Time to Tear It Up & Start Again ! New Steam Layout Pla

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Black-Marlin

Re: Time to Tear It Up & Start Again ! New Steam Layout Pla

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:08 pm

Gareth, good to see progress being made on the shop front. Or even shop floor. And I'll be interested to see where your new loft direction takes you. 0 Gauge, compared to 00 Gauge, is a scale of multiples: scale in mm is multiplied by 0.75; price of a wagon is multipled by 5; price of a locomotive is multiplied by 10... :shock:

Looking forward therefore to seeing your 00-gauge work resume!

Gavin

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:27 am

Hello DrS,
That Shop-Lay-out is coming along nicely. Just a thought, but have you considered building a small OO or N demontration-board to take around your local schools etc - should drum-up some extra business - perhaps run-it in parallel with a Maths Class by using Train-Timestables. Many Thanks also for helping-out Gavin who, I think, was just looking for an excuse NOT to do "His Project" :) :P :lol: . Take Care, mate,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

Lewis Nash

Postby Lewis Nash » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:33 pm

hi Dr Strog,

Just looked on Sleepers and Shunters for the first time, I would like to say the online shop has a good layout and is easy to navigate,very well done! :D
Nice to see a hobby being turned into a business as well! :D
About the shop layout,beware as the track in the shop window may warp in sun over time so a blind may prevent this :wink:
good look with future projects and models,
Lewis :)
NASHTON
website- http://nashton.webs.com/index.htm

ARPLEY STREET
http://arpleystreetmodelrailway.webs.com/
class 60 preservation group-http://www.c60pg.co.uk/
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:55 am

Ah Lewis, cheers mate, good call on the window, hadn't thought of that ! Thanks for the comments on the website, it all seems to be working ok so far !! Anyone notice my advert in Hornby Mag this month ? :)

Also a fine idea from Michael there too... I do have a primary school in close proximity, so I'm hoping they'll all have train sets for Xmas, and then the dads will get in on it too !

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:07 pm

So you own Sleepers and Shunters?
How about my 90% discount? :wink:
I agree Sleepers and Shunters has a good site.

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:22 pm

How about 90p discount? :wink:

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:44 pm

Ok I will send you 10p, via paypal, for my bag of Grey Extra Fine Ballast. :) :wink:

Lewis Nash

Postby Lewis Nash » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:47 pm

Hi Dr Strog

I got the latest Hornby Magazine on Saturday and i was reading the adverts as usual to see if there are any bargains to be found :P ,and saw the LMS black shunter and before reading the title and info I knew it was Sleepers ans Shunters! :)

Regards,
Lewis
NASHTON

ARPLEY STREET
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]

Lewis Nash

Postby Lewis Nash » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:49 pm

DrStroganoff wrote:Ah Lewis, cheers mate, good call on the window, hadn't thought of that ! Thanks for the comments on the website, it all seems to be working ok so far !! Anyone notice my advert in Hornby Mag this month ? :)

Also a fine idea from Michael there too... I do have a primary school in close proximity, so I'm hoping they'll all have train sets for Xmas, and then the dads will get in on it too !

Hopefully XBOX mania wouldnt have taken over their minds! :lol:
NASHTON

ARPLEY STREET
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:18 pm

Hi guys.

It's that time of year again, and I've been up the loft tearing everything up... and this time I'm going one step further and getting rid of the baseboards too... This time, the frames for the baseboards will be fixed the joists rather than on legs, and will cover a large area of the loft... But first I'm going to fit some more lights up there, and 'do it properly' this time, as I'm fed up of unsatisfactory results.

I'm going over to digital (finally) and shall be investing in a Gaugemaster Prodigy system, which to me looks like a good option.

I have been thinning out my collection of stock that is not needed for the new layout. The remaining locos are the streamlined Coronation & coaches, N15 (which will be hauling a Pullman train complete with Observation Coach). Also the LMS Jinty and Diesel Shunter remain.

The other locos have gone... to make way for the new additions to the fleet! So let me introduce you the new roster :

Prototype Deltic - Falcon - Kestrel (Received today.... Wow !!)

Also bought a rake of Bachy MK2's in Blue and Grey, which will be permanently coupled with the 'pipes' type coupling supplied with the coaches (which I was rather impressed with) :

All locos have been fitted with Kadee's, plus the coach at each end of the rake has Kadee's.

So basically the 'plan' for the new layout boils down to DCC Operation, and Kadee fitted stock.

I'm planning on some car carrying wagons at the end of the MK2 rake, to model a 'Motorail' train, plus the layout will feature a Motorail terminal.

Once construction starts I will start a new thread ! :D

tinman

Postby tinman » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:50 pm

That shop window layout on the previous page is looking good, and I'd imagine it'll be very effective at stopping passer's by, it would certainly grab my attention :)

Would I be right in assuming that's hanging basket liner you're using ? It's really effective

Martin.
If at first you don't succeed - hide all evidence that you tried...

I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove a thing ! (Bart Simpson)

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:52 pm

Thanks Martin.

Yep its the old hanging basket liner... Might have gone a bit OTT with it on this layout mind !! But its a quick and easy solution, and it looks good. The backscene board is on now, and a new baseboard has been constructed in the shop, so we now have trains moving in the window ! So now I can sit behind the counter with my controller and drive some locos about :)

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:58 am

Hi Gareth

That's a very impressive - and expensive - roster of new locos! Are you going to invest in some proper stock for them (I'm thinking a nice long rake of maroon Bachmann BR Mk1s behind that Deltic would be awfully pretty, as well as prototypically correct...)? And are there any steamers that have caught your eye in similar fashion (Peppercorns A1 and A2, Robinson O4...)?

Gavin

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:31 am

Hey Gav

I've just had a look at those Bachmann MK1's, they look very nice indeed, and I can picture them behind Deltic! They might have to wait until the new year though... I'm thinking of going for a rake of new Pullmans, which I think would also look pretty good behind Deltic.

The next investment is in one of these Gaugemaster Prodigy DCC set-ups. I cant wait to get cracking on it now !

And as I've said with every layout I've done... "I'm really going to take my time with this one", with me working 6 days a week now, I'm only really going to be tinkering with it on Mondays... So hopefully I can drag the project out over the Winter !

Oh, and as for steamers, I can pretty much say that there is nothing out there which I've got my eye on at the moment... I've managed to resist the Schools and T9's... So I'm doing pretty good !

I think I'm going to be picking up one of the Bachmann 4CEP EMU's when they arrive! They look pretty smart !!

Michael Thornberry

Postby Michael Thornberry » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:19 pm

Hello Gareth,
Some advice, please, in respect of OO Gauge rail. I believe I mentioned that the initial 5 ft to 6 ft of my upcoming Lay-out will be OO Gauge, and the remainder in N Gauge,(Peco 55 Electrofrog). So which track-type would you suggest I model, the 100 or the 75? and should I use Electrofrog points also. The era I'm modelling is 1895-1938, predominately GWR plus a Joint-association with LSW and S&D. The shed-floor is now boarded and I am preparing to insulate and board the ceiling and the walls after installing electric-cabling, fuse-box and power-points. The walls and ceiling will then be painted white so I still have a lot to do before I can commence board-building. Hope business is picking-up at the shop. Many Thanks for any available advice,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”