DonB's Loft Layout: Ruddington GCR

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
js1975

Re: DonB's Loft Layout: Ruddington GCR

Postby js1975 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:44 am

Excellent progress. I have enjoyed reading through the thread and see things evolve - with Sooty!

Trevor

Postby Trevor » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:46 pm

Hi Don,

youre welcome! The layout looks awesome. I dare not show my boys incase they expect the same from me... :-)

Thank you, a track plan would be great.

Merry Xmas

iankemp

Postby iankemp » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:57 am

Liking the latest pics!

DonB

Postby DonB » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:15 am

Hi folks (those of you who are still with me, that is!)... :wink:

A couple of days ago, I managed to get a little more scenic work done. I laid a couple of grass mats. After leaving them for a couple of days to dry, we had appear -
Fencing!
It is temporarily fixed, as the WS scatter, fine leaf foliage, etc. that I bought recently (my wallet still hurts) will shortly be going down.

Looking South. The fenceline at the far end marks roughly where the embankment and bridge (#299A) will be sited.

Looking North. If the fence looks wonky, that's because it is... :roll:
I thought I could get away with a hole every 4th fence post, but I was wrong. Never mind, I'll know better next time.

Towards the (incomplete) car park & approach road. The (incomplete) bus turning circle is just visible.
The area in the immediate foreground will be the footpath leading to Bridge #299, a.k.a. Fifty Steps Bridge.

Other developments:

- The scratchbuilt 'extra' building is now complete. It is just awaiting fitment of LED lights.
- A set of Relay Cabinets have been purchased. I have made a little concrete base for these, but I'm not happy with it - It's probably too large.
- The 10 YMRV/ Hatchette Mk.1s that I bought ages ago have now entered service, following a repaint of the roofs and underframes, and the addition of numbers, BR crests, etc.
- Two new diesel locomotives have been acquired from a well-known Liverpool-based retailer. These will feature in the next update.
They aren't really special, or significant, but feel free to take a guess at what they are...! :wink:
Last edited by DonB on Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:51 am

Hi Don, looking good! I think I would try to do something - even if it's just a case of applying a dark wash followed by some grass fibres - to the border of the ballast and the mat. At the minute it looks exceedingly tidy and sharp, and perhaps some blurring of the lines might look more natural? That one suggestion/quibble aside, excellent work!

As for the diesels... I know you find Heljan a continuing temptation so...Classes 16 & 23?

Keep the updates coming!

G

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:22 am

I'm still with you Don,

I think you've done a super job of merging the grass into your back scenes - it's difficult to
see the join and gives a feeling of space, acres of space ...... almost enough space for a
steam fair !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:18 am

Dad-1 wrote:I think you've done a super job of merging the grass into your back scenes

Enthusiastically seconded!

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:24 am

Sunday mornings are all about kicking your feet up on the sofa, mug of coffee in hand, little one idly playing in the corner and leisurely reading through someone's build thread. I'm not sure I've ever looked right through your thread DonB but this Sunday morning rectified that.

It's brilliant stuff and you have some beautiful locos to haul the stock round. I reached more than half way through your thread when you made a comment that you had lost interest in the project. I'm glad that further posts have come since and has involved scenic detailing of the layout - it has brought the whole thing to life and with your elegant prose of witnessing the diesels trundle in and out of the station and capturing their arrivals makes the whole thing a pleasure to read and look at.

Keep up the great work DonB, I will continue on this journey with you. If anything I'm delighted to find someone who has a similar build speed button as my own. :lol:

Paul

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:55 am

Black-Marlin wrote:
Dad-1 wrote:I think you've done a super job of merging the grass into your back scenes

Enthusiastically seconded!

I'll third that, it just goes to show that grass mats aren't obsolete in these days of static grass. Makes me feel better about the one I have stashed away. :D

DonB

Postby DonB » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:42 am

Hi folks,

Many thanks for all your wonderful comments! I shall address them in order...

Gavin (Black-Marlin):
I think I would try to do something... ...to the border of the ballast and the mat. At the minute it looks exceedingly tidy and sharp...

I agree.
The intention is to have a "blend" of WS ground cover along those edges, much like I've done with the fence next to the approach road on Page 13 "Scenery & Greenery!".
I know you find Heljan a continuing temptation...

You know me too well! :D :wink: :lol:
All will be revealed shortly!

Geoff T (Dad-1):
...almost enough space for a steam fair !!

Now, there's an idea! This might be an ideal time to dust off & build those very old Keil Kraft (remember them?) traction engines.

carnehan (Paul):
What wonderful comments. Thank you, sir!
Is your build speed button marked "glacial" too?! :wink: :lol:

nickbrad:
Those grass mats are the Gaugemaster ones, which are produced with static grass fibres. (I think they are made by Noch for Gaugemaster).

Once again, thank you for all those excellent comments!
I hope to get a little more done on Thursday - I have a long weekend break coming up, so I expect at least two days out of the four will be spent working on the layout.
Don

DonB

Postby DonB » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:38 pm

The new arrivals. :)

NBL Class 16 D8401:

EE Class 23 D5900:

D5900 and her (older!) rebuilt sister D5903:

Last edited by DonB on Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:04 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:As for the diesels... I know you find Heljan a continuing temptation so...Classes 16 & 23?

G

I'm thinking of giving up the day job and taking a carnival tent on a holiday beach, where I will gaze into a crystal ball and tell accurate fortunes.

DonB

Postby DonB » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:05 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:As for the diesels... I know you find Heljan a continuing temptation so...Classes 16 & 23?

When I read that reply, I had a chuckle.
A couple of thoughts went through my head - The first was "Am I that predictable?" The second was "Gavin must be psychic!"

Black-Marlin wrote:I'm thinking of giving up the day job and taking a carnival tent on a holiday beach, where I will gaze into a crystal ball and tell accurate fortunes.

That one made me laugh out loud!
You wouldn't happen to know next week's Lottery results would you?! :wink: :lol:
Don

Marcus

Postby Marcus » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:33 am

Hi don. Just looking at your layout from the link you sent with your comment on my build. The layout looks fantastic and your scenery looks excellent, I think your backdrop looks wicked, that's something I haven't yet looked at on my layout. My only criticism really is that you don't have enough loco's! Seriously though, what a collection. Makes my collection of 5 pail in comparison, very,very, impressive.
I also noted that you said you have lost interest in you build, is that still the case? Seems such a shame after all your time and effort that's obviously gone into it. If you have, I'll give you 100 quid for all the loco's, rolling stock etc, but only if you pay for delivery....Lol :D

DonB

Postby DonB » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:19 am

Today, I spent a few hours working on the layout.
It was mainly track and wheel cleaning (how I hate that tedious, but oh-so-necessary chore), as well as dealing with a couple of sticking points in the fiddleyard.

I did manage to build a PCB board for the LED lighting to fit in that extra building. After installation, I placed it on the platform to see how it looked:

It looks pretty good, I think... The brickwork appearing slightly newer than the original GC structures:

I still have no clue what the building's purpose was. The logical explanation would be that it was a signing-on point/ mess office for train crews working to the Ordnance Storage Depot. Any ideas? (By the way, it was not a toilet block!)

Tomorrow looks like it will be spent underneath the layout, wiring in this, and the other buildings, and getting molten solder dripped in my eye.
What fun. :lol:
Last edited by DonB on Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”