line that has been abandoned and overgrown with weeds.

To gain access to the loft a section of my baseboard has to lift up like a trapdoor, and as it does so, the roof beam knocks one section of platform out of the way. My plan is to reseat it every time I want to have a running session, but this may limit the items placed on it, ie lights that work will have wires protruding from the underside. Although I am quite happy to do this I was hoping for some suggestions as to how to bypass this but the more I give thought to this problem the more convinced I am that I am going to have to live with it.

Perhaps I will have to fit the rear retaining/station walls on some small hinges so that they fold out of the way when the baseboard section is lifted.

The original idea for the station was to have a large structure on pillars and at the time of construction I had Waverly in mind as a basis on which to make this model. However, having seen Waverly West on the othe forum, my effort looked like Ryman League Level rather than Premiership and as such my station was removed. I still have the columns and may resurrect them at a future date. The mistake I made was that I thought that I could make it up as I went along but this has proved to be not the case. Since that time I would like to think that my modelling ability has advanced somewhat and plans are in the pipeline with numerous ideas being written down. This part of the layout is the kingpin of the project and I want it to look the business. Hopefully Scalesenes Large Station will fit the bill, and by combining it with plans from Johns other kits, I will hopefully produce something that I can be proud of. I really need to have a go at producing something from scratch with plasticard to really test myself. I would love to be able to produce buildings such as those on Grotland as they ooze quality and craftsmanship, capturing the essence of northen industrial towns to a tee.

I chose the plastic tank for the water tower to give the model a bit more "life". This also enabled me to add some rust effects. I did not realise until an hour ago that these towers fed the water cranes dotted around sheds etc.

Yesterday I started to construct the footbridge (again a Scalescenes kit) and will adapt it to accomodate the three platforms. To improve the appearence I may purchase some of those metal plates that form the sides of bridges and adorn the sides of the footbridge walkway with them. There is certainly plenty of scope for adding bits and pieces to all of these kits. As someone who has never built anything with plastic before the Scalescenes kits look perfect to expanding ones modelling skills.

The ballasting is being done in three stages. Firstly as the track sits on 3mm cork, I can fill in the gaps between the outer rails and not worry about replacing sections of rail. Once I am truely happy with that, I will fill in the gaps between the sleepers and then finally the outer sides will be done.

Many thanks for all of the kind comments, they are most welcome and great for the ego. If something does look wrong or is not appropiate then please let me know.

Sishades.
Last edited by sishades on Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

mycerbera

Postby mycerbera » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:50 am

:shock: Jealous of the progress you're making, puts me to shame!

Have you got any up to date "looking North/South" overview photos of the whole layout? :D

sishades

Postby sishades » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:58 am

Hi Mark, no I dont have any photos covering the whole layout. I will have to do this in the next few days as I have added a freight yard in the last few months on the south side of the loft hatch. The engine shed has not been touched with the exception of a few sheds being built and the turntable fitted.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

paulsrail

Postby paulsrail » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:06 pm

HI Sishades
Great work , love your layout. I,m going re-do my layout in the garage which was my workshop in order to create room for my band saw pillar drill scroolsaw and belt sander. These were removed to make room for the layout but are to useful not to have to hand.
You mentioned you used ratio signal gantreys for your girder work, i,ve been using plastruct but it works out quite expensive so i made my own out of card. They look the part, are cheap to make but are not very strong.
Here are some photos of my Garage/workshop which became a layout but will have to be modified to accomadate both.

So when the Coegnant addon board is finished a new layout will be built aroun it.
Paul
Paul

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:34 pm

Hi sishades,

What great pogress you have been doing on the layout, i also like the trackwork very much it looks brilliant infact :wink:

That is some nice workstation you got there, you dont happen to work in a factory thats run by a system called 5 S do you thats how our tools are so neatly layed out at work :lol: :wink:

Lee
My N Gauge Layout.

Sunshine In The Lakes <<<<< Old layout no more

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44159 <<<<< Back to the Lakes (New Layout 2013)

MrT

Postby MrT » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:58 pm

The platforms and station trackwork looks great Simon. I initially tried using the same method of platform construction as you but wasn't nearly as successful.

Graymee

Postby Graymee » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:50 pm

Hi Simon,

Been following your thread for a while now and as a newbie to model building too, I have found it inspiring! The build quality is excellent, I haven't tried a scalescenes kit yet, kind of got the feeling that they would end up in a gluey squashy mess! I might just have a bash now...?

sishades wrote:To gain access to the loft a section of my baseboard has to lift up like a trapdoor, and as it does so, the roof beam knocks one section of platform out of the way. My plan is to reseat it every time I want to have a running session, but this may limit the items placed on it, ie lights that work will have wires protruding from the underside. Although I am quite happy to do this I was hoping for some suggestions as to how to bypass this but the more I give thought to this problem the more convinced I am that I am going to have to live with it.

Just a thought that may help...could you not terminate any wiring in the buildings to a drawing pin secured, blunt end down, to the very base of the structure. Then terminate the baseboard wiring in the same way, under that point of the building, blunt end up? You could add a bit of weight to the building to ensure a good contact and a little dowel peg or something to ensure accurate lateral position. That way you can lift and replace the building without the risk of a live wire hitting a live rail and with the added benefit of simple removal for those urgent times when the third mug of coffee just refuses to stay in there any longer!! :lol:

Hope that helps, keep on doing that "inspiration" thing :wink:

Cheers

Graeme
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
My layout thread:-
Loxley Lane
I started another thread for trackplanning, if anyone is interested
My trackplan thread

Mighty

Postby Mighty » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:47 pm

Those ships of the line are stunning! They look like like British first or second rates of over 74 guns? I'd love to know a bit more about them...
"We've shot off over a million cannon shells, and what's the result? One dachschund with a slight limp." - Blackadder

My layout thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20737

briantwigley

Postby briantwigley » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:12 pm

Bigglesof266 wrote:
sishades wrote:A footbridge has been purchased from Scalescenes, as I like the flexibilty these kits provide.

Rather nice work there mate! Unfortunately we don't have Tescos here. :cry: So one has to make do with ALDI's Germanically efficient checkouts...sans queue building time. :(

Where are you from?

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:08 pm

Hi Sishades,

Ref your 0-4-0 class 6 shunter ........ Add as much lead as you can, anywhere and everywhere, this added contact pressure improves the slow running as will the hard wired DCC chip. I love 'em and have a green & blue .... thought about a third and spraying it black as an industrial shunter.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”