Ffrwd Locks. OO WR in North Wales (Wrexham) C1952-1953

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
sarah

Ffrwd Locks. OO WR in North Wales (Wrexham) C1952-1953

Postby sarah » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:54 pm

Ffrwd Locks. (To be set around 1952-1953)

This layout is based on fact. The GWR had a line from Wrexham, up the Moss Valley to the Ffrwd Ironworks (also served by the LNER).

Ffrwd is a small village or hamlet North West of Wrexham, near Cefn-y-bedd.
The area was very industrial, with coal mines, brick works, iron works and quarries.

A canal (The Ellesmere Canal) was planned to run from a place on the River Mersey near Whitby, to near Shrewsbury on the River Severn. This canal would pass through Chester, pass very near to Wrexham (at Poolmouth), and pass by the industrial areas around Ruabon on its way south. A branch was to run from Poolmouth to a large reservoir at Coed Talon, via a flight of locks at Ffrwd.

This canal was not built as planned, largely due to the inflation in the economy after the Napolionic wars causing construction costs to increase substantially. What was built is now known as the Llangollen Canal, and part of the Shropshire Union Canal. (The place near Whitby is now known as Ellesmere Port.) A part of the branch was also built at Ffrwd, and remains can be found, despite part of the canal being built over by a railway, which is now also derelict and lifted. (The Great Central Railway Westminster Colliery Branch, which also served Ffrwd Ironworks.)

This is the inspiration for the Ffrwd Locks model railway.

FFRWD AREA MAP 1REAL LIFE HISTORY.

For the purpose of the model, it is assumed that the Ellesmere Canal was completed as planned, and the settlement at Ffrwd grew large enough to warrant a passenger service (the GWR lines in the Moss Valley only had a passenger service as far up as Moss Crossing.) I have called the station Ffrwd Locks, inspired by the station at Ellesmere Port which was originally known as Whitby Locks.

The Ironworks prospered (instead of Brymbo Works, and other industry has also had its lifetime extended into the early 1950s.

The GWR Moss valley line was extended to Coed Talon (Instead of the Brymbo Line) and was a joint line with the LMS from Ffrwd Locks Station (Instead of Brymbo) to Coed Talon.

So, the line from Wrexham (using the line of a former tramway) comes in under the LNER Mineral Railway bridge and the adjacent canal aqueduct into the station. The Coed Talon line leaves over the level crossing and head Northwards. There is a branch to Ffrwd Ironworks (Freight only) which leaves alongside the line from Wrexham, but soon curves sharply to the "left" and climbs to cross the canal on a swing bridge, and so into the works. There is a junction with the LNER branch here.

The Level crossing and the aqueduct/LNER bridge are the "scenic breaks".

FFRWD AREA MAP 2 FICTIONAL.

This model has had a long existence, the first Ffrwd Locks was a collection of Superquick card models, but a permanent baseboard, etc. never happened. A batch of Ratio plastic kits was acquired, but except for reading the instructions, remained in their boxes until early 2008.

The current model has a board made from two pieces of plywood (about 6mm) on a softwood frame, with another piece of ply under the joint. The backscene boards are also plywood, as is the box which covers the model (A front and a lid.). All timber was recycled.

Original Track Plan. Ffrwd Locks.

Cork has been stuck to the plywood (both Tiles and the Hornby Cork Roll.) The track has been laid using Gaugemaster Ballasted Underlay, and is all second hand Peco Streamline, with a mixture of live and insulfrog points. More ballast has been added using PVA glue, mainly between the underlay to fill in the gap.

Most buildings are Ratio and Wills kits, most from the batch that I had acquired earlier. Most have some modifications, to make them a bit different.
The station platform is softwood faced with Wills brick sheet, and surfaced with fine wet and dry (Tarmac areas) and Metcalfe paving slabs. The station building is on a base made from scribed 1mm plastic card. Fencing is Ratio Spear fencing. Name boards are by Coopercraft.

The coal bunkers are built from separate sleepers, and were made some time ago. I think they may be SMP parts.

The Aqueduct carrying the canal over the road and railway is made from corn flake packets, and is based on part of the Pontcysllte Aqueduct, at Trefor.

Some of the groundworks are corn flake packet card and more softwood strips.

What little greenery has appeared so far is Lichen, and various scatters, and PVA glue.

Rolling stock is mainly second hand, and the small collection from the first Ffrwd. Mainly GWR motive power, but with a J72 from the LNER (connection at Ffrwd Works with the LNER), and a 3f tank from the LMS (For model purposes, a joint GWR and LMS line runs from Ffrwd to Coed Talon, but at the moment is out of use. The line to Coed Talon is "out of use" as there isn't enough room on the allocated board!)
GWR locos include 45XX tanks, 2721 Pannier tank, 57XX Pannier tanks, Dean Goods and Collet Goods 0-6-0 tender locos.
There is a collection of coaches, including B sets and an Autocoach, and a selection of wagons.

