DonB's Loft Layout: Ruddington GCR

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dad-1

Re: DonB's Loft Layout: Ruddington GCR

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:41 pm

Hi DonB,

Don't worry about working backwards - Only become slightly concerned when
like me you don't know if you're coming, or going !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

DonB

Postby DonB » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:12 pm

I can't believe it's been so long since I last posted to this thread...

Due to being extremely busy with work and custom model aircraft builds, there have not been many major developments on the layout, aside from the inevitable additions to the loco fleet. (The layout itself continues to serve as a test bed for various electronic projects and as a photographic backdrop for those model aircraft builds.)

Several centuries ago, I mentioned that I was working on the signage for the station (running-in boards, etc).
A couple of days ago, I retrieved the parts for the running-in boards from the box where I'd lobbed them, and finished them.

Posts made from Evergreen styrene, PVC wire insulation, and glass-head pins.

Time to wave the hairy stick at them...

There should only be one of these, my (extended) platform will have two.

All done.
The larger of the boards will be sited under the canopy, and just requires some timetables and posters to complete it.

Next update coming soon... ;)
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:33 am

I love the station signs mate! Its something Ive been looking at now myself and you nailed it perfectly. Very clever using the evergreen strip. Is it U channel or I beam? I thought the pin heads was a stroke of genius as well.
Josh

DonB

Postby DonB » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:17 pm

Thanks for the comment, Josh!

My ideas are seldom referred to as "genius" - In fact, when I buy seemingly random items, my partner will ask, "What do you need those for?!"

The sign boards themselves are made from 60 thou Plastikard, with a strip of 0.4 x 3.2 Evergreen Stripstyrene (cat. no. 116) forming the "frame" (taking care that the board is centred on the strip).
The top and bottom of the large name/poster board were made in a similar manner; the two parts of the board are seperate pieces of 60 thou.

Posts were cut from 3.2 x 3.2 Evergreen Stripstyrene (cat. no. 186), trimmed to size and a 2mm hole drilled in the top of each to take the PVC insulation. This was glued in place and allowed to set before "dishing" the top with the 2mm drill to take the shortened glass-head pin.
After painting, a 1mm hole was drilled in the base of each post, and a PECO trackpin superglued in place.

Phew. I think that sums it up.
If you (or anyone else) require any more details (or even a set building!) feel free to PM me.
Last edited by DonB on Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don

joshv8

Postby joshv8 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:36 am

Thanks for the reply Don! That gives me a great understanding of how you made them.

Ill have to have a look at replicating my own in the coming weeks. Cheers!
Josh

Halsted

Postby Halsted » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:15 am

Very impressive ! Congrats.

I only have five Hornby 0-4-0... :oops:

DonB

Postby DonB » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:40 pm

Thanks Halstead.
I only have two 0-4-0 locomotives, a tiny wee Caledonian 0F and a strange-looking Lima USA type, which isn't really an 0-4-0...
Incidentally, the loco fleet has grown somewhat since that photo was taken in 2008; there are currently several more on preorder.
Don

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”