Stairfoot Road (modern N)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
leopard

Stairfoot Road (modern N)

Postby leopard » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:51 pm

ok finally laid a bit of track, so starting the thread.

intended to be modern image, and basically mainline, in effect two loops round a 24'x13' board.

needed to start somewhere, and since this is using the boards designed for a 4mm layout there is a slight drop that needed bridging. soooo.

slightly blurred pic of the finished bridge

overview showing the first, and currently only, point, the track is held down with pva until ballasting, hence the paint pots holding it down.

closeup of the bridge deck, you can more or less make out the gentle curve in the distance.

other end of the curved section, only the closer track is fixed down currently, the curve is approx 28" radius so not expecting to have problems there

closeup of the bridge, peco standard truss sides, custom under tray and deck, custom bridge abutments, pleased with the brick effects, up close a bit rough but from a distance its fine.

no pictures of a train, since um, i don't actually have one yet. the point is drilled for a motor, but its not yet installed.

started some of the scenic work, hence all the polystyrene about the place, needs some plaster adding etc.

track is C55 laid on a bed of 2mm polystyrene sheet (2 layers) awaiting ballasting and painting. the picture of the point shows the first attempt at this, a dark grey colour.

ok so its basic, currently one length of track and a point, second length ready to go down, six more waiting, need a few more points first though. was planning to do a single circuit first then the second, but now leaning towards taking longer and doing both loops at once.

ho hum, its a start at least.

at some point a train may even be added.

pleased with the bridge though

blooregard

Postby blooregard » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:58 pm

Tools, glue, polystyrene and track everywhere, happy days!.

not a bad start at all, I think its a good idea to concentrate on a small area (i.e. your bridge) and get it fairly well finished to inspire you to do the rest.
Punctured bicycle on a hillside desolate.

leopard

Postby leopard » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:16 pm

worst bit is.. this is the tidy bit of the loft.. baseboard is huge, still trying to work out where all the crap came from

santene

Postby santene » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:50 am

my dad throws a tantrum at me when my work bench is slightly untidy then seeing other peoples workbenches mine is a filing cabinet compared to theirs
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy

leopard

Postby leopard » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:47 pm

no pics but..

got the second length of track down, at this rate I'll be finished as hell freezes over. however had a go at weathering the track.

rails and the concrete sleepers painted dark grey, but in a somewhat slapdash fashion, the rails are fully covered but the sleepers are 'so so', if the plastic shows through no big deal. cleaned the top of the rail head.

then the rails lightly drybrushed with 'rust' to add a hint of colour, basically to take the edge of the grey, this also ensures its not a consistent colour.

then the sleepers drybrushed heavily with a concrete colour, making them looka bit like dirty concrete and less like plastic.

finally more brushing rust, more heavily this time but just on the pandrol clips. still leaving them a very dark colour though.

it looks different, but i think pretty good. needs the ballast adding and weathering as well (which means i need some fine ballast) but it should look very nice and not at all like plastic.

also planning on ordering a locomotive this week so I can get the electrics sorted out.

hopefully pics tommorrow of the track effect, on its baked earth base colour.

leopard

Postby leopard » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:43 pm

track pics

before and after shot looking at the curve

back towards the bridge.

needs ballasting but i'm happy. takes ages though.

loco is on hold, shop had sold out. such is life.

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:31 pm

Great work with the track I must say, your making some great progress! 8)

Keep up the good work! I like the bridge! :D
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"

santene

Postby santene » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:39 pm

that looks like a good bridge
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

leopard

Postby leopard » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:41 pm

I'm very happy with the bridge, even though it seemed to take and age. peco sides, 2mm card deck and plasticard abutments.

the abutments need some more work, specifically some plastic strip for the concrete deck support blocks (painted of course) which i forgot to add when building.

it will get a set of brackets to carry a pipe along the near side at some point, tis a way of filling a few hours.

the track looks a lot darker than the pictures make it look, needs more dry brushing with the concrete colour really.

only another 21' of it to paint, mind you most of that needs to go down. and thats only half of one of the twin loops.

santene

Postby santene » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:44 pm

wow thats a lot of work for one bridge!

leopard

Postby leopard » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:27 pm

tell me about it, but this will be potentially right below one of the control panels, so it was worth doing.

it now has the concrete base added below the bridge deck and it looks a lot better for it.

there will be two more over this valley. i figured it was expensive in terms of time, but cheap in terms of materials so what the hell

santene

Postby santene » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:57 pm

leopard wrote: i figured it was expensive in terms of time, but cheap in terms of materials so what the hell
i figured you lost me??? :lol:

leopard

Postby leopard » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:00 pm

it took ages, but i had time, the bridge cost a total of about £1.50 for half the pack of peco bridge sides, and about £1.50 for the plastic. so materials were cheap.

i'm on a slender budget so these things matter, but i have the time to fiddle

santene

Postby santene » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:49 pm

leopard wrote:it took ages, but i had time, the bridge cost a total of about £1.50 for half the pack of peco bridge sides, and about £1.50 for the plastic. so materials were cheap.

i'm on a slender budget so these things matter, but i have the time to fiddle
ye same im on one point a wekk if im lucky and thats about it

leopard

Postby leopard » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:24 pm

one point a week your budget is bigger than mine then...

i'm building this on maybe £30 every four weeks, though thankfully the loop I'm currently laying only needs four points total.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”