My physiotherapy project

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
piermaster

My physiotherapy project

Postby piermaster » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:29 am

Hi all,

The arm has more or less recovered, (won't be 100% for about a year) but the wrist had some muscle damage which is being treated by physiotherapy.

I'm planning my 'Physiotherapy Project' (and that will be the layout's name!)

I have a 3ft x 7in board which will have at one end a 2-track diesel shed (Hornby one just won on e-bay) with a Walthers fuelling rack in front and a sanding tower at the opposite end (also just won on e-bay).

It will be 'pointless' in that there will just 2 parallel tracks each holding one HO American loco and they will just shuttle back and forth using an HM2000 controller.

Yes, it will be minimalist, even boring, but it will not be a 5-minutes job to build - it will allow me to concentrate on detailing and more importantly get me to use all my arm and wrist muscles again.

The plan below was 'pinched' from another forum and is of a single track version.

The stock I intend to use will be my Bachmann Alaska RR GP40-2 and my (soon to be de-branded) Proto1000 RDC, the choice being two good runners and no-one ever seems to model DMUs at service points.

Will keep you posted on progress.

Dave

heinz

Postby heinz » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:40 am

Sounds great mate!

I hope your recovery goes well. My dad has just hurt his shoulder and will require a similar recovery process.

margao

Postby margao » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:56 am

Nice work here, I like the medical aspect to it, very imaginative. Who knows you may even get hooked and build something massive when you 110% recovered.

Good luck with this, I hope you keep us updated.

yamahadrums

Re: My physiotherapy project

Postby yamahadrums » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:01 am

Good morning Mr Piermaster, sorry to hear about your injury, hope you have a speedy recovery. Good idea for a small layout.

mpeffers

Postby mpeffers » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:15 pm

Hope you recover soon. Physio seems to work wonders - a friend of mine, through an unfortunate string of injuries, ended up unable to walk for a while but shes back on her feet again. her physiotherapist even worked out what had gone wrong - something the doctors never quite managed.
Matt

santene

Postby santene » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:37 pm

sounds like fun and might even hell you as hwk in your therapy :lol:
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy

piermaster

Postby piermaster » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:10 pm

Hi All,

Have been studying the prototype for this project and came up with these:

Shed & fuelling rack at Ludlow, Kentucky. Now imagine this with the Hornby HST Shed kit and the Walthers Fuelling Rack?

And at the opposite end of the fuelling rack is my IHC Sand Tower!

Servicing my Bachmann Alaska RR GP40-2 No.3012 on one track.....

....and my newly-acquired Proto 1000 Central Vermont RS11 3610 on the other track.

What do you think so far?

Dave

santene

Postby santene » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:45 pm

i think its gunna end up pretty good and a good peice of homework for you training :wink:
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy

piermaster

Postby piermaster » Sun May 04, 2008 1:14 pm

Been mucking about in the garage and have done the first draft:

Just placed the plastic bases down for the fuelling point and shed and plonked the locos on to get some idea of how big or small this project is going to be. The loco shed is 10" long and the fuelling point is 11" long, all sitting on a 36" x 7" ply base. Might make the layout 24" long - only because I hate ballasting!

More to follow - One day!

Dave

piermaster

Postby piermaster » Mon May 05, 2008 9:58 am

Tried to saw another baseboard today, but after about half-dozen saw strokes, the pain in wrist and arm was unbearable. Seriously thinking of keeping the 36inch board length with only 24 inches for the 'layout' and the remaining 12 inches as an information panel.

Because I've got 4 more exhibitions this year (am I glad to overhaul Walmington Pier Tramway and complete Route's End 2 before the accident!), there will be no mad rush to complete the Physio Project, in fact I'm trying to regain confidence to start it. Accidents and injuries like mine do dent your confidence!

Cheers,

Dave

Postby 47806 » Mon May 05, 2008 5:47 pm

Interesting project. I have never seen the Central Vermont on a model railway, here is a photo of a CV boxcar on a CN freight a couple years ago:

http://thomasblampied.fotopic.net/p33248626.html

Keep up the good work!
Follow the Progress on my Layouts - click here.
My Railway Photography - click here.

piermaster

Postby piermaster » Sat May 31, 2008 10:48 pm

Felt brave and strong enough to go into the garage and guess what? I'VE STARTED!!!!!!!!!

Baseboard is 6mm ply 3ft x 7ins. Track is laid to 2ft length and the remaining 1ft (painted white) will hold the controller. The track is in place but not yet secured and the Hornby HST Shed is sub-assembled (I taped it together just for this pic):

Alaska RR 3012 and Central Vermont 3610 sit on the unpainted Walthers fuelling rack pad.

More will follow!!!!

Dave

PS I looks like we've lost the photos of the prototypes, so I'll re-submit them:
Shed & Fuelling rack at Ludlow, Kentucky

Sand Tower

Alaska RR GP40-2 3012 at Anchorage Shops.

Central Vermont RS11 3611 bulled up for a railtour.

piermaster

Postby piermaster » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:20 pm

Another morning in the garage:

Shed assembled and in place, Fuelling Pad weathered and in place, track secured.

I think I'm getting good at this!!!! Seriously, it has helped my arm a lot and doing wonders for my morale having been made 'redundant' by an unscrupulous (French) employer who fired the UK Managing Director, myself and the UK Sales Manager almost 3 weeks ago and jobhunting a week before your 54th birthday ain't much fun!

Dave

piermaster

Postby piermaster » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:47 pm

Thursday 12 June:

Getting there!!!!

Tha Sanding Tower assembly was aborted as the kit is of such poor quality and I'd be better off without it! So I assembled the pump house that comes with the Walthers Fuelling Point in its rightful place.

The above pic shows the Hornby/HM 2000 controller in place and for the first time power is supplied and things operated!

A close-up of the depot in operation showing my method of connecting power leads to track - using spade connectors to the underside of the rail ends and the leads crimped. Both locos ran smoothly, but I still have some way to go!

Hope you like it as much as I do.

Cheers,

Dave

piermaster

Postby piermaster » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:53 pm

Almost there!!!!!

Found some cladding sections from an old Walthers building kit and chose them to be the backscene and added a few Noch figures:
Now need to put a screen between controller and track bumpers and I'm done!!!

Dave

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”