DonB's Loft Layout: Ruddington GCR

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
DonB

Re: DonB's Loft Layout: Ruddington GCR

Postby DonB » Mon May 13, 2013 1:31 am

Update Time again...

Not a lot has been happening on scene, but rather off-scene.
Various kits have been built, some outstanding projects finished (mainly electronic). All this around my full-time job, which involves building models for people.

I did, however manage to get this built:

A "what-if" RAF 12T tank wagon.
It consisted of a broken Mainline 'Ronuk' tank and cradle; the tank's damage was filled with Milliput. Even I can't tell where the hole was...
The cradle got a new set of end stanchions. The very worn-out Mainline chassis it sits on (which ran badly) was fitted with a set of Maygib bearings.
The improvement is amazing - It will run away on anything but a dead level surface.

The tank and cradle received a coat of RAF blue, followed by a coat of satin varnish.
Decals came from various sources; the roundels came from a Folland Gnat, the white circles from a Nimrod MR2 the '100' (which indicates it is carrying 100 octane fuel), was made up from individual numbers, while the wagon number is from a Short Stirling.
The decals were sealed with a coat of matt varnish.
I realised I did not have any suitable wire to replace the missing handrails (Yeah, I know. An electronics engineer with no wire... :roll: ), so I raided the spares box and found a length of Hornby signal laddering. I think it looks OK.

The wagon with its parent, a Mainline 'Ronuk' tank wagon.
Last edited by DonB on Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

Blue_2

Postby Blue_2 » Tue May 21, 2013 12:25 pm

I like that! Looks like I'm not the only one who's been doing some wagon butchery... :wink:
Weekend toy, Victor XL231's blog- http://victorxl231.blogspot.com/ Admittedly not a train, but classic, British and LOUD!
My OO work in progress: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36766

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:15 am

Excellent stuff Don!

Seems you have been busy since I was last around! Fantastic stuff! :)

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

DonB

Postby DonB » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:58 am

I've managed to get a little more done on the layout.
Betcha all thought I'd fallen off the planet?! :lol:

The access road to the car park, which runs through the former station yard, has been laid, using my trusty method, P800 wet-and-dry paper.
A very fictitious bus turnaround has also been installed just before the car park itself.

I have been constructing that extra building that appears in several old photos of the station; it can be seen in the two photos that iankemp posted back on Page 10 of this thread.
Good photos of it are almost impossible to find. I had toyed with the idea of travelling to Ruddington and doing a little "archaeology" to ascertain dimensions. However, after finding a reasonably clear shot, I managed to create a drawing of it using the time-honoured method of counting bricks.
In a completely new departure for me, I then went on to produce a model of it from Plastikard and Slater's sheets.
For a first attempt at a plastic scratchbuilt structure, I'm pretty pleased with it. The results will be posted here shortly.

More scenic work will follow, after I return from holiday.

Don
Don

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:35 am

[quote="DonB"] I managed to create a drawing of it using the time-honoured method of counting bricks.{/quote]

An activity best carried out away from the family's gaze, or they may decide that you've finally cracked. :D
Cheaper than a return ticket or a tank of petrol though. If you are tempted to visit a site and take photos, I have a useful gadget, a white telescopic handle from a feather duster. I've made some marks on the tubes to show when it's 1 or 2mtr, and 3ft or 6ft long. Just set the length and put it in shot.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

DonB

Postby DonB » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:06 pm

Oh, they know I'm cracked. And have done for years. :lol:

Anyway, a few photos.
First, a couple of shots of the new building:

Almost done. I'm sure I've ballsed-up the dimensions of the chimney somewhere... Comments & constructive criticism welcome.

Finally, a couple of new arrivals:

37 275 Oor Wullie. Another "J.R Ewing" loco. See the comments for my Sprinter a few pages back for an explanation. :lol:
I've been looking for a BR Blue Type 3 for ages. This one was a very good price. It came with a gallon of free lubricating oil.

Fowler Class 4P pauses and poses for the camera.
Last edited by DonB on Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don

DonB

Postby DonB » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:27 am

Hi folks,

For those of you that may still be following this thread, I have some news.

It is a good six months since I did any work on the layout, and to be honest, I have lost interest in it.
Over the next couple of weeks, I will be making a decision on the layout's future.

