Time to Tear It Up & Start Again ! New Steam Layout Pla

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Infrontcat

Re: Time to Tear It Up & Start Again ! New Steam Layout Pla

Postby Infrontcat » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:05 am

Hi doc, good to see things are ticking over nicely. Hurry up and get those lights done though...I wanna see that station lit up and splendid in a classic 'night-time' shot ;)

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:27 pm

Hey Tim !

Pfft, dont talk to me about lights.. the platforms have been on my dining table for over a week now... I put long strips of copper wire underneath them, and then fed the lights through and soldered them all in, applied power and only one worked !!! :lol:

I cant work it out... each of the lights work individually when i touch the wires to a battery. So anyway I've given up for now... The lights arent much cop anyway, they were only cheapies I got from ebay a good while ago. Maybe time to invest in some new ones !

I'm hopefully going to get around to doing some scenery this afternoon/weekend. I've been too busy playing trains now that I have a continuous loop going on ! :roll:

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:05 pm

Lets kick this new page off like we mean to go on.... with some pictures !!

I've had my first crack at using hanging basket liner on the layout today, as I've seen it used to great effect in some layouts on here. Still needs trimming, and a bit of fine scatter on it, but I really like it !

Mrs is away this weekend, so I've been in the loft all day practically, apart from a trip to hobbycraft this morning for a few bits. Got some big A1 sheets of sky blue paper, going to try to fashion some kind of sky/backdrop... thinking I'm going to try airbrushing some clouds onto it.

I'm still chugging away at the ballasting... done a fair bit of it now, but theres quite a lot to do still... once thats done n dusted I'll crack on with painting the rails rusty... and maybe airbrushing over the general track areas with a bit of muck :)

And as Ste234 suggested a heavily weathered truck, I dug out the breakdown crane today and seriously weathered it up to match the 2-6-4t !

Heres the pics:

Started the junction at the front of the layout:

I felt B&W was more forgiving to my weathering:

Been playing with some scatter by here:

My new(ish) ViTrains 37.. all weathered up

And again:

And one more black n white to finish off !

Class 66

Postby Class 66 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:08 pm

Lovely work on the layout DrStrog :)

Your addicted to using the airbrush now aren't you ? Very well done though and looks the part. Nice work.

Although I must admit I love the West Country loco....... Must try and source one of those.

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:28 pm

Pics! Yay!

Excellent to see the track ballasted, at least in part; and hooray for hanging basket liner! As far as the weathering goes - I'm liking the truly messed up crane, but top marks go the 37 - it looks very realistic!

Keep the updates coming!

Cheers,
Gavin

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:32 pm

Hey guys, cheers for the kind comments !

Well actually I cheated with the 37... the previous owner had weathered it with what I assume was a railmatch spray can or similar.. I've just gone over it again with the airbrush in a slightly lighter shade of filth... and I added the bufferbeam detailling bits..

Class 66, yep, I'm loving the airbrush !!! Weathering everything in my path ! :D

ste234

Postby ste234 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:36 pm

That weathering looks good on the crane, a colour photo would be nice :wink:
Cheers,
Ste.
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:43 pm

So ya like cranes do ya? Well heres 2 ! Todays project has been salvaging a hornby 75ton crane that I bought a while back that needed restoration. So I've fitted oleo buffers, sprayed it black and weathered it up a bit. In my haste to get the airbrush out I forgot to apply any kind of lettering/numbering to the crane. Oh well.

The 2 of them, in colour!

Heres the coronation slowly rolling out of the station, past some new bushes!

And look what the postie brought me this morning! Nostalgia ! I had one of these when I was about 10 years old. I had Tolgus, a Pacer and a Class 25. So when I saw this one on ebay for a fiver I had to rescue it! It doesnt like Peco crossovers mind, it practically jumps off the rails !

Tomorrows plan is to tackle the backscene !

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:00 pm

Just a quick update with 2 pics showing what I've been upto today !

Heres the backscene inplace... havent bothered adding any clouds yet.. dont have any white paint ! Its just hobbycraft blue card, stuck down onto some B@Q board... the flimsy stuff, I forget what its called.
Also did a bit of scenery around the marketplace to brighten things up a bit. Going to put those nice red apple trees around the perimeter of this area.

Have stretched myself to the limits (literally) to reach the back of the layout! I decided to put the factory buildings along the back... rather than nothing! All the buildings have lights, and a smoke generator in the chimney. So it should look good all lit up.

And theres another weekend over :( Today has just flown by... didnt get up till 1 mind :lol:

trains!

Postby trains! » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:26 pm

Wow! Your layout looks almost complete from those views! What trees are you using? i was going to make my own till i saw the model tree shop at an exhibtion. I payed £1.25 i think for an apple tree, ill get a pic up tomorow.
Jake
Modelling Jakey's Junction!....
See here for my plan:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19546

Part of NRM'S officail freight masters
dudes club :cool:

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:32 am

trains! wrote:Wow! Your layout looks almost complete from those views! What trees are you using?

Well its far from complete!! I'm just being selective with the photography :wink:

As for trees, I remembered that I have 24 Bachmann scalescenes trees from the last layout, so I'll have to dot them about somewhere!

Ahhh I'm off work next week, my first holidays for 6 months, I cant wait. Got lots to do on the layout! And on another note, I'll also hopefully be looking at some premises for my shop! Gonna bite the bullet and take it to the next level ! :D woohoo

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:26 pm

Hello all

I've been busy this week working on the track.. rusting it all (nearly), and then today I had a crack at airbrushing 'sleeper grime' over it... Looks pretty good I think, had to give it all a damn good clean before running any locos on it though !

I also took some videos of the EMU zooming around tonight.. so I might put a video together later! Im finding the Tenshodo motor bogie needs a lot of regular maintenance to get satisfactory running... I seem to be constantly cleaning the wheels... but thats probably just down to my filthy track! I dont like handling the EMU because I'm worried I'll break something! Its rather fragile being a kit .

A shot of the weathered track work

I like this one of the 37... that yellow light is the EMU flying past!

:)

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:18 pm

DrStroganoff wrote:that yellow light is the EMU flying past!

I thought Emus were flightless birds? :mrgreen:

The trackwork looks really good mate. Looking forward to seeing it all a bit more clearly - from what I can tell, it all seems very neatly ballasted and the long grass seems to have worked really well!

Cheers,
Gavin

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:04 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:I thought Emus were flightless birds? :mrgreen:

Ahh comedian are we? :wink:

Cheers Gav. The lighting in the loft is a bit naff... have only got 3 lamps up there. Need some kind of strip lighting I can fix along the joists above the layout really.

Anyway, heres a little video that I've been messing around with this morning.. Its a bit grainy, apologies for that... I blame the lighting :)

Lewis Nash

Postby Lewis Nash » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:00 pm

hi dr strog

its great the see the layout emerging from the ashes of the old layout.the video was great as it shows how the layout operates and you can see all the scenic work which has taken place recently.

GOOD JOB! :D

Lewis
NASHTON
website- http://nashton.webs.com/index.htm

ARPLEY STREET
http://arpleystreetmodelrailway.webs.com/
class 60 preservation group-http://www.c60pg.co.uk/
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”