First attempt ON30

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
classicalblue

First attempt ON30

Postby classicalblue » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:16 pm

Here are a few pics of my first attempt into model railway building. I had a few criteria for this layout. I wanted to try ON30 as I like the size of everything. It had to be no bigger than 5 feet wide and 4 feet in depth. (Any bigger and I would have a divorce on my hands.) I wanted to create a sense of depth and height in such a small space so I went for three separate levels, all simple ovals, and all immersed in lots of scenery - eventually! Let me know what you think.

Cheers

Hywel

Blaqkaudio009

Postby Blaqkaudio009 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:41 pm

looking real ace so far! i like the idea of three seperate ovals, will look real nice when everythings done!

boyofbears

Postby boyofbears » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:34 pm

looking good!!!!

cant you connect the top and middle loop at least :wink:
my imaginery friend thinks u have problems.......wait........
my layout viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17368 new!!!

classicalblue

Postby classicalblue » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:22 pm

I had thought of connecting up the top two levels but I wanted each level to 'step back' as they got progressively higher. It's all quite tight as it is and my bottom line excuse is it was easier this way :)

classicalblue

Postby classicalblue » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:03 am

Hi all,

Started to put some cardboard formers up now, along with some insulation board off cuts. I want try and fill up the area as much as possible I have started making the trestle bridge out of balsa. I made a small jig using balsa as well and found that it was easy to cut and glue all the sections. This will go under the second level. The tunnel mouths are there and in the bottom left corner is a piece of test track I weathered to see what the effect was. I’m fairly happy with this muted look. I have also made two small shacks out of balsa as well. A lot of the work has already taken place off layout so to speak.

I’m using the frocks method of rock constructing as well as the more traditional mod rock.

Keep you posted

Hywel

Krislights

Postby Krislights » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:55 pm

Looking great. I like the depth of the layout and levels. I suppose if you run out of space on X and Y co-ordinates, there is always Z..... Build upwards!
If the wheels don't fit...
it's probably narrow-gauge.
"Awkward thinking".

matticus88

Postby matticus88 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:02 pm

Will you be able to reach the rear of the layout once all the scenery is in place? i suppose them tunnel entrances are more than big enough to reach into to clean and re-rail any derailments.

classicalblue

Postby classicalblue » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:14 am

Upwards is the plan on this one! I’m going to leave the back third of the layout free for access to those hard to get bits. The intention is to build up the front two-thirds to a height that will cover the back area completely. The tunnels should be fine and hopefully access from the rear won’t be a problem. More pics in the next few days!

Cheers

Hywel

zabdiel

Postby zabdiel » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:45 pm

Very cool! You'll have to send some pics to Carl Arendt once it's complete as I'm sure he'd put it in a scrapbook.

classicalblue

Postby classicalblue » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:21 pm

Well the track has now been ballasted. I’m quite pleased with the effect actually! I’ve started putting the trestle under the second level, just to see what it looks like and to make sure any scenery doesn’t encroach at all. The trestle pieces still need to be stained at this point. Also started a waterfall, which will drop from the top of the layout in four sections eventually going under the trestle and bottom level. The first pieces of mod roc are just starting to go on as well. Hadn't though of sending it off Carl Arendt. I'll have to make sure it's good enough! Some more pics of the progress below

Cheers

Hywel

pointstaken

Postby pointstaken » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:59 pm

Some nice work there with those trestles ! That dilapidated building in the last photo of your first post looks good as well.

Dennis
I know nothing, but much I believe

Krislights

Postby Krislights » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:28 pm

Don't get too carried away with the trestles. You still have alot of work to do behind them, before they get too covered in paint and glue, going between the pots and work surface?
How are you going to do the rather sharp cliff face?
If the wheels don't fit...
it's probably narrow-gauge.
"Awkward thinking".

classicalblue

Re: First attempt ON30

Postby classicalblue » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:24 am

Hi Kristian,

No need to worry about the trestles. They are just a temporary measure for now. and are removed before any work is done. They are just there to to make sure that nothing encroaches when they finally go into place. Th rocks i'm planning to make out of foam rubber. They are cut up already waiting to be glued into place before painting a coat of plaster on them.

Cheers

Hywel

classicalblue

Postby classicalblue » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:37 am

More rockwork done now. It’s a small space so it’s not taking too much time. It’s finally beginning to take shape.

classicalblue

Postby classicalblue » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:32 am

Well, managed to finish the rock work off now. Also started to apply a liberal wash over the whole layout as well. Finally starting to take shape!

Hywel

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”