Don
Don

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:41 pm

What can one say ?
If all interest has gone then perhaps it's time to stop, but
so frequently it's just a short loss of interest so I'd try &
stick with it ......... This is one of the long period threads !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

DonB

Postby DonB » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:01 pm

After hearing about the Great British Locomotives collection (although that isn't quite correct, as the Mother-In-Law bought me Issue 1 with Mallard), I soon discovered that a GCR 11F "Director" was promised. Needless to say, I had to have one when it arrived in my local WH Smith.
The wheels are truly shocking; the solid mass of mazak hurts my eyes. However, I think the model looks pretty good sat in Platform 1:

Apologies for the awful photo. It was taken on my BlackBerry... :oops:

Strange as it may seem, after photographing No.506, I found myself actually doing some work on the layout.
I have thrown some more Woodland Scenics products around in an attempt to create rough ground cover. The success (or otherwise) of the exercise can be judged in the following photo.

South Notts 119, a 1980 Leyland Atlantean, swings round the tight bend towards Green Lane. New foliage and weeds can be seen.
There are weeds in the ballast too; it has been almost a year without a regular train service. The weed-killing train has been requested. :wink:

Still to do:
- Plant trees to conceal the fact that the access road doesn't go anywhere, and also to conceal the houses immediately to the right of the bridge abutment walls which aren't there in real life.
- Plant - I mean, erect the fencing along the line of the access road. I have a method of fixing the Ratio wooden fencing which I shall share with my fellow Forum members in due course.
- Chuck some more Woodlands Scenics products around.

Dad-1 wrote:...frequently it's just a short loss of interest...

Depends how one defines "short"! It's been almost 11 months. :roll: :wink: :lol:
Last edited by DonB on Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don

DonB

Re: Scenery & Greenery!

Postby DonB » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:33 am

Yesterday, in between working on a few customer orders for model aircraft, I made frequent visits to the loft.
All those stairs & steps... Who says modelmaking is a sedentary hobby? I'm cream-crackered...

I managed to get some scenic work done (Not before time). I have to say I am pleasantly surprised at how good the WS products look once they are down.

Bridge abutment, showing trees intended to conceal the access road curve.
Those trees are ancient Javis products, which were rescued from my old layout. Fencing is by Ratio.

A Barton RTL follows a Harrington Grenadier-bodied AEC Reliance down the access road toward the turnaround.
(It is intended to have a double decker stood where the RTL is to hide the fact that the access road terminates abruptly against the backscene!)
The scenic material still requires "fixing" with a thin PVA/water spray. Tree in background is an early effort with WS foliage and tree armature.

Looking towards Green Lane. Fowler 2-6-4T No.2312 arrives with a short train from Nottingham Victoria.
There needs to be a few more trees down the right-hand side of this view, as I'm not 100% happy with how it looks at the moment.

A slightly better shot of the greenery. :D

View from the platform. I do like this shot!

A quiet moment.
I have an idea for the green space in the right foreground...

A crippled GUV awaits rescue. Tree at right is made from a piece of WS Fine Leaf Foliage.
Last edited by DonB on Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:39 am

Excellent photos, especially the last one and the photo of the station. I'm looking forward to further updates.

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:26 am

Yes, I really like that shot of the Guv too. Nice work all round, it looks instantly familiar to me as a GCR location.

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:05 pm

Ah, Woodland Scenics ground cover. Amazing stuff - it's far and away the most useful thing in a landscape modeller's arsenal.

The layout's looking good, Don; so good that I'm willing to forgive you attributing Mr Fowler's fine design of 2-6-4T to Mr Stanier...!

Gavin

DonB

Postby DonB » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:03 pm

Thanks for the comments, chaps! :D

skyblue - More scenic work will soon follow. Watch this space!

LukeB - Thank you. Good to know that my butchery of history, trackplan and location has not rendered Ruddington completely unrecognisable!
The GUV was acquired a number of years ago sans wheels and was fitted with 3-link couplings. As it was weathered, I was going to repaint it, but changed my mind.

Gavin - Ahh, blood & stomach pills... I was never any good at steam locomotive recognition. Now corrected. :roll: :wink:
It was you who convinced me via your excellent and inspiring Starlingford thread to give the WS products a try, having seen what you have achieved with them.

Stay tuned... ;)
Last edited by DonB on Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don

clivef5915

Postby clivef5915 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:24 am

Very realistic ground cover and bushes. Nice one. Brings the layout to life a bit more. Keep up the good work.
Regards
clive f
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=40184/Bath Queen Square - as never was !

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”