SASLord's now Old Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
saslord
Site Admin

SASLord's now Old Layout

Postby saslord » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:33 am

Hello

As you can see I have made a topic just for people to post information about their own layouts so i thought I better add mine to the list.

As I have just moved to my first house I have tons of room to build a new layout. I have a big attic with no trusses, a large garage, and two bedrooms and a dinning room I could use.

I have settled for the 2nd bedroom as it will be warm and require no modifications and there is no security issue.

As this will also be the guest room, and that I want the maximum distance for my trains to run on, I have decided on a shelve style layout that will go all the way around the outside of the room, which can be dismantled and put on the shelve system I have when we have a guest. Also allows me to build it in the garage creating less mess.

On one wall will be having a board 70cm wide by 3m 10cm long which will be fore my main station and sidings. The rest of the walls will have boards about 30cm wide to carry two mainlines (one in each direction) and a branch line. To be set in a countryside scene, with areas for industry for my freight. There will be several bridges One across the doorway and possible across the window.

In total each mainline will be approximately 12m long.

So what do you think?

Lee

Postby Lee » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:03 pm

Well it sounds awsome to me u put some good quality think time into it, it will be a gr8 project and a good challange, go for it. :wink: :D

saslord
Site Admin

Postby saslord » Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:48 pm

Well thought I better update everyone on my progress

I have started to build the baseboards. A light pine timber frame supported form removable metal shelve brackets.

Sadly I have had to cut a section of my old shelve unit off. :( But I would rather do this than not use that hole section on my layout. sry about the bad images not my best camera.

The removed section used to hold the power supply and signal and point control switches. Now its a bit of a confused mess

I will post some more when it is in place. Tonight hopfully.

btw we are decorating the room after I finish drilling.
Last edited by saslord on Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Pete

Postby Pete » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:05 pm

It's a nice sized space you have there, is the room to be used for anything else?
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

saslord
Site Admin

Postby saslord » Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:43 pm

This room is to be our second bedroom/ Guest room.

That is the main reason that I am building it in sections that can be put on the large black rungs at the back of the pictures. the whole model will become a bunch of shelves (a bit larger than expected well when you have got the space) in the corner. Hopfully

Here is another dark picture of the shelve inplace. Now need to work out what all those wires do. :?

Last edited by saslord on Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dynamite25

Postby dynamite25 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:04 pm

A great start to a new model railway in your new house it's looking really great salord,i've got all the timber for my smaller layout now for my bedroom but still working on a track plan to fill the space.

Anyway looking forward to more photos of your progress on your layout

saslord
Site Admin

Postby saslord » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:11 pm

Here are some more pictures. Should give you an idea about what I am doing with the shelve Idea

Last edited by saslord on Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:46 pm

wow thats awsome :wink: :D

dynamite25

Postby dynamite25 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:02 pm

i have the same self backets and runners but in white as i needed to some to put my nitro R/C cars and that was the best idea to do,and is a great way of storing a layout when the room is need for guests visiting.

Honeywell

Postby Honeywell » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:21 pm

Alternatively sod the guests and have a bigger layout...

Or will wives and girlfriends not allow that... ;)

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:37 pm

Very cool, Saslord. What gauge wood are you using for the framework?
Regards
Rob

saslord
Site Admin

Postby saslord » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:58 pm

Its three quarters of an inch by an inch and a half.

I intend to put more cross battens in when I Know that there will not be a point needed directly above. I have just done the basic box frames with a few cross battens for support.

Had to build a new frame to go under my old shelve layout which I had to cut to length. I have used wooden dowls to hold the boards in the correct position.

saslord
Site Admin

Postby saslord » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:25 pm

Thought I better do an update.

This was a cupboard that we knocked out two weeks ago.

Below is a picture of the new wall we have built after being plastered. We have also put up coving around the top of the room. Just have to replace some scurtinboard and fill some holes then we can hang some paper and paint the room a green colour.

I hope to get it finished befor december and to get the boards done by christmas.

I think santa is bringing me a class 60 EWS :D :D

saslord
Site Admin

Postby saslord » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:47 pm

Update 28-11-2005

Well I have been busy finishing off the train room.

Only painting the scurting to go.

I have changed my plan and am now going to use thin 3mm ply or 5mm if the 3mm is too thin to cover the top of my layout.

Why the change from sundella. Because I cant find anywhere to get it and I want to state the railway tonight.

No more waiting for me. Its been taking too long. I have withdrawal symptoms.

I will post some pictures tonight.

dynamite25

Postby dynamite25 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:36 pm

I am using 6mm 4x2 ply sheets for my upper level but i was going to use 4mm but that was to flimsy to use,so i bought 6mm to match the rest of the upper level and is alot stronger to use.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”