My 00 Gauge layout.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
smallman28

My 00 Gauge layout.

Postby smallman28 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:44 pm

Seeing as I have started on the layout I thought I would post in this topic :D
So far today I have built the baseboard,just over 4 hours from start to finish,who would have thought screwing wood together would take so long!
It is 7x2 on 12mm MDF with 18x45 battens which is the same as I used on my N gauge layout.
This one is going to be DCC using an NCE Powercab set-up.
The points are there so I can test my wiring and understanding of how to wire for DCC.
So far I have yet to come up with a layout plan but I will get there :lol:

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:43 pm

looks like a good start m8 !

What kind of layout are you going for ? Judging by the EWS 37, I'd say some kind of modern Goods Depot / MPD ? :)

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:27 pm

Possible layout plan,not quite sure yet :D
The top two tracks are just straights that would simulate a mainline going past.

I know some tracks go off the board but those set track pieces will be replaced with lenghts flexi track cut to lenght.

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:55 pm

A few more hours later and we have some paint.
The black section in the middle in the connection port for the NCE controller.
The picture shows its permanent home although it is going to be awkward as hell to get it on the floor when needed :shock:

YardMaster

Postby YardMaster » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:57 pm

Wow! Thats a very busy plan and no mistake :shock:

looking good - will be watching this with interest as i am working in a similiar space (7'6" by 18")

santene

Postby santene » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:16 pm

is there any space left but the bottom left bit and what are you doing with the n gauge layout? as i have been folowing it with intrest and may i ask what made you change from n to oo?
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:32 pm

santene wrote:is there any space left but the bottom left bit and what are you doing with the n gauge layout? as i have been folowing it with intrest and may i ask what made you change from n to oo?

The bottom left part is going to be buildings of some sort,not really thought it through 100% to be honest.
The track plan just happened :lol: I just drew random points etc and it just seemed to fall together,cause the track doesn't really go anywhere I wanted as much ability to change tracks as possible to add extra interest.
The two main lines at the top are just so I can assemble some longish trains even if they dont get run :D
The N gauge will get finished at some point but has taken a slight backseat at the moment.
I still want to go with the nissen hut/ex-army base theme,Hornby are bringing out some of there own at some point so I will most likely go with them.
Why the change,not sure.
I liked the look of the EWS Class 37 City of Worcester (I live in Worcester) and cause it had DCC I thought get a lenght of track and a cheap DCC controller to try it with and it just happened from there.
Also there is so much more available in 00 and I want an easy life with readily available stuff off the shelf as it were.

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:00 am

Put the power system in last night :D
It is just 1mm mains cable,I have kept it as close to the edge and cross braces as possible so as to avoid drilling through them if I have to mount anything else on the board.
On the ends I have stripped about 18 inches or so of the insulation and will solder the track feeds directly to these,once it is all wired and working I will secure these wires better than they are with the glue gun.

The power comes from the control panel to a 15amp connector where it splits into two.

To the left.

And right .

Hopefully some track will come today and I can start on that over the weekend.

santene

Postby santene » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:16 pm

oh well i went from oo to n because i didnt have space and it was a tad cheaper :D and because they looked cute :lol:
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:39 pm

No track today :cry: they tried to deliver it but I was at work.
In typical fashion for once they didn't leave the parcel on the doorstep like they usually do :roll:
I am going to get it tomorrow morning so I will have it for the weekend at least :D

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:06 am

Some track turned up today :D
I am going to buy some more locally tomorrow but this is where we are at the moment.

Everything else is straight track of some lenght or other.
The power has been connected to the bottom right hand piece of track by soldering copper wire "droppers" directly to the fishplates.
I did try soldering to the track but even with a fairly decent iron it wouldn't stick,I could tin both parts first okay but they just wouldn't stay together.
The white areas in between the track is double sided tape that is being used to secure it to the board,when the track is done a more permanent fixing will hopefully be acheived when I ballast the track.

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:08 pm

A few more feet of track laid but it is very time consuming.
Soldering to the track,making sure it is level/straight when laid,soldering to the copper droppers then to top it all off masses of glue to help hold it all in place :D
I got the EWS 08 today as well,considering it is supposed to be DCC ready you would think they would make enough space in the loco to actually fit the chip in :roll:

santene

Postby santene » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:44 pm

lol :lol: not enough in the shunter buy a smaller decoder or hammer out some of the chassis or somit

ledgero2

Postby ledgero2 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:11 pm

you need a small chip such as the TCS M1P-MH for the shunter

looking forward to seeing this layout grow :D

all the best, Adam
One day i'll fall out of the clouds and build a layout!!

http://adam-ledger.fotopic.net -my photo site

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:16 pm

santene wrote:lol :lol: not enough in the shunter buy a smaller decoder or hammer out some of the chassis or somit

ledgero2 wrote:you need a small chip such as the TCS M1P-MH for the shunter

looking forward to seeing this layout grow :D

all the best, Adam

Indeed but seeing as it a Bachmann loco and decoder you think they would make it so the two worked/fitted together or is that too obvious :lol:

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”