DonB's Loft Layout: Ruddington GCR

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Blue_2

Re: DonB's Loft Layout: Ruddington GCR

Postby Blue_2 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:35 am

Looking good Don! Would you like some Sprinter with your oil?! :lol:
Weekend toy, Victor XL231's blog- http://victorxl231.blogspot.com/ Admittedly not a train, but classic, British and LOUD!
My OO work in progress: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36766

DonB

Postby DonB » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:19 pm

The photos in my last post are now working. :D

Despite numerous attempts to get the Forum to accept resized images, it was having none of it... I finally succeeded by taking a screen capture of my photos, and making sure that the images were LESS than 800 x 600. I then uploaded them to Photobucket, where all seems well now.

The strange thing is, other Forums accept the resized images, but not NRM.

Incidentally, the screen capture software I used is called Screenhunter 6, and is free.
Last edited by DonB on Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

StevieDay

Postby StevieDay » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:02 am

The Pullman sitting in the station looks good.

The view through the bridge looks ok. But once the backscene is in, the view through the bridge will give a greater sense of depth.
Regards,
Steve

My Layout;- Rayne St, Fictional N-Gauge Layout viewtopic.php?t=30856

iankemp

Postby iankemp » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:48 pm

Looking good, looks like Chris Kringle was very good to you. The pullman looks good parked up there.

DonB

Postby DonB » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:50 pm

A smallish update:

Yesterday, the backscenes went up. Now the scenic work can commence!
A massive "thank you" to my partner who did most of the work, I merely checked to see all was well, and supplied the liquid refreshment in the form of copious quantities of tea. :wink:
The detail on those backscenes bears only a passing resemblance to the Ruddington environs, but it'll do. The key features are there, and, as I've said before, it beats looking at a blank white wall.

Photos coming soon...

In other news, I have decided to remove the DCC chips from my Blue Pullman.
The general consensus seems to be that doing this will improve the running on a DC layout. We'll see.

Don
Last edited by DonB on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don

DonB

Postby DonB » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:31 am

As promised, some photos of the new backscenes.

The ubiquitous view of the station from Green Lane bridge. New trees to the fore.

Station from ground level.

Looking North.

In other news:
I have fitted lights to a couple of Hornby buffer stops.
The 'stops themselves have had an overlay of Balsa wood fitted to them after the lights were installed. The lights are small surface-mount red LEDs salvaged from an old DVD player, with a suitable resistor wired in series.
They were insanely bright (even running on a 2.2v supply, which according to the DVD player's schematic, is the correct Vss).

The experiment with removing the Blue Pullman's DCC decoders was not a great success.
Those of you who have one unmodified running on a DC layout will know that the controller has to be turned a long way before the unit moves, and as such, the top speed is slightly lower than it should be (by my shaky calculations, she potters along at a scale 75 MPH).
However, there is a trade-off, as it were... As the unit is slow to respond to the controller, it means that the car lights remain on after the unit has been brought to a halt. To me that looks (and is) more realistic than an overly-high top speed.
I have seen it reported on other forums that the slow-speed control with an unmodified unit on DC is not as good as on DCC. In my experience, the superb running quality of the Bachmann mechanism makes this barely noticeable. After I thoroughly cleaned my track (!) the unit behaved impeccably.
I hope my Blue Pullman-related ramblings are of help to those who have one, or are contemplating getting one. (There are still some about, so be quick if you want one!)

I have also been refurbishing and restoring some of the trees from my old layout.
They still look OK - From a distance! However, they will benefit from a new application of Woodlands Scenics foliage/ fine turf.
Following thomasg87's advice (incidentally, his layout Paggminster is well worth a look), I finally bit the bullet and constructed my Woodlands Scenics tree kits that have been lying in the cupboard for ages. I am very pleased with them; they can be seen in the background of the photo of the buffer stop.

Work still to do: Finish the station yard/ car park, erect fencing. Decide what to do with the token bit of greenery in front of the station.
Think that's it for now...

Don
Last edited by DonB on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Don

Blue_2

Postby Blue_2 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:35 am

Some nice work there, the trees look really good. And I like your recycling of LED's, as a Yorkshireman I approve of such cost-saving measures! :D
Weekend toy, Victor XL231's blog- http://victorxl231.blogspot.com/ Admittedly not a train, but classic, British and LOUD!

thomasg87

Postby thomasg87 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:42 am

Hey Don,
Thanks for the king comment,
just had a browse of the update - the trees and the backscene look awesome!! Very impressed. Is it a photgraphic backscene? and where did you get it from??
One of the things i'm rubbish at is backscenes! :D I have fallen into the old trap of painting mine white/blue :( I'm no artistic painter!

