My 00 Gauge layout.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
santene

Postby santene » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:50 pm

lol ye :lol:
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy

blackpool_fy2

Postby blackpool_fy2 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:06 pm

Hi, Small. Fantastic start there, I do like that Class 08. :) Could I ask if you're going to connect the top two lines together with points?

Seems a waste of space having a line that can't go anywhere. No offence or anything like that, mate? Just a suggestion is all. :twisted:
Thomas

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:07 pm

blackpool_fy2 wrote:Hi, Small. Fantastic start there, I do like that Class 08. :) Could I ask if you're going to connect the top two lines together with points?

Seems a waste of space having a line that can't go anywhere. No offence or anything like that, mate? Just a suggestion is all. :twisted:

No they aren't.
I did think about joining them to the rest of the track but I wanted to make it out to be a mainline going past the depot.
The idea was to seperate the two areas of track with some fencing and I was going to raise the mainlines up slightly with some hardboard just to give it some slight difference in height for some added interest.

smallman28

Re: My 00 Gauge layout.

Postby smallman28 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:49 am

We are about 80% or more done with laying the track.

There are two tracks on the bottom left to do and the the mainline ones at the top.
For my sins I have pinned down the track :shock: I was sticking it down with double sided tape but ran out of tape and the pins were cheaper :lol:
Despite my best efforts some tracks are not quite paralell but they are within 1mm and you would need a tape measure to know.
Where I have cut tracks to fit they are again not quite level with each other,some are a few mm's longer than others as I wanted to avoid cutting sleepers in half so had to cut one side or the other of whole sleepers.
When I fit some buffer stops I am hoping it will hide the differences on the ends.

santene

Postby santene » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:17 am

almost on to scenery :D just wondering what kind of scenery you gunna have on it and maby you could raise the mainline on a hill and create sector plates at each end so you can throw trains each way :d just an idea would create a lot more work but would be worth it in the end
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:26 am

santene wrote:almost on to scenery :D just wondering what kind of scenery you gunna have on it and maby you could raise the mainline on a hill and create sector plates at each end so you can throw trains each way :d just an idea would create a lot more work but would be worth it in the end

When I first started the idea was thtat the mainline was going to be on a rasied section with a retaining wall running the whole lenght of the board.
I still might do it yet but for now I just want to finish the track on the bottom left.
Even tought there is a small curve coming off the point I might remove it and fit flexible track to get the correct spacing for a Peco engine shed to go in that corner.

Postby 47806 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:45 pm

smallman28 wrote:We are about 80% or more done with laying the track.

For my sins I have pinned down the track :shock: I was sticking it down with double sided tape but ran out of tape and the pins were cheaper :lol:
Despite my best efforts some tracks are not quite paralell but they are within 1mm and you would need a tape measure to know.
Where I have cut tracks to fit they are again not quite level with each other,some are a few mm's longer than others as I wanted to avoid cutting sleepers in half so had to cut one side or the other of whole sleepers.

I only used pins for my layout, you don't really notice them and ballast really helps to hold the track in place.

My model railway club uses a jig to keep the tracks parallel. It is a piece of plastic with notches cut into the edge at the accurate distances. It works really well. Of course, maintenance depot track is never as well maintained as the main line so little changes in spacing won't matter!

I like the idea of having the main line separated from the rest of the depot, it creates a sense of scale and will give you the chance to run more stock. Keep up the good work!
Follow the Progress on my Layouts - click here.
My Railway Photography - click here.

Lewis Nash

Postby Lewis Nash » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:44 pm

like the plan,good design for a layout which needs to be portable,well doen with progress so far :)
NASHTON
website- http://nashton.webs.com/index.htm

ARPLEY STREET
http://arpleystreetmodelrailway.webs.com/
class 60 preservation group-http://www.c60pg.co.uk/
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:12 pm

Lewis Nash wrote:like the plan,good design for a layout which needs to be portable,well doen with progress so far :)

Not sure about the portable part :D I could barely get the baseboard in my car to get it home as it was :lol:

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sat May 03, 2008 2:10 pm

I have started work on the elevated single line section.
It was going to be a double track non raised section to start with but I think this is a bit more interesting

I also got one of the Peco PL11 point motors to try,I was worried it wouldn't fit in some places as space is tight by some of the points.
The plan is to use the NCE controller to switch the points via the Hornby point decoder.

tinsleytmd

Postby tinsleytmd » Sat May 03, 2008 3:00 pm

Just a idea for your elevated track is to hide about 2ft on each end of it & have a dmu on a shuttle unit running forwards & backwards. Or even better raise it higher than it is already move it forward & have a track running under it so you can have a fiddle yard aswell it would totally enhance the layout & give it a really good intresting plan & be alote more exhibitionable.

Simon.

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sat May 03, 2008 5:22 pm

Well this layout is over almost as soon as it started.
When fixing the top section I noticed there is a hump in the baseboard :shock: I never noticed it before as I lay the baseboard on a bed and the duvet covered it up.
The middle section is over 1/2 an inch taller than the ends,I dont know if it has warped somehow but I am 99% certain it wasn't like it when first built.
I have taken up the track and put everything in storage for now,the baseboard is getting chopped up and binned :cry:

santene

Postby santene » Sat May 03, 2008 9:52 pm

what so you gunna restart???

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Sat May 03, 2008 11:00 pm

That's hard luck, smallman. Is the warp too bad to fix?
Regards
Rob

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sun May 04, 2008 12:04 am

There is no easy way to fix it that I can see.
For now I am going to finish the N gauge layout I had started before.
When I resume this it is going to be downscaled slightly to 6x1.
I think the side battens i used were twisted a bit to begin with and where they have dried out they have tweaked the board as well.
I am going to use 15mm MDF to make the top and battens next time as the MDF has no grain and I can cut it on the board cutting machine at work so the battens will be perfectly straight.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”