Time to Tear It Up & Start Again ! New Steam Layout Pla

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
DrStroganoff

Re: Time to Tear It Up & Start Again ! New Steam Layout Pla

Postby DrStroganoff » Tue May 05, 2009 8:21 pm

Looking good Gav !! I've just come home from hobbycraft actually with all the gubbins I need to get airbrushing your new wagon !

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu May 07, 2009 4:35 pm

DrStroganoff wrote:Looking good Gav !! I've just come home from hobbycraft actually with all the gubbins I need to get airbrushing your new wagon !

ooh, anticipation!

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Fri May 15, 2009 11:25 pm

Picture update!

Havent been doing a lot in the loft the last few weeks. All I've done really is add a few more lights and sorted out some wiring.

So heres all of the buildings with lights fitted:

Again, with the flash on to show the area a bit better:

The smoking chimney fired up !

Still havent taken a good picture of the carriage shed, so here it is again

And to finish off, one of the more interesting locos I have acquired recently! I'm rather fond of the Triang transcontinental models.

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri May 15, 2009 11:43 pm

DrStroganoff wrote:And to finish off, one of the more interesting locos I have acquired recently! I'm rather fond of the Triang transcontinental models.

Hey cool, a canal boat! Look at all the portholes down the sides! Doesn't Sarah live on something similar? Although I don't know that hers has the two washing lines erected on the roof... :lol:

G

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Mon May 25, 2009 3:27 pm

Hi guys.. Quick question...

Thats a Hornby Hymek, It is one of the later Margate-produced ones... But it has a problem, and I'm wondering whether some knowledgable person can help me.

Notice the gear that the red arrow is pointing to... the little one in the middle. The loco runs fine for a few minutes, but this gear gradually slips away from the other gears until it is making no contact with them and the motor just spins freely. The gear then just needs pushing back down until it is making contact again.

This part obvioulsy shouldnt move about as freely as it does... so what do you recommend for keeping it in place ?

Thanks in advance

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Mon May 25, 2009 5:00 pm

I had this problem on a King (same drive unit in the tender). The low-tech solution is a drop of Loctite. The better solution is a replacement brass gear, as all their newer designs use. Son of Triangman can no doubt sort you out with one.

Cheers,
Gavin

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Mon May 25, 2009 5:19 pm

I've got a couple of class 25 bogies kicking around with what looks like brass versions of that part. I'll try one of those on and see.

I was thinking maybe a drop of superglue... last resort maybe.

Cheers

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Mon May 25, 2009 11:57 pm

Yeah, why not just glue the little blighter? Clean the bits up first with meths. Could use Alraldite but take the big gears off first because it gets everywhere :)
Good luck!

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Tue May 26, 2009 9:07 am

A tiny drop of roket superglue applied with a pin seems to have done the job. Although the loco has now developed the hornby 'squeal'. But it ran for a good hour last night without the gear slipping off. So thats one problem solved !

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:08 pm

Hi Guys.

Havent been posting much recently, but I have been very busy indeed.

As you've probably all been reading in the news, my employer, british airways are trying to encourage employees to work for free or take unpaid leave... so I'm doing my bit for the company and taking 2 months off starting week after next. cant wait.

Havent really touched my layout for a few weeks apart from a few running sessions.

I have been pre-occupied with building my shop layout. So thought I'd post a few pics of the progress. Its 5ft x 1ft, and its main purpose will be for testing locos, and displaying any unboxed 2nd hand locos i have. It features lots of lights, and a smoking chimney. Just needs the backscene board fixing to the back and its just about there.

Heres a kit I built this morning, a Genesis girder wagon. Went together very easily indeed. Given it 2 coats of primer, just needs airbrushing black, and weathering!

The air compressor that I bought is proving invaluable. Cant believe I was wasting so much money on cans of air. I'm weathering lots and lots of locos at the moment and its a great piece of kit.

Cheers
Gareth

Geo6606

Postby Geo6606 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:05 pm

That little layout looks nice. Have you got an online site for your shop?

roadie stu

Postby roadie stu » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:55 am

DrStroganoff wrote:Hi guys.. Quick question...

Thats a Hornby Hymek, It is one of the later Margate-produced ones... But it has a problem, and I'm wondering whether some knowledgable person can help me.

Notice the gear that the red arrow is pointing to... the little one in the middle. The loco runs fine for a few minutes, but this gear gradually slips away from the other gears until it is making no contact with them and the motor just spins freely. The gear then just needs pushing back down until it is making contact again.

This part obvioulsy shouldnt move about as freely as it does... so what do you recommend for keeping it in place ?

Thanks in advance

When I replaced the Motor on My HST I used a blob of sloder on the end of the shaft and it has held it ok, using solder will also make the removal of the gear easy if needed, you will just need a solder sucker to remove the solder once you heat it up
Hope this helps
Stu
If You Can't Fix It With A Hammer......You've Got An Electrical Fault

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:09 pm

Thanks for the tip Stu. I'll remember that one. :)

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:37 pm

Hello. I thought I'd show off a picture of my latest project thats been keeping me busy...

I'm building a replica of a 60's Tri-ang shop display. I really wanted one, but I cant find much in the way of Tri-ang shop items. So I got the sketchbook out and made a rough plan, using the dimensions given in Pat Hammonds Triang book for the original display unit. Got the timber from B&Q and set about making it. I think its pretty cool so far ! Bloomin heavy though.

I've today ordered a roll of red vinyl which is going to cover the sides and the top panel (where there will be a big yellow Tri-ang logo.). And also ordered some yellow felt, which will cover all of the levels.

So heres where I'm at so far...

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:35 am

That looks like a nice piece of joinery... if my eyes don't deceive me... that looks life solid timber shelves! I bet its heavy! It will look really nice when finished though! :D

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”