The model is still under construction, progress is slowed at present by the overhaul of several Hornby Dublo and Tri-ang locos and stock, etc, for our other railway (Which has no board as yet!)

UPDATE June 2011: A Home move has happened. The model will be re-located "soon", and then I can get at it and do some much needed work.

UPDATE Feb 2012: Ffrwd has been re-located. Work is being carried on.

The setting will be changed to 1952-1953, as the Royal Mail stuff I have is marked EIIR...

UPDATE DECEMBER 2017....photos are being replaced! This may take some time.... ;)

This incarnation of Ffrwd Locks may have to be re-built to fit the current location.....

UPDATE JUNE 2018...photos are now replaced....some have had to be replaced twice, as one hosting site changed the links!
Last edited by sarah on Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 18 times in total.

headshot119

Postby headshot119 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:14 pm

Wow A great start. I'll be following this with interest as I live in Wrexham.

santene

Postby santene » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:06 pm

thats one hell of a station
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy

sarah

Postby sarah » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:37 pm

Thanks for the comments...

Ffrwd Locks Station Building.

The Station Building and canopy is modified Ratio. (The "Castle Cary" based kit.) The canopy supports are made from Evergreen Styrene tube (2 sizes) and strip. The rings in the brackets were cut from tube...Otherwise the canopy seems to lack any visible means of support!

The replacement slate roof and slate hung gables are Wills slate sheets.The original kit roof was smooth, like roofing felt!

The building is painted in GWR colours, and the stonework to resemble local sandstone.

The Station Building is to be mounted on a paved area, this has been made by scribing slabs onto 1mm Plastic card (Evergreen), and painting, first with GWR Dark Stone, then acrylic Green/Grey, Neutral Grey, Black (wiped over with a rag) and Matt Varnish (Old Humbrol.) (Sandstone slabs.)

The dimensions for the platform edging and surfacing slabs came from "Great Western Way", a HMRS publication covering all sorts of details, livery notes ,etc. from the GWR. (My main source.)

I have been producing poster boards for the model. Based, in part, on Tiny Signs to getthe size. These are produced on the Computer and Printer, on Photo Paper, and given a coat of matt varnish...(The 'Phone Box is by Merit.(Now PECO Scenecraft.)

Note that the "extension" of the Ratio Castle Cary building has been changed to a flat wall by using the "front" wall and filling the gaps for the corner stones (Quoins) with Milliput filler, scribed for stonework. I used the "extension" roof for the canopy.
Most of the canopy valencing is part of a Wills Garage kit (The two garages-joined together kit, made without the two internal walls which went into the bits box!) Brackets and supports from plastc strip and tube.
The station nameplate is from the Cooper Craft GWR Signal Box Nameplate kit (which contains plenty of spare parts!)

I fitted a cut down skylight (supplied in the kit for over the Gents...) to the booking hall, as otherwise there are no windows to this part of the building.
Also the booking hall doors have been converted to double doors (Thin ones!) to make it easier to get through with luggage!
Last edited by sarah on Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:46 am, edited 8 times in total.

sarah

More Progress...

Postby sarah » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:06 pm

I have found time to test-lay the track on the station board.
This involved cutting the second hand Peco Streamline flexi to size, and fitting fishplates.
I have used a set of Xuron track cutters. They are OK, but don't expect a "fishplate ready" cut every time. A lot less hassle than a hacksaw though!

Next work on the board will be fixing down the cork roll (Hornby). I did want cork tiles, as they are already flat, but couldn't find any. (B&Q, Wickes, etc. had none. Out of fashion it seems. :roll: )

Station signs are from the printer on photo paper, and a coating of matt varnish. Again based on a pack from Tiny Signs, but they did not include the "Booking Hall & Way Out" and " Waiting Room & Ladies" signs, so I had to make some up.

Benches are Cooper Craft, with a short bench made from two CC ends, and plastic strips.

Lamps under the canopy and on the gable end by the Gents are from Ratio Swan Neck lamps.

People from Slaters/Merit (Merit figures seem to be the same as Slaters (only painted!), as I found when I bought the figures a "few" years ago!

Last edited by sarah on Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:47 am, edited 6 times in total.

blackpool_fy2

Postby blackpool_fy2 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:36 pm

That station's fantastic, Sarah. I can tell you have an eye for detail!! Keep up the great work. :D
Thomas

beerandpies

Postby beerandpies » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:49 pm

I had a pack of cork tiles in my hand in Wickes today... Must be a lot of modellers in your area. Heh.

The pictures are excellent btw
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

sarah

Got Some!

Postby sarah » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:44 pm

Well.

Checked out Wickes in Chester...I now have some cork tiles!

I have just been cutting and sticking the cork roll and some bits of tile to the station board.

I have acquired some Gaugemaster Ballast underlay. I'm thinking of using this for the "main" lines, at least. I'll see how far a roll goes.