I have toyed with the idea of the Blue Pullman, but could never make up my mind...

looking forward to more updates,

Cheers,
Thomas
"I think you're wandering into the realms of fantasy, Jones."

DonB

Postby DonB » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:17 am

Thanks for the comments, guys! :D

Thomas - The backscenes are indeed photographic ones; I obtained them from International Models via online order.
I'm no artist either - I can just about follow an Airfix kit painting guide! - hence the backscenes... I do know an Art student from the local University who kindly offered to paint something bespoke for me (for nothing, I might add - The caveat was that she used it for her thesis, but I declined, as I felt guilty about not paying her for the work).
Glad you like my first attempt at Woodlands Scenics tree kits (IMO, yours are much better!), I just twisted the armatures into what I felt looked like a tree shape, then proceeded to stick foliage clumps on the branches until I was satisfied with what I had...

Graham - If you're impressed with that little bit of cost-saving, you'll like what's in the pipeline! :wink:
I can't say much about it yet, as it is just an embryo of an idea rattling around in my head, but initial experiments are encouraging.

Don
Last edited by DonB on Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don

acs1979

Postby acs1979 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:54 pm

Hi Don,

I've really enjoyed reading through this thread. How you built the bridge and stairs is really inspirational. I want to start a new layout myself now!

I'm particularly envious of your collection of rolling stock too!

Regards,

Tony

Blue_2

Postby Blue_2 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:24 am

I am now officially intrigued Don...! :lol:

omendamo

Postby omendamo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:19 pm

Just finished reading all 12 pages, definitely worth it!

This work is an inspiration for me. I hope I can get half the level of detail you have.

Keep up the good work!

And feel free to add more pics :D

Damo.

DonB

Postby DonB » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:07 am

Hi chaps,

Thank you for your comments - Much appreciated! :D I shall address each one in due course...

Following yet another rethink, the covered stairway is being rebuilt again. ("What's he playing at?!" I hear you cry.)
The idea that I had and which I mentioned several pages back was not a success. Or rather, I was not happy with the result.
This new method seems to work OK (he says, hopefully), and the results were promising. Work has started today on fabricating new sides for the existing stairs.

Tony - My collection has been built up over many years. My first loco was bought for me for my 3rd or 4th birthday.
Go ahead with a layout. It doesn't have to be massive - Even a small shunting plank can provide an absorbing model! :wink:

Damo - I daresay I could have incorporated more detail. Particularly on the underside of my bridge.
If I was to build it again, I would. This layout is more of an "overall picture" than a "super-detailed rivet counter's paradise*" hence the use of a lot of modelling materials from a bygone age (Superquick brickpaper anyone?).
More pics to come! I may even do a video at some point... :shock:

Graham - The "impressive bit of recycling" is nothing to do with my layout, but it is aircraft - related.
Yesterday's experiments caused many raised eyebrows, mainly from my cats... :lol:

More to follow.
Now, where did I leave those white SMD LEDs? :?

Don

(*No offence to those who build such models - I admire them for their patience and skill.)
Last edited by DonB on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don

Blue_2

Postby Blue_2 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:18 am

DonB wrote:
Graham - The "impressive bit of recycling" is nothing to do with my layout, but it is aircraft - related.
Yesterday's experiments caused many raised eyebrows, mainly from my cats... :lol:

More to follow.
Now, where did I leave those white SMD LEDs? :?

Do I detect an aircraft model with running lights in the offing?! 8)

DonB

Postby DonB » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:18 am

Small update:

I've been fiddling with the electrics (again). Today, I was feeling adventurous, so I pressed on with some wiring, and completed two small electronic projects (diesel horn, and steam whistle) and installed them. Finding places to install the speakers (2 per unit, at opposite ends of the layout) should be a giggle...

Blue_2 wrote:Do I detect an aircraft model with running lights in the offing?! 8)

No, but now you mention it, I may have enough "recycled" parts to do something along those lines! :D
I have previously fitted lights to a couple of model aircraft, including flashing anti-collision beacons (simple circuit using a 555 timer).
Don

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”