Hello and welcome to my Llangollen in 00

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
yamahadrums

Re: Hello and welcome to my Llangollen in 00

Post by yamahadrums »

Thank you Grotland and all. I would very much like to incorperate the fine details i.e. signal box internals, point/ signal rodding/ cables, weathering, lamp posts, more fencing e.t.c., but I've had my recent construction spell with building signals and getting them to work. I do have spats or phases of the construction variety but am greatly distracted by wanting to run my sound fitted locos!
It's a wonder I get anything done at all!
I am still flaberghasted at the rate you ( mr Grotland) plough ahead with your work! Amazing stone/ brickwork you've done, the sooty smokey scene is superb! Essential to any combustibal fuel powered railway.
Seems like you've dabled with plastic before...hmmmm- model aircraft? I reckognise that thumb- .....
yamahadrums

Post by yamahadrums »

Hello, some shots of the station showing the detremental effect of not making provisions for the surrounding area. The station was an afterthought having completed goods junction and would have benefited from a wider surface to include a bit of scenics behind the far platform. Maybe at a later date I will build the houses which sit overlooking the up platform. Well worth considering all avenues at the planning stage!

GROTLAND

Post by GROTLAND »

Yep, I can empathise totally. You chose the same direction as me. But ask yourself which is best, nice smooth realistic curves or background depth?. It's all too easy to ponder this when the choice is gone and the grass is always greener, except where there's no room for it. I'm actually looking forward to modelling 2 miles of depth into 1/4 inch..ha ha.
Your grassy embankments look the part. how did you build them? Something I've found hard is to make the land form not seem contrived and too smooth.
Oh, sorry about that grubby thumb. Neglect of personel hygene due to modelling work!
You could give me all your DCC stuff if they are too much of a distraction for you..hee hee
Keep the pictures coming!
yamahadrums

Post by yamahadrums »

G'day Grotland. Cheers, I made the embankments on the 3rd pick by piling layers of cardboard on top of each other the same way as you see contour lines on maps. You can get a feel of the form of the land - hight and steepness with a little bit of randomness thrown in for good measure. These layers were then covered in a sheet of 2mm polystyrene glued on. Once set I then generously coated the lot in that artex type stuff- cheap enough from b&q, let it dry, painted with pva/ greeny brown watercolour paint and while wet start the sprinkles. Woodland + Javis flocks.
The other method I used elsewhere is to make a lattice structure of cross members of empty cat food boxes! Loads of them! They are made from very sturdy card and result in a very strong solid structure. The latter method is shown below.

02_tank_buff

Post by 02_tank_buff »

Now I have to say, you've got the look at feel of the area very nicely. As I have relations in Llangollen area I visit regulary to the railway (and my relations!). Do you have any kettles on the layout? It would be nice to see a pannier running through...
SR/ScR Fan

Post by SR/ScR Fan »

:shock: stunning.....i'll sell my stock now. "We're not worthy, we're not worthy"
yamahadrums

Post by yamahadrums »

Hi Tank Buff, cheers. Here's a pannier and a fowler for you. Hope you don't mind the black & white.

MTA

Post by MTA »

Do you have any difficulties with stock and the curved platform?

I ask as I plan to do a preserved railway layout based on Lyme Regis...
Southernmod

Post by Southernmod »

yamahadrums wrote:Hi Tank Buff, cheers. Here's a pannier and a fowler for you. Hope you don't mind the black & white.

You mean Prairie and Stanier...
MTA

Post by MTA »

Southernmod wrote:
yamahadrums wrote:You mean Prairie and Stanier...
You mean Prairie and Fairburn :wink:
yamahadrums

Post by yamahadrums »

Hi chaps, sorry yes a fairbourne not a fowler I knew it started with 'f'.
Right, about the stock & curved platforms- before building the platforms, lay some card or paper down where the platform is going to be and push a chosen carriage up and down the track the length of the platform gently holding a pencil A/ in the middle of the coach and B/ at one corner facing the platform. This will mark out the boundries needed to clear the body of the coach. This can then be turned into a template to use to mark out the shape of the platform once built. Allow also for valve gear/ con rods on steamers. Remember to mark some reference points or datum to make sure the template goes to the same position as when it was drawn.
Hope this helps.
MTA

Post by MTA »

yamahadrums wrote:Hi chaps, sorry yes a fairbourne not a fowler I knew it started with 'f'.
Right, about the stock & curved platforms- before building the platforms, lay some card or paper down where the platform is going to be and push a chosen carriage up and down the track the length of the platform gently holding a pencil A/ in the middle of the coach and B/ at one corner facing the platform. This will mark out the boundries needed to clear the body of the coach. This can then be turned into a template to use to mark out the shape of the platform once built. Allow also for valve gear/ con rods on steamers. Remember to mark some reference points or datum to make sure the template goes to the same position as when it was drawn.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for that!

It helps greatly :D
DrStroganoff

Post by DrStroganoff »

That 2nd photo has a great kind of evening atmosphere to it !

I like the curved platforms, it definately gives a most realistic look to the station area.

Everything looks great actually, trackwork and ballasting etc... Your getting some good results !!
yamahadrums

Post by yamahadrums »

This is 37 035 fitted with Howes Unrefurb 37 chip. It takes off on full power @ 40% throttle and takes off full power with wheelslip @ 50% or more. Fantastic stuff. Now I hope this clip works.
Sound is distorted due to the poor camera mic.
edwardholmes91

Post by edwardholmes91 »

Stunning, absolutely great, I don't know why I havent caught up with your thread sooner. I am lost for words! Your attention to detail is superb, and when you compare your layout to the real life station, you can hardly tell the difference! I look forward to more updates!