I'm now torn between making a representation of Trap Points, or buying the Peco ones. £7.00 for something that de-rails errant stock? :roll:

I have started building the Signal Box, Ratio again. I have a detailing kit, levers, etc., and have so far cut the hole in the floor and fitted the quadrants.

The plank detail on the floor will have to go, Brown linoleum flooring should be there!

Last month's Railway Modeller had an article on a modded Ratio Box. I am thinking of using some ideas from that. (I don't need to knock two together, as in another layout featured...)

Stock is mounting up. I am thinking of building a continuous run on a "portable" (i.e. not fixed down, and stored on end) board. This will give the locos room to stretch their "legs"...
Last edited by sarah on Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

DonB

Postby DonB » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:09 am

That station building is incredible - Looking at a couple of those photos, I had to keep telling myself that it's a model! :lol:

Great work. Well done! :D :D 8) 8)

Don
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

davek

Postby davek » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:05 am

Excellent work on the station, lots of detail, great stuff.
Ffrwd Locks - :lol: :lol: very good!

sarah

Postby sarah » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:25 pm

Thanks for the comments.

One big tip for realistic photos is...take the photos out doors if possible, or use natural daylight, i.e. a window, possibly an open window. :wink:

In light of the experience using Hornby cork roll, I'd use cork tiles! :roll:

As it is rolled, the Hornby stuff takes a lot of sticking down. Weights are essential, just to cut it too size, as it keeps trying to roll up again.

It MAY be possible to Iron it flat....but tiles are already flat!

Anyway, the cork is stuck down, and the first bits of track including one point are down.

The Gaugemaster ballast underlay shed a bit, so have a container and something to pick the bits up. (Useful for filling in later.)

Following the instructions on the box, I cut a strip up for the point, and glued it onto the sleepers. It actually works OK! (Don't forget to allow for the tie bar and a clearance hole for the drive pin if you are using under baseboard mechanisms for the points.)

It looks OK, and that's as supplied on a bare cork board! After painting, and with the landscaping done, it should look very good.
Last edited by sarah on Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:49 am, edited 5 times in total.

sarah

Postby sarah » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:23 pm

I have been busy on the layout.

All track on the Station Board has now been laid. The 5m Gaugemaster ballast roll did the lot, with about 5-6 inches left!.

More cork tiles have been used to bring the "ground" up a bit, as the ballast is a bit thick/high. (I was going to go the "traditional" ballasting route, and so already had the cork done... impulse while in Modelzone to get ballast on a roll, to see if it would be OK for the "other" layout. )(Note to self. Next time, lay the track on the board, then cork around it. Would save a layer of cork.)

Loose ballast is being used on the ground, and to fill in any gaps.

The Coal "Staithes"/ bunkers are in place, as is some "spilled" coal (Shot blasting compound.).

The P. Way stores wagon (Grounded Ratio Mink) is also in place, along with a short bit of track for the PW trolley (when I get/make one...)

The platform is coming together, clearance tests with a 45XX meant that the coping stones at the "down" end had to be "crowbarred" a bit to avoid the front footplate hitting them. :wink:

The foundation of the platform is wood strip. Front wall from Wills Plastic brick card.
The coping stones have been made from 1mm Plastic card.
The Down end slope has been paved with Metcalfe paving stones, and the platform surface is fine wet & dry abrasive (used dry!). The Station building (and it's bit of platform surface, etc.) is removable.

The Up end of the platform will have the water tower/crane on/in it. This is a Ratio kit, that will need building first! :lol:

Also, I need to build a goods shed, something along the lines of the Peco N gauge shed kit, but a bit bigger, both in scale and size.
Last edited by sarah on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

sarah

More photos.

Postby sarah » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:54 pm

The station building from the coal yard...

A view down the platform..

Last edited by sarah on Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:50 am, edited 4 times in total.

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:35 pm

Amazing progress...you work fast! It's looking great. I especially like the station building. Are the coal staithes scratchbuilt? because they look better than any kit.
Keep up the good work

sarah

Postby sarah » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:18 pm

The photos were taken last night (Thursday).

Deans Goods (Mainline), van and Brake (Mainline).

Water tower/crane (Ratio) under construction. (Now to be ground mounted, as it looked too tall on the Up end of the platform.)

The base of the signal box (Ratio) can be seen. I'm still not sure where it is going. It should go where it is in the pics, but is a bit near the edge of the world...

The coal staithes were made a while ago (I made up some Superquick, etc. buildings and had some stock, but never built a fixed layout, until now!). They were made from individual sleepers meant for "build it yourself" track. (SMP I think, from a model shop in Bedford (Bedfordshire). I have also used these under the grounded wagon (P.Way stores), and a coal bunker for the signal box.

Coal was something like cork, topped up with Shot Blasting Compound.

Today I started painting the track. Dark Rust and Sleeper Grime (Railmatch).
Last edited by sarah on